Narrowcast and AM Narrowband Radio

It seems like an odd place to start a narrowcast station with such an elaborate setup. Probably need 50-100K to run it in a tiny market barely served by commercial stations because they’ve struggled to make any money out it.

there website also states they are on VAST and I haven’t ever seen them show up on there

I also didn’t notice a 87.8 when I was in town a month of so ago

1 Like

Well if I know anything about Jason Stead, he would argue its meant to be but ACMA doesn’t like him.
He has in the past said Hott FM was on many many frequencies around Sydney which it never was…

How To Listen – Hot FM (Takes a while to load)

I can confirm that Kix Country is active on 87.6 from Swan Hill, I picked it up the other day in the car from Ballarat to Bacchus Marsh when some conditions were in.

2 Likes

Wonder how long before HotFM fall foul of ACMA.
Multiple music genres - Classic Hits & Country, plus a comedy hour, travel show, sports program…yeah!
You’d think they’d do some research and look at how other stations have been breached in the past - FAB FM, 88 Central West!

1 Like

It was Italian radio in mid January, how can you be so certain it was from Swan Hill, KIX Country is listing Hamilton also being on the same frequency which I think is more likely from that location

1 Like

A station can be narrowcast because of limited coverage area. If it’s low power and doesn’t cover as much of an area as a broadcast station then that could be enough.

Yes but not quite in this case, the Broadcasting Services Act 1992 states:

Open narrowcasting services
(1) Open narrowcasting services are broadcasting services:
(a) whose reception is limited:
(i) by being targeted to special interest groups; or
(ii) by being intended only for limited locations, for example, arenas or business premises; or
(iii) by being provided during a limited period or to cover a special event; or
(iv) because they provide programs of limited appeal; or
(v) for some other reason; and
(b) that comply with any determinations or clarifications under section 19 in relation to open narrowcasting services.

ACMA wouldn’t deem a 1W or higher power LPON to be limited in coverage & used as a narrowcast station with a wide variety of programming under the condition of 1 (a) (ii) & HotFM (in question) doesn’t fit any of the other conditions either.

You can also have a HPON (High Power) with large coverage area as a narrowcast if it meets any of the other conditions.
Limited coverage outside what the act says i.e. an arena or business premises is not acceptable as being classed as Narrowcasting, & that includes even it it only goes around the block from your house with a variety of programming or something not meeting any of the other conditions.

4 Likes

RFBurns - That’s my understanding of the rules… being low power alone is not enough to be classed as Narrowcast (unless confined to a premise like a shopping centre or sports stadium). Narrowcast = Narrow format. Hot FM looks far too broad!

5 Likes

Yes, it’s an established principle that a service isn’t a narrowcast service by limited coverage area alone. It must be limited in some other way. I think the ACMA have made a determination to this effect (under (1) (a) (b) above) which has the effect of nulling (1) (a) (ii), because narrowcasting services must comply with both parts (1) (a) and (b).

1 Like

But there have ben stations on those frequencies in the past that might be considered broad appeal, but the coverage was limited to a small part of a bigger market, e.g. a few suburbs in Melbourne or a small part of the Gold Coast.

However, I also remember that someone tried to get wider coverage in a market by having the same program on a bunch of small coverage transmitters, and this was deemed to make it no longer a narrowcast service, or something like that.

Denis Scanlan posted this item on Facebook a couple of days ago.

3 Likes

Not long, they are over 75KHz modulation and wiping out other stations

Sounds like they are trying to be 4VL’s rival - 4RR FM (The Community Station) use to try that (trying to copy the 4VL format).

Surprised they’ve gone to the full investment of building new studios. There’s not much money in the Charleville market with a population of only around 3,500 - and I worked there TWICE for 4VL/4CCC.

I give it a few weeks until the owners of 4VL/West FM (Still Resonate?) kick up a stink with the ACMA.

2 Likes

Not long… trust me. :wink:

2 Likes

4IP… still a class act after all these years.

1 Like

According to the Kix Country coverage map on their website the only 87.6 in Victoria is Swan Hill, Hamilton is on 88.0

1 Like

ACMA database says otherwise.

87.6 is Ace Radio - ACMA Register of Radiocommunications Licences (RRL)
88.0 is Seventh-day Adventist / Faith FM - ACMA Register of Radiocommunications Licences (RRL)

1 Like

It only lists frequencies for Geelong, Swan Hill & Hamilton but has 5 dots on the map for Victoria.

1 Like

Given where the pin for their Queenstown transmitter is, I don’t think their map is put together with much care.

I think the main take away is that if radio stations themselves can’t even keep up to date with their own frequencies, how are listeners discovering them? Most of the Christian narrowcasters have the idea that many will be following or getting a newsletter or potentially their local congregation telling them about the gift of a Vision repeater, but for the more general narrowcasters, how are you getting the word out that SEN Track or KIX is on air, if they seemingly don’t even know themselves?

4 Likes