Music

Another example of how ridiculous the charts are these days.

Glass Animals go back to number one on the ARIA Singles after hitting number one a year ago, appearing in the chart for 65 weeks with most of the time spent in the top 10.

Kid Laroi moves back up to number 2 with Stay after 34 weeks and hitting number one three times already.

Ed Sheeran with Bad Habits also moving up again to number 3 after 36 weeks on the chart. Elton John/finally drops to number 4 after hitting number 1 twice after 29 weeks.

Elsewhere in the top 50 we have Dreams by Fleetwood Mac, Mr Brightside by The Killers, Without Me by Eminem and We Run The Night by Havana Brown. What the hell?

1 Like

The amusing nature that is music streaming.

2 Likes

It’s sad that the charts have no meaning anymore…

I used to love the weekly Top 40 countdowns.

4 Likes

You should see the number of songs that get obscene certifications from the RIAA in the US. There are artists who have several songs that have at least a 10x Platinum certification. It’s absolute nonsense.

It’s also why something like Drake getting the Top 5 songs on Billboard a couple of years back feels so hollow when compared to what The Beatles did in 1964 when they achieved that feet when people actually had to buy the physical discs rather than pay their $10 a month to get unlimited access.

3 Likes

Ok boomer.

Such weird things happening on the charts these days.

I mentioned previously how Glass Animals went back to number one on the ARIA Singles charts after hitting number one a year ago, appearing in the chart for 65 weeks with most of the time spent in the top 10.

The song has only hit number one in the UK a few weeks ago and is setting a few new records on the charts there. Now the song has also hit number one in the US after 59 weeks on the chart and also setting a new slow burning record.

1 Like

Toni Childs now an Australian citizen.

3 Likes

The Wiggles topping the charts and Russia at the forefront of global security concerns. High inflation and maybe a recession to come as well. It’s 1991 all over again. I hope we get a snowy winter like 1991 as well…though that’s unlikely to happen.

1 Like

Glass Animals still at nimber one on the ARIA Singles charts fir three weeks running after hitting number one a year ago and appearing in the chart for 68 weeks. Now, Ed Sheerin is threatening the top spot with Bad Habits moving back up to number two after 39 weeks.

The charts are broken. The way ARIA uses streaming listens to determine the charts is skewed to always favour the same old artists and the algorithms used by streaming services to provide music to their subscribers has destroyed any real measurement of success these charts previously provided.

You can’t compare these artists with performances from the past even though everyone in the media constantly does. A major overhaul is needed with the way these charts are compiled.

4 Likes

Amy Shark’s embarking on a regional Australia tour.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Wanna feel old? This song turns 23 today.

The debut album by Wet Leg is now #1 on the ARIA album chart. I’ve been really enjoying this one, so it’s great to see it have some chart success.

Of course, no tracks have crossed over to mainstream commercial radio, and I don’t see this situation changing any time soon. Pretty amazing to have a #1 album with no airplay, but that’s just the radio business these days :laughing:

Maybe we should not be surprised about how out of touch radio is these days.

First Class by Jack Harlow debuted at number one on the Singles Chart surprisingly pushing Harry Styles to number two after one week. I’ve never heard it before and it’s had no radio airplay on any radio station I’ve been listening to.

1 Like

CHR / Top 40 stations will be playing it in a few months saying it’s “brand new”, as they always have with alternative acts that Triple J play for months, if not years prior to chart success.

1 Like

this song is still beautiful to this day <3

2 Likes