My Kitchen Rules

That’s why I stopped watching MKR after the 2014 season because it was becoming way too fake. The funny thing is that most people I know who watch MKR find it appealing as it’s everyday cooks cooking in their own home . When often it’s not their place, the menu isn’t their choice and producers can easily favour certain teams menu’s to get a storyline. To have to submit 30 menus before the show and have the producers pick and choose which they cook at any point in the competition is a bit of a joke. I’m with you on the casting thing not being average Joe either, there are clearly people on there that are planted, paid or encouraged to provide drama in order to make a TV show. The fact that every season there seems to be 1 or 2 perfect villains has become far too obvious. It annoys me that viewers are so gullible and keep falling for the same old antics.

1 Like

I think you’ve just described every reality show in existence and since you’re such a big fan of so many of them it’s surprising that you’re blind to seeing the same thing happening in all those other shows. You need to watch UnReal.

How have I described any other show? I’m just comparing the reason a lot of people tell me they watch it compared to the reality of it. Of course every reality show has an element behind the scenes to it to make it more exciting, whether it’s editing, casting etc but MKR is one of the worst for it. That’s my opinion anyway and hasn’t got anything to do with any other show that I may or may not watch.

1 Like

I’m not disagreeing with you. I’m saying that these comments you made, apply to all reality shows:

• producers can easily favour certain teams…to get a storyline.
  • the producers pick and choose…at any point in the competition
  • there are clearly people on there that are planted, paid or encouraged to provide drama in order to make a TV show
  • The fact that every season there seems to be 1 or 2 perfect villains has become far too obvious
  • It annoys me that viewers are so gullible and keep falling for the same old antics.

These teams are a bit too manic and zany for my taste, Cheryl and Matt most of all. I’m praying to every Roman, Greek and Norse god, and any others out there, for them to be eliminated at the first opportunity, so the next three teams have to beat their terrible score.

There is something different about the look of it this year, like they are using a different recording medium or filming style. You know how film looks different from videotape, well this series looks different from past series. It’s a bit soap-opera like, so watching it feels very different even though the content isn’t much different. This change is ruining it a bit for me.

1 Like

Could it be because it is being filmed in HD?

Has been HD for years. Most Australian TV shows are commissioned in HD.

I don’t know, but if that’s the case they should make it look like it always has in SD. My SD TV and recording equipment haven’t changed since last year, but the show looks very different. I’m surprised that changing the video look/quality has such a profound effect on the experience of watching it but for me it’s very detrimental. If this is new technology sweeping the industry then I’m worried it will spread to Masterchef…

1 Like

It’s the reverse actually. Since MasterChef moved to Melbourne 3 years ago it has been filmed in HD. It’s taken until last year for MKR to be filmed in HD (the current season).

Then that suggests that the changed look has nothing to do with HD, because MC didn’t look any different in SD when it moved to Melbourne. It could be an unintended side effect of some other change* or it might have been deliberate to make it look more like a soap opera than a reality show, since that what it is in some ways. Though why they would mess with such a successful show I don’t know.

*I don’t have past series to compare with now, but I’ve noticed when the camera pans, or moves in for a close-up, the image sort of bends and everything at all distances is in perfect focus. Maybe they are using different lenses for this series.

Anna and Jordan got a well deserved 94 points for their three-course Maltese meal. The judges and the other five teams (even including Zana) thought the meals were superb and gave mother and son high marks. They would have got 100 points if not for those small mistakes they made during the cooking process. It is the third highest instant restaurant score in MKR history.
Tonight’s episode will be very interesting as Gianni and Zana finally got their chance to cook.

1 Like

But still said she could do better. :laughing:

Is there any reason the whole cast of MTR refers to capsicums as “peppers”?

In Sydney no one would use the term pepper when talking about capsicum. No self respecting Sydney-sider would ever do that!

Zana may have been branded the villain of this season but she and Gianni proved they could cook. Their cooking effort received 97 points (I think many people were shocked by their high score), the second highest instant restaurant score in the show’s history, just one point shy of Eva and Debra’s instant restaurant last season. The couple made a risky move by having calf liver as main course. There was one team (I think it was Rosie and Paige) who didn’t like liver but reluctantly ate it.
Speaking of scoring, why did Seven insist on not showing guest team scores during last night’s broadcast, even though (based on comments by the teams and Pete and Manu) that Gianni and Zana would get through at the expense of Cheryl and Matt? A tiny improvement was that Seven posted a clip revealing the scores on the MKR website, soon after the episode finished in NSW and VIC, unless previous seasons when the scores were posted online only after the episode finished in WA (which would have meant waiting until near midnight AEDT). This will be inconvenient for overseas fans of this show when they see this episode in a few months’ time.

1 Like

Why? They cooked well and everybody liked their food.

Why would people be shocked? Even the viewers gave them 8 out of 10 and they hadn’t tasted the food.

I think he means the way 7 edited the promo - everyone thought they were going to crash and burn (as is usually the case when the ones who mouth off about how good they are) yet they scored the top score.

1 Like

I reckon people would be shocked as in the promos for the show they led the audience to believe their restaurant was a failure. They focused on her crying and a kitchen that appeared to be on fire.

Fire + tears = failure.

3 Likes

As per usual, it’s just selective editing from the promo department. The smoke in the oven was from something fairly harmless and the breadcrumbs were fine.

Zara was nervous out of her skin last night. She talked the talk and had to walk the walk (and did so, much to her credit). No wonder she cried. The fact that the promos focused on these dramatic moments is fine IMO. That’s what promos are for: to build hype and get people watching. And even though the episode turned out very differently, that’s fine considering it was a very special episode anyway.

1 Like

Your reason was valid - I was also fooled by Seven’s editing, thinking Gianni and Zana burnt the breadcrumbs with smoke coming out of the oven.
But I was thinking that the couple would have got about 80 points, based on comments given by the judges and the other teams, not 97.
In a recent interview, Zana said her relationship with other teams would improve as the competition continued.

1 Like

Has anything been confirmed on group 3?