Narrowcast and AM Narrowband Radio

The RNA has started but still seems to be a blank carrier on 89.9.

1 Like

The ACMA database has it registered to an NW Group Australasia. With a bit of Googling, it comes up to an AV company that supplies audio and visual services for the Ekka. Likely the frequency only comes alive for the Night time entertainment soundtrack perhaps?

https://www.nwgroup.com.au/case-study/ekka/

3 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. When I did try last night but still didn’t hear anything.

1 Like

Surprised Hutchy did not put an offer in for 1611 kHz Albany when it was available last year when previous owner Great Southern Weekender wound up operations.

Gold MX now owned by Barricades Media often plays very abstract music, sort of straying from their tight 60’s, 70’s, 80’s and whatever format.

1 Like

I think the 91.6 (2CR,etc) transmitter in Sydney is on air again?

I just happened to be up Centrepoint Tower a couple of weeks ago & saw this transmitter, it’s very basic & a crude set up & is operated/maintained by Vertel Communications https://www.vertel.com.au

It’s on Tower level 10, which is right at the top of the turret, next level up is outside on the roof.
DAB+ transmitter is on level 9 but at some stage over the next year, it’ll be moved to level 10 near the 2CR transmitter.

91.6 Transmitter setup

4 Likes

Not surprised!

Vertel are to blame for the loss of coverage of 95.5 4WK, 102.7 4DDB from Mt Kynoch, Toowoomba.

Shame on you Vertel.

1 Like

I think you might be confusing companies mate, the tower that 4WK and 102.7 are on is owned by Comtel Toowoomba

1 Like

ACMA’s Radcom database has led me astray then. It lists 95.5 and 102.7 as on Vertel’s tower.

1 Like

Maybe Comtel bought it off them… Hmm :thinking:

1 Like

Crude or not, the 2CR signal on 91.6 gets around greater Sydney well. Been enjoying listening to 2CR today. I can report excellent signal into all of the basin.

3 Likes

ACMA report 328 watts ERP, from the image posted, this looks like a 300 watt Broadcast Warehouse transmitter. Very nice!

It does; it even makes it down to Bungendore during weak to moderate tropo.

Whenever I see 2CR though, I think of the 50 kW blowtorch on 549 kHz.

1 Like

I have noticed that 87.6 River fm have turned down their signal quite significantly recently.
This is on both my dx setup, and car radio while driving in my local area.

I wonder if they were exceeding their 1.64W ERP limit?

1 Like

Interesting, im getting a much better Signal in Penrith now, rock solid! Maybe they moved transmitter sites?

3 Likes

I wonder?
Near city I always receive the arabic station, but when I use the FM Co-ch canceller I suspect (?) I’m receiving an improved signal from River FM.
River FM always have a wider deviation than the arabic station, so not so difficult
to hear River FM underneath.

1 Like

Thats cool, how does the co channel canceller work, do you use phased yagi antenna or is it software?

1 Like

It’s a plug in on the SDR# software. No need for elaborate antenna phasing systems!

2 Likes

Narrowcasting has been extended to 2035… I believe the long extension is thanks to anra.org.au who spent a lot of time lobbying the Government on behalf of their members.

3 Likes

Any use of Band 1 (47-68 MHz) yet?

Excellent work to all involved, the industry needs certainty and this decision provides just that.

1 Like