Narrowcast and AM Narrowband Radio

I wonder why there is no AFTRS Television broadcast from the Royal Easter Show.

1 Like

Probably a number of reasons, but among them would have to be the fact that Sydney doesn’t have a community television station anymore while it seems unlikely that any of the mainstream channels would carry AFTRS-produced programming.

For what it’s worth, I’d probably watch something like “Show TV” quite a lot if it were to exist. But I guess the YouTube livestreams on the Sydney Royal Easter Show’s official channel will be as good as it gets in the foreseeable future.

Easily fixed by your next paragraph, Youtube livestream. Or can be hosted on their own site. Streaming video and audio isn’t that hard with as good bandwidth is now available. If you can run Netflix, this is as simple if not more.

Yeah maybe, although I suspect it’d be more expensive for AFTRS to do a “Show TV” type-thing with presenters on-air between events (they’d have to make it look/feel a bit more like proper TV coverage than the feed shown on the big screen in the main arena, I think) compared to Show Radio which if the slightly off timing with the music beds is anything to go by, seems to be mostly automated apart from talk segments between the country music, ads/sponsorship breaks and Macquarie National News.

1 Like

Noted it was on air yesterday.

2 Likes

Yes, I heard it too.

Not sure how long it’s been back on for.

2 Likes

Refreshing to read discussion about narrowcast and AM NAS other than Show Radio, thanks @ozbark and @Radiohead

2 Likes

Lol! I didn’t really say much, but thanks @crankymedia :grin:

1 Like

SCA have found a use for 99.1FM Toowoomba. Well, sort of.

You’ll Always Know What We’ll Play Next?

4 Likes

Fart noises would’ve been far more useful.

Surely ACMA wouldn’t be too fond of that

I suppose Bill might complain if they stuck Classic Rock Digital on there…

Does anyone know whether Kids FM is still on air in the Latrobe Valley (91.9)? The outlet at Leongatha (91.3) has gone.

I can’t recall ‘stunting’ (placeholder stations) being used in Australia before. The closest would be the Kiss Digital joke that Classic Rock Digital played on their first day. It’s a common practice in the US.

I recall that 2UW played a looped announcement for a couple of days before the launch of the disastrous Magic 11 in 1984.

2 Likes

This probably won’t help much, but a year ago it was Kids FM.
Maybe David Burton knows or has received a recent SCA HQ edict?

1 Like

While trawling through my old posts on Stereo.net (see this post), I stumbled on some discussion concerning the Vega 95.3 launch. Vega stunted with Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin songs for about a week prior to launch. I was gullible enough to think that this was going to be the format :open_mouth:.

I guess Nova 969’s birdsong also counts as stunting.

5 Likes

I have a recording of that Vega test loop somewhere.
On a dx note I can recall someone mentioning on DTV they were able to get Northern Rivers 95.3 into Sydney one final time the very day the test broadcast started transmitting.

4 Likes

Especially given there is no ID of what the station is or where it is coming from… Just the same two songs with a 3 second gap between them

Which makes it fit perfectly into the category of a narrowcast station. No one can claim you’re running a pseudo-commercial service if you lack a music playlist that consists of more than two songs, nor regular station identification and other non-program material typical of a commercial licence.

1 Like

They need a NOVA inspired sweeper

“Never more than two unique songs in a row”.

:grin:

3 Likes

Amazing recollection, well done, thanks for sharing.

1 Like