My Kitchen Rules

Yeah, who would have guessed that the two guys portrayed as innocent ocker bogans would have been allocated dishes to cook with complexity and that the judges would love, and therefore turn out to be great cooks, stunning us all.

:rolling_eyes:

Is my BS radar sharpened this year or is this show just more pathetic than usual?

1 Like

[quote=“Firetorch, post:672, topic:350”]
Is my BS radar sharpened this year or is this show just more pathetic than usual? [/quote]
You’ve just finally woken up to the tricks of the trade, that reality shows employ. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Not at all - there are different shows within a genre. MKR has never been as pretentious and fake as MasterChef with the narrative building - until now.

That’s one of the biggest reasons I’ve never really watched MasterChef.

Bec and Kyle will have a cheeky kiss and the camera will pan to Pete for a smirk and a “that’s the first kiss at an instant restaurant in ‘my kitchen rules’ history”

3 Likes

I agree MKR hasnt seemed as fake and pretentious but they recycle the same stereotypes and same scenarios year after year.

1 Like

Well, they did!

4 Likes

So the elimination twist was that the bottom two teams from each group had to cook off at Kitchen Headquarters to decide which team would progress to the next round. This means each group will have seven episodes (6 instant restaurants plus sudden death cook off). The next group starts next Sunday night.

We had a moment of “um, isn’t that how they always did it?” until I remembered they usually returned to kitchen headquarters (that name!) to do the scores for the final instant restaurant.

Remains to be seen whether they do this each round but it’s an easy way to pad the season out.

Technically 102 isn’t 100 :slight_smile:

In the last two seasons, the scores for the final instant restaurant were revealed inside the Old Darlinghurst Gaol (now part of National Art School) in Sydney. Teams stood on the stage as Manu and Pete critiqued the dishes and gave their scores.

7.30PM WEDNESDAY ON MKR…

In a surprise elimination twist, the bottom two teams - hustlers David & Betty and flatmates Bek & Ash - face off in sudden death to determine the first team to be eliminated from MKR in 2017. Chefs Colin Fassnidge, Karen Martini, Guy Grossi and Liz Egan join Pete Evans and Manu Feildel in Kitchen HQ to judge this epic showdown. No-one wants to be the first to go home!

LEADERBOARD UPDATE

3 Likes

And of course they did. The whole week was set up, in production planning, as a week of ‘record breaking’. What a fizzer if the last team to cook ended up with…a middle of the road score of 60?

And like yesterday, another obviously manipulated menu of dishes with the aim of scoring them highly no matter what. Of course, with a “scary” villain cooking, we needed “scary” dishes. Brains? Oh my God. How awful and scary. Like we haven’t seen them cooked in crumbs, deep-fried and described as deliciously soft a million times before. :rolling_eyes: That sloppy brown main, with limp soggy potatoes, was so obviously not top-notch that even Pete was struggling for words as he attempted to paint it as the best thing since sliced bread. Must not deviate from script!!

I don’t even get the stupid nick name the guy tonight has been given (I don’t know any of their names for the first time, because they all either have no personality, or look rank). Angry angry man? What’s that supposed to mean? Why? Because he’s mumbled a few pre-scripted criticisms of a dish? Boring.

As for the “First Dates” content, I’ve been skipping right through that. We’ve had that dopey blonde that cooked Sunday fawning over that dopey bogan for two weeks. Am I the only one in Australia that couldn’t give a shit?

I hate when they throw in the “history” comment. So over the top.

1 Like

The odds of consecutive scores of 100 or more would have been 1 in 1 million I presume? I could Amy and Tyson broke the record score the night after Tim and Kyle. The siblings obviously knew the flavour combinations and went for odd ingredients, and the judges were impressed with the pork jowl even though they were burned.

I doubt they used the burnt pieces on the final platings. Seeing things go wrong in the kitchen makes good television but in a lot of these cases, they have more pieces of food to cook. The spoilt bits just get chucked out. It’s the teams that don’t cook extra serves that are deemed to fail when things go wrong.

Glad you’re on to them too, Johnson.

Haha, actual lol. :+1:

What did I just read? face palm

2 Likes

The real question: What are the chances of the script in two consecutive episodes in “records week” calling for scores of 100?

Answer: Pretty high

3 Likes

Living up to your cynical name. :laughing: Have you been watching UnReal again. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

WEDNESDAY

Tonight saw the flatmates vs the hustlers in sudden death at kitchen HQ. In the end, Perth’s Bek & Ash were the first team to be eliminated from the competition.

David & Betty - Overall Score: 34/60
Bek & Ash - Overall Score: 31/60

SUNDAY ON MKR

Meet your Group 2 contenders for 2017: sisters Kelsey & Amanda, seafood lovers Josh & Amy, brothers Albert & Dave, ambitious newlyweds Alyse & Matt, foodie friends Della & Tully and married hipsters Court & Duncan - six new teams burning to get into the competition! First to plate up are North West Sydney’s Albert & Dave, who are hoping to set the bar high with their Cantonese creations.