Music

I used to collect them too. We had the Sydney sister station 2SM charts. At one stage I think they did a 2SM/3XY combo chart.

Troye Sivan Scores First US Top 40 Hit
His single Youth is number 23

Most of today’s music is crap. I listen to it to get the kids to work in class (via Nova or Apple Music Trending Now), and it does the trick, although I sneak in some of my favourites via my iPod(s), WSFM or More 80s/90s.

The Temper Trap’s “Thick As Thieves” is their second album to hit number one.

http://www.ariacharts.com.au/news/2016/temper-trap-score-second-1-with-thick-as-thieves

The hit radio stations won’t give them airplay in the prime slots but they’re obviously popular. Their single only managed to hit number 50 because of lack of airplay.

Why do stations like Nova and 2Day play quality Australian music like this only after 10pm every night but lumber us with a limited 20 songs on high rotation during the day? Why not mix it up throughout the day? Do they just play an Aussie-heavy playlist after 10pm to rack up their Australian content quota?

1 Like

Yep. That’s why the likes of Wolfmother’s “Joker and the Thief” and Empire of the Sun keeps getting flogged, instead of adding newer releases in.

I wrote to Nova telling them how bad their playlist is these days because it is so highly repetitive. This is the reply I got.

The reason people tune in for short periods of time is because they don’t like the repetition and switch off. They just don’t get it.

4 Likes

Sia has just hit number 1 in the US Billboard 100 with Cheap Thrills

Flume (featuring Kai) has also risen in the chart this week to 25 with Never Be Like You

5 Seconds Of Summer debuted at 68 with Girls Talk Boys

Jessica Mauboy Makes ARIA History

With her first individual #1 with The Secret Daughter (Songs From The Original TV Series), Jessica Mauboy becomes the first indigenous artist to reach #1 on the ARIA Albums Chart. The Secret Daughter (Songs From The Original TV Series) is the eighteenth Australian #1 album on the ARIA Charts in 2016.

http://www.ariacharts.com.au/news/2016/jessica-mauboy-makes-aria-history

Ed Sheeran has created history by becoming the first artist to have two debut singles on #1 and #2 on the Australian and British singles charts simultaneously. Shape of You is #1 on ARIA singles chart and UK Official Charts Company singles chart with Castle on the Hill at #2.
Also, movie soundtracks occupy the top three positions on the ARIA albums chart for the first time, with Trolls soundtrack at #1, Sing at #2 and Moana at #3. School holiday effect?

Local legends, SLUMBERJACK yesterday teamed up with The Voice Season 2 third placer, Celia Pavey (now known as Vera Blue) and released Fracture.

That was a bit sad about Shannon Noll’s behaviour outside an Adelaide strip club last night.

I haven’t been following his career closely, but I don’t think he has done anything of note for a while.

I never clicked that they were one and the same; the more you know!

Is she trying to distance herself from that show? Seems like The Voice is a hindrance rather than a help to a career.

He also became the first artist ever to have two songs simultaneously debut in the American Top 10 at #1 and #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 Chart.

I’m not a fan of the way record companies release albums these days when they also release all the tracks as singles at the same time. They clog up the singles charts for a few weeks with the same artist.

For example, Ed Sheeren has 16 singles in the Top 50 this week. WTF? The same thing has happened in recent times with Justin Bieber and Beyonce.

Why can’t they just release the albums and just keep releasing the singles down the track as they had been doing for the past 60 years? Do they think they’ll make more money because they charge more for singles?

You would think releasing all the singles like that would hurt album sales though. It certainly reduces the longevity of album sales, by not having singles and music videos slowly released over months.

2 Likes

Interesting question and a very good one too.

Yes back in the good old days it was rare to see the same artist more than 2-3 times in the same weekly Top 40 chart.

I wonder if they only appear to be singles because in iTunes for instance, you can buy ANY track off the vast majority of studio albums separately OR you can buy the entire album.

Yes, it’s more expensive to buy the songs individually (usually $2.19 each) when the entire album is usually around $15-16 (?), still a bit cheaper than buying the CD. And as we know, CD or 7 inch singles no longer exists.

Having said that, to me, having the track released as a single also means that there should be a video clip for it as well, as was the case in my Top 40 days back in the 80s. I doubt there are video clips for all 16 of Ed’s songs as well?

Here’s an article that analyses this mess in the Singles charts.

2 Likes

Probably helps to explain why we don’t have “Take 40 Australia” anymore.

Perhaps they should change the rules so that to be eligible as a “Top 40” track, it must have a music video clip. For instance, I don’t recall any “Top 40” songs from the 80s that didn’t have a music video clip.

Or that record labels have to nominate eligible “single” tracks for each new album one at a time and release a music video clip with it, and that they are only allowed to nominate additional “single” tracks every 8 weeks (but any song can still be bought as it is now in iTunes/Google Play etc). Radio stations should be encouraged to play those single tracks accordingly.

1 Like

Never known how the ARIA charts run, like why do some songs chart and others don’t (even if they’re good enough to chart and from the same artist).

I honestly don’t understand why Cascada’s first big single - Everytime We Touch didn’t chart in Aus, but Evacuate The Dancefloor did, even though the former song is/was a rave anthem, more so than the latter.

1 Like

The thing I’ve noticed lately is that a single can go Gold or Platinum (so they obviously sell heaps) but are not at the top of the charts. Yet others seem to linger in the top 10 for weeks yet do not sell enough to go Gold or Platinum. It must be because they are getting multiple listens on Streaming services or radio.

If someone bought a CD single, vinyl single or cassingle in the past, they didn’t measure how often it was played. The chart used to be about how popular something was with different people. Now it is influenced by how many times the same people listen to the song. This is madness.