Music

I still prefer to buy the cd, I feel it counts more then listening ti streaming it.
I bought ABBS new album when it first came.out (online order). I wonder if online orders of physical cds.count toward the sales and chart positions?

1 Like

Assuming you ordered it from somewhere like JB or Sanity I donā€™t see why it wouldnā€™t.

1 Like

Iā€™m in the UK so I order from HMV.

Yes - I was surprised to see the list of locations where buying a physical copy counts was so small - sad reflection on the shift in how we consume music

There is only still one big chain that sells CDs and thatā€™s JB, Sanity is a shell of what it used to be, the general stores like Big W, Target and K-Mart either dumped CDs a while ago or only have small selections.

I still prefer buying CDs and ripping them to FLAC. By doing this, I can get much more control over the specific versions & mastering of songs. For example, a lot of older hits on Spotify - especially those from the '50s and '60s - are only available as lame re-recordings or remixed versions.

For most people though, I can imagine that the convenience of streaming massively outweighs any disadvantages.

1 Like

I thought this was a fascinating piece on music and a topic which has been debated here and in the radio threads.

1 Like

Depends on your taste of music. I still [refer main stream pop music then whatā€™s currently on offer. I grew up on ABBA so that has influence my taste of music.

1 Like

I might have missed it, but the one thing that the article seems to miss that I think is a major contributor is that the way that we consume music has changed - where only a few years ago the ways that you could hear new music were limited (and quite often limited based on where you live, being able to listen to Triple J in the mid 90s had a significant impact on my music tastes), now with streaming its really easy - butā€¦

It can be really easy to get immersed in particular music (be it an artist or genre or era) with streaming - weā€™re presented algorithmically curated playlists based on our listening habits, but we as the end user donā€™t have any indication of how they choose the music, so you canā€™t exactly alter whats returned without purposefully seeking out ā€œnewā€ music (again, whether that be artist, genre, era or release date). If you are a Spotify user, pay attention to the daily mixes Spotify creates for you over a period of time and see how sensitive they are to what you listen to.

A lot of people (and I put myself in this category) rely on external influences to provide new music (particularly by release date) and for a long time the best option for this was the radio - but as people move away from listening to the radio (and often towards streaming) youā€™re no longer exposed to that ā€˜professionalā€™ (I get that people will have different views on this) curation of music that radio offers and we fall back into old musical habits, listening to music that we like or remember, or have been exposed to through other means (TikTok videos, what your parents may have listened to in the past) because its safe and a known quantity.

It kind of surprises me that the older music that I (and others of my generation) had (and may still) consider daggy or worse is resonating with younger generations today and I donā€™t get why, although I suspect that some of it is down to the ā€œback to the futureā€ (the concept rather the filums) nature of other media weā€™re seeing, TV shows and movies being rebooted/reimagined/reset (something else I donā€™t understand, I feel like Grandpa Simpson a lot these days).

3 Likes

Yeah a really fair set of points.

The music discovery thing is the biggest barrier I think - everything becomes more homogeneous because thereā€™s almost too much to discover (more than ever) you stick to what you know.

I read a lot of music blogs and unless I recognise a name of an artist sometimes I donā€™t give the tracks a go. Perhaps it is just about becoming older too.

The TikTok point is interesting - one of the biggest songs backing the videos on there now is this track from 50 years ago:

Dreams by Fleetwood Mac had that resurgence in 2020 too.

1 Like

In some respects, itā€™s not surprising - external influences have dictated popular music for eons now (how many weeks of ARIA charts have been dominated by songs that have been spawned out of reality tv?), so it stands to reason that music that is included in viral social media posts might become popular. How and why its particular songs is something I donā€™t understand

Meat Loafā€™s Bat Out of Hell returned to the top of ARIA albums chart yesterday, a week after the singerā€™s death. The album spent eight straight weeks in the top spot between June and August 1978.

2 Likes

Sad news Glenn Wheatley passed away.

@dxnerd maybe an idea for rock in stereo is The Masters Apprentices for next Tuesday if you donā€™t have anything lined up for the next show.

1 Like

I have a tribute lined up for the Friday show.

4 Likes

Kudos to SWR breakfast show, Busco did a really good job changing his breakfast show to add music related to Glenn Wheatley.

If you like a great variety of music , he has the best music breakfast show in Sydney in my view.

1 Like

During the 4KQ Sizzling 70s this weekend mention was made of ā€¦

late May 1970, the recording companies imposed a six-month embargo on the supply of promotional records to radio stations. In retaliation, FARB members boycotted all new major label releases by UK or Australian artist

This saw a new Fable Label record company that did allow its records to be played on the radio and saw several new artists appear that would otherwise not have made the charts at the time.

1 Like

Maybe time for an updated version?

4 Likes

Delta Goodrem has been forced to cancel the New Zealand leg of her Bridge Over Troubled Dreams Tour, due to continuing COVID-19 travel restrictions for Australian tourists. She was due to perform at three concerts in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch on three consecutive nights, from March 30 to April 1.

1 Like