Music

Good that they are recognizing the popularity of Dance Music across the world but I have my doubts about what qualifies as “dance” when I see Heat Waves by Glass Animals at number 3 and Sway My Way by R3hab & Amy Shark. I would not consider these Dance tracks in any way.

1 Like

And that charts are pretty meaningless these days.

3 Likes

True. A third of those songs were released years ago. Obviously heavily influenced by streaming numbers.

2 Likes

As much as I loved the original “Blue” by Eiffel 65, I find the 2022 edition (I’m Good (Blue)) by David Guetta and Bebe Rexha to be rather annoying.

I’m also made to believe that it’s close to or nearly two years since “Heat Waves” by Glass Animals first entered the top 50, too.

2 Likes

Admittedly, I always check the ARIA Charts every Sunday (though they are updated on Fridays I always have a habit of checking them on Sundays) to see if there are any new debuts, where my favourite songs are charting, etc.

I reckon the year’s biggest surprise was Mr Brightside by The Killers - a song released nearly two decades ago that initially debuted on the ARIA Charts on 26/12/2004 and spent nearly three months in the top 50 in the first quarter of 2005. It re-entered the top 50 in the week of 15/12/2017 - two weeks after Jack Riewoldt performed the song with the band at that year’s AFL Grand Final.

This year it re-entered the top 50 in the week starting 16/1/2022, at its peak position of #23. I reckon music executives must have Riewoldt to thank for its success this year!

What did Riewoldt have to do with it this year?

It’s been in the UK charts for about 300 weeks or something all up.

It probably was just slammed a lot at New Year parties and the like, rather than being Jack Reiwoldt four and a bit year’s on.

5 Likes

So nothing remotely to do with Jack then.

Did you know that there was a Christmas version of Coco Jamboo by Mr. President? Well now you do.

Had the misfortune of listening to this the other day (Virgin Radio UK played it) - I get that its for a good cause, but my god its woeful

1 Like

When I looked on the iTunes charts last weekend it had dethroned “Made You Look” as the #1 on the charts.

Also, The Brits love these awful novelty songs especially this time of year though in 2009 Killing in the Name by Rage Against The Machine became the Christmas #1.

1 Like
4 Likes

Bit happening from the UK music scene to start the year.

On January 12, Freya Ridings (who released her international breakthrough hit “Castles” in 2019, peaking at #20 on the Australian charts) drops a new single called “Weekends”. It will be the first one from her second album titled “Blood Orange”.

Then, on the very next day, Mimi Webb drops her new singled titled “Red Flags”. This is the follow up to her UK top 40 hit “Ghost of You” and will also be featured on her debut album “Amelia”.

And finally, at the end of the month, Sam Smith and Ava Max will release their new albums, “Gloria” and “Diamonds & Dancefloors”, respectively (yes, I know Ava Max is American but her album drops on the same day as Smith’s).

NOTE: Comments and likes in both Instagram posts have been edited out

3 Likes

Just for fun, I am looking for travel related songs from the 90s and early 2000s for my theme request segment on the Billy Bob show in Braidwood FM. There seems to be quite a few from 80s/70s but not so much from the 90s although there are a few popular ones (Fly Away Lenny Kravitz) Pop preferred for the show but Rock is ok also. Good to have some rarer tracks but WS FM tracks are ok :slight_smile:.

Examples of songs I have been to Bali by Red Gum, Holiday Road Lindsey Buckingham, Vacation by The Gos Gos. I have found songs from 1980 - 1990, trying to find tracks from 1990 to 2005.

1 Like

Drive related songs from 90s to mid 00s

The Way - Fastball
Drive - Incubus
Hitchin a Ride - Green Day (assuming there is a clean version)
Everyday Is A Winding Road - Sheryl Crow
Green Limousine - Badloves
Motor City - Company Of Strangers

3 Likes

Thanks some good songs there!

2 Likes

Drive - Bic Runga
I Believe I Can Fly - R. Kelly (probably cancelled)
Flying Without Wings - Westlife (not sure if this counts)
In The Aeroplane Over The Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel (bit obscure but an indie favourite)
Buses and Trains - Bachelor Girl (again, a questionable travel link although the chorus mentions several travel accidents)
Vengabus- The Vengaboys

3 Likes

Another one I could suggest is “Drive” by Shannon Noll - a 2004 classic!

3 Likes