Narrowcast and AM Narrowband Radio

Pity they didn’t make these hoarder networks running basically commercial operations have to apply for commercial licenses so the band is used for its intention to allow local broadcast operators

1 Like

A couple of corrections here…

1. There is no restriction on narrowcasters to operate commercially (i.e. for profit) as long as their programming as a whole is deemed to be narrowcast by the ACMA.

2. Narrowcast programming is not intended to be local, its intended to be narrow, providing a niche, serving special interest groups, etc. Infact, often when a narrowcast operator increases local content, it becomes in breach because this local content broadens the appeal of the service too much.

No system is perfect and its hard to unscramble the egg, but we are lucky in Australia to have a diversity of broadcasting options: commercial, narrowcast, community, national, etc.

Yes, we are heard in many establishments in Albany.

1 Like

I’m the new owner of GoldMX, and we voluntarily pursue a heavy focus on local content, the local music scene is very dear to my heart and as such I’m happy to highlight it and give local artists a platform to have their work heard, which helps local venues as well to find out about the diversity of music being made here in the Deep Dark South.

6 Likes

Good to hear of a Narrowcast Frequency been used for local content
Welcome to the group and hope you have success with your format and local content

2 Likes

To engage in the debate here, what you’re saying is indeed correct, however it is the real-world application of the system that lets down listeners.

The LPON system is meant to provide for hyper-localised narrowcast content over a small area - the old 88FM tourist radio stations in country towns were a great example of that. Instead now though, we have an outcome where the same networked content is broadcast over dozens of LPON licences across a city/area, which defeats the purposes of them being local low-power broadcasts.

I’d far rather give the mobs such as Vision a high-power AM narrowcast licence in each capital city to broadcast their program on, if they would in return vacate the multitude of 87.6 licences they occupy in the same area. One transmitter/frequency broadcasting their niche content would better serve the community and their listener base, as it would provide wider and better coverage, and would leave the LPONs open to a more appropriate localised use.

5 Likes

I think this is what youll see over time, many of the larger networks will transition from low power LPON to high power HPON narrowcast licences, infact in a way its already underway. Given that AM is being vacated by commercial radio, this would be a great opportunity for more HPONs.

I always thought low power AM could be used more as well, with say 50 watts (ERP) on AM you could have coverage of about 10km but wouldnt be enough power to provide any night skip, so you could have a reasonably close re-use distance, of say 50km. Another advantage of low power is that you could use a higher power transmitter and have a short stick antenna to keep costs low.

I like the idea, but I don’t think that’s what’s happening, though. There was a mention somewhere around here that any vacated AM frequencies are being reserved for potential digital services that will no doubt lean towards ABC, SBS and commercial radio.

2 Likes

In Hobart this weekend

6 Likes

Hobarts home of the hottest new scriptures…Vision 104.3 :laughing: :laughing:

(Yes this was intended as a joke)…

4 Likes

Yes noticed the VisionAM radio channel on VAST is running this test feed

2 Likes

ACMA finds One Central West FM88 breached licence condition

New South Wales-based radio station One Central West FM88 has been found to have breached a licence condition following an investigation by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA).

One Central West FM88 holds a licence to provide an open narrowcasting service. These licences are issued for the purpose of niche broadcasting and must be limited in some way, such as being targeted to special interest groups or being provided for a limited period of time or for a special event.

An ACMA investigation found that One Central West was broadcasting a mix of content, including live-hosted and automated music programs, and news and weather bulletins that would likely appeal to a general audience in the broadcast area.

“One Central West FM88 was not providing open narrowcasting in accordance with its licence,” ACMA Chair Nerida O’Loughlin said.

“All broadcasters must comply with their licence conditions at all times and there are potentially serious consequences for not doing so.”

The ACMA has accepted a court-enforceable undertaking from One Central West FM88 requiring it to change its programming so that the service is limited as required under the law. The ACMA will monitor the broadcasts of the station over the next 12 months.

If the licensee fails to comply with the narrowcasting rules the ACMA may take steps to suspend or cancel their licence.

2 Likes

There first question addressed in the investigation report, specifically looking at “Is One Central West FM88 targeted to special interest groups?”, perhaps raises some questions about other potential narrowcast services.

As part of the justification in the ruling they had against the station in this case, was based on the Narrowcasting Guidelines which says:

"…that services with a music-based format would not meet the narrowcast criteria on the basis that the reception is limited by being targeted to ‘special interest groups’.

Surely by doing this, ACMA is potentially setting a precedent for other complaints to be made about similar music genre focused narrowcast services around the rest of the country?

2 Likes

I feel like classic hits is not a genre that cannot fit in the narrowcast criteria (even though a large majority of narrowcast stations are classic hits).

I always look at what’s been covered in the commercial radio world and if there’s a commercial station doing it then ACMA has an argument that it’s not a narrowcast format.

I spoke with Angie who runs Raw FM and he made a very good point, the more elements you add to your station Eg. news, weather, a broad music genre, the more you will appear on ACMA’s radar and them targeting you as not been narrowcast.

4 Likes

I reckon the vast majority (probably 100%) of these complaints about narrowcast stations are initiated by the incumbent commercial broadcaster. The ACMA are not in the business of randomly listening to narrowcast stations to ensure that they are compliant. Complaints based self regulation is the applicable mantra.

2 Likes

Fair point, I suppose the argument could be made, don’t have a format that makes the incumbent commercials unhappy as they will win everytime.

1 Like

Though in the case of Myall Coast Radio (Tea Gardens) a while back, it may have been one of the community broadcasters that complained. That complaint perhaps has more merit, since Myall Coast were ostensibly running a community like radio station without the attendant obligations (such as the rather onerous licence renewal process) that a community broadcasting licensee must service. I am biased though since I work in community radio…

2 Likes

Could it be drafted or provided in submissions by CRA? They seem to “assist” ACMA for many matters the public service used to do themselves.

A freedom of information application would be fascinating to this and so many lead ups to decisions made by ACMA.

Certain to be far from transparent or as expected.

1 Like

An FOI request will most likely redact that information - as an example, see this complaint about a Hobart LPON in February this year.

(Edit: Or, like in the case of Fab FM Port Douglas, perhaps an FOI request would indeed show that a complaint was made from/by CRA.)

2 Likes

I think its reasonable to assume that was lodged by a commercial operator in Hobart…Just look at the disclaimer at the bottom and the layout of the email…Looks abit different to my gmail…

1 Like