Music

The artists are weighing in too.

CHR airplay? I know Evacuate The Dancefloor got flogged on radio back in the day, don’t know about the former though

Now the Album charts are going to be manipulated with streaming listens rather than sales. I still think it’s ridiculous to include streaming listens to the charts. They should only count each unique listener otherwise it’s like selling one album and counting the multiple times it was played rather than the sale.

^I suspected this was the case.
The charts have become meaningless now and comparing the charts today to the past is unfair to the legends of the past.

ARIA to use streaming figures using a complicated formula for album chart for the first time
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/music/aria-introduces-streaming-figures-to-australian-album-chart-for-the-first-time/news-story/1dd2970d9ac7da01bb172937ab52d144

1 Like

I agree, only download/CD sales should be counted.

1 Like

Then you’d get a much smaller sample size and completely ignore a whole subset of music listeners. You need to recognise the streaming figures somehow because that is a key way music is distributed now, more so than sales in most instances.

If you count just digital sales and CDs you’d be left with an ever decreasing sample size.

I agree streaming should be counted to the growth of a track. The thing I always come back to ask myself is if they used streaming would they use the big four - Soundcloud, Spotify, Pandora and Apple Music or all of them or one of them. There are so many streaming sites and some artists (like Taylor Swift) don’t release their songs for streaming because of a multitude of reasons. It would kinda be unfair (some artists still don’t post to Soundcloud, yet that’s the largest streaming service). Soundcloud is dominated by one genre: Trap^. There are at least 12/16 songs that are of that genre (s/o to Flume) [1]

Take a Swift song, it’s only on a few streaming sites (I think Play Music and Apple Music), even though they garner a lot of radio play (and if they counted all streaming services) her tracks wouldn’t chart as well and even though it would make the airwaves and charts more diverse but would hurt the bigger artists if it was this way.

It would be interesting though if it happened that way!

^Trap is then sectioned off into a load of other sub genres (Rap Trap, EDM Trap, Hard Trap, Hybrid Trap, Future Trap, Heaven Trap etc etc)

1 Like

If they must measure streaming services then it should include all of them and it should be just unique listens. It’s completely screwed up if they’re measuring a song for having millions of listens and it comes out ahead compared to somgs that are multi-platinum sellers.

1 Like

Both great points and I can be grateful I’ve now heard heaven trap. I think I read something that only 10 streams per person per day counted on charts? Can’t remember if that was per track or what.

1 Like

But which ten get counted then? I imagine there are people out there who could be listening to their favourite song ten times a day which potentially could artificially inflate the charts.

Unsure.

Here’s the backgrounder to the charts: http://www.aria.com.au/pages/documents/ARIAChartCodeOfPractice-2016April.pdf

That was from a year ago. The recent announcement said album charts wete going to now include streaming joining singlrs charts which have already started using that method.

Pandora is looking for a buyer, with Sirius XM Satellite Radio being possibly interested. The company has lost almost US$500 million in the past 18 months.

1 Like

Didn’t their website layout just change significantly recently.

They’ve got such a flawed algorithm. If you put in that you like Stairway to Heaven, some related tracks would be one of The Chainsmokers songs.

In saying that, I really like pandora and I hope someone (other than Spotify) buys then.

1 Like

While reading about Sir Roger Moore this week, I came across what is possibly the worst ranking of Bond theme songs I’ve ever read:

Srsly

It is a shocking list. At least three in the top 10. including number 1, would be closer to the bottom in my opinion.

My first audible scoff came when I saw they’d placed “we have all the time in the world” dead last.

To me, Film scores are usually a bit clunky sounding, James Bond movies are no exception.

Even with Duran Duran’s “A View To A Kill” at #2 on that list, to my ears, it is not a song that flows anywhere near as well as their other big hits, like “The Reflex” or “Girls On Film”. But to me, it is still a better song than most of the others on that list.

In fairness, I don’t recognise this song at all. I think it’s an injustice that Sam Smith’s “Writings on the Wall” was so low and it won a Golden Globe and Academy Award for Best Original song, as did Adele’s “Skyfall”.

In my mind, these should be at the top of the list, not particularly in order:

• Shirley Bassey’s “Goldfinger” and "“Diamond Are Forever”
  • Paul McCartney’s “Live and Let Die”
  • Carly Simon’s “Nobody Does It Better”
  • Duran Duran’s “A View to a Kill”
  • Sheena Easton’s “For Your Eyes Only”
  • Sam Smith’s “Writings on the Wall”
  • Adele’s “Skyfall”
  • A-Ha’s “The Living Daylight”
  • Madonna’s “Die Another Day”
    Then all the rest which are less memorable or unknown.

[quote=“Radiohead, post:57, topic:855, full:true”]
To me, Film scores are usually a bit clunky sounding, James Bond movies are no exception. Even with Duran Duran’s “A View To A Kill” at #2 on that list, to my ears, it is not a song that flows anywhere near as well as their other big hits, like “The Reflex” or “Girls On Film”. But to me, it is still a better song than most of the others on that list.[/quote]
I believe the artists were given a directive to sound a certain way for the theme which explains why that sounds so different to most of their music.

1 Like

shudders

Spotify has the opposite problem. Whenever my playlist runs out, it’ll start trying to find related tracks, but usually only from three or four artists.

So in 10 songs I’ll have some Client Liason come up three times.

2 Likes