Music

The Taylor Swift and Katy Perry feud continues. Just as Katy Perry is about to release her new album, Taylor Swift has decided to pick the same day to release all her music on every streaming service.

With streaming counting towards chart success these days, I wonder how that might affect chart positions and sales. Just love a good scrag fight. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It was a flop.

1 Like

I just donā€™t know how you can legitimately call the highest selling album in a calendar year a flop. Not good? Agreed. Flop? Hardly.

And I still donā€™t think she will ever top Crazy In Love. #BangerAlert

All on TeamTaylor. Katy Perry hasnā€™t done anything good since Teenage Dream.

1 Like

Coincidentally, Sydney Morning Herald has a piece on her ā€˜failureā€™ today:

1 Like

In other news, the new album from Phoenix was released the other day to streaming. Iā€™m in love with it.

Interesting read. Perhaps she needs to follow the Lady Gaga route and reinvent herself with a ā€˜Million Reasonsā€™ type track.

As for the new Phoenix, havenā€™t heard that yet. loving the new Radiohead and The National tracks though.

Both Lady Ga Ga and Katy Perry have tried different styles of music and that explains the drop in popularity. Some artists are happy to keep rolling out the same sounding pop tracks with continued success but eventually audiences get bored with them too.

Milky Chanceā€™s new album gave me that feeling. No change to his musical style whatsoever since ā€˜Stolen Danceā€™. Boring and utterly German.

Compare that to artists like Foster the People or The Wombats (favourites of mine) - each album is an innovation of some sort.

1 Like

Looks like the UKā€™s Official Charts is making the first step to correcting the problems with streaming services unfairly stuffing up Singles Charts these days.

[quote]
The Official Charts Company is bringing in new rules for its singles chart, in a bid to encourage diversity and new artists to the Top 100. So, does this mean the end of the likes of Ed Sheeran and Drakeā€™s chart dominance? Well, yes, actually.

The new rules include a cap on the number of tracks by any one artist that can feature in the Top 100. So, from this Friday, July 30, only the three most popular tracks by a lead artist will be eligible for the Official Singles Chart. Yep, the days of Ed Sheeran having sixteen songs in the singles chart Top 20 are officially over.

In addition to the cap, the streams to sales ratio will be cut in an attempt to ā€œaccelerateā€ the disappearance of long-reigning tracks from the Official Singles Chart.

After a song has racked up at least 10 weeks in the chart and has declined in sales for three, its streaming ratio will be cut from 150:1 to 300:1, so actual sales become more worthwhile.

Talking to Music Week, the chief executive of the Official Charts Company, Martin Talbot, insisted the rule changes were about ā€œsupporting new musicā€. ā€œThis is not a chart for album tracks; we want to remain the Official Singles Chart, for singles,ā€ he explained.

Martin also added: ā€œItā€™s tougher than ever for new music and developing artists to break through, and this is us doing our bitā€¦ This is about injecting energy back into the chart.ā€

The first chart under the new rules will be revealed on Friday, July 7. The move has been approved by both major and independent record labels, retailers, digital music services and BBC Radio 1 alike, so expect to hear a very different kind of rundown in the future. But weā€™re not so sure Ed and Drake will be all that pleased. Sorry, lads. [/quote]

Good to see the crackdown in album tracks being released as ā€œsinglesā€. I think the reductions in streaming measurements is also necessary but doesnā€™t go far enough since it only kicks in after 10 weeks.

2 Likes

I honestly always found this really strange. A single should really be a taste for an LP, Album, EP or a whole new style of song. It would be really weird hearing something like an prelude or an interlude track in the charts. Honestly not too sure if ARIA has something like this already.

I just checked out the ARIA charts and Iā€™m horrified delighted that Closer by The Chainsmokers is still 13 the dance singles (and has gone platinum tenfold).

They donā€™t. They started giving more weight to streaming and radio airplay and have ended with same rubbish formula for their Singles Charts.

I really think the charts are being stuffed by streaming listens compared to sales. All the big name artists are dominating the charts and therefore radio airplay but it doesnā€™t translate to sales. They need to look at what Britainā€™s doing here and do the same in Australia, if not more so.

This is what annoys me about how under represented songs are in the charts and how they donā€™t get the radio airplay they deserve, as a result.

These songs have gone platinum or gold but hardly get any radio airplay or are seen at the top of the charts:
P The Cure - Lady Gaga (Highest Position 10)
P Waves - Dean Lewis (Highest Position 12)
G Moments - Bliss N Eso Feat. Gavin James (Highest Position 25)
P Symphony - Clean Bandit Feat. Zara Larsson (Highest Position 4)

Meanwhile this stuff is put on high rotation airplay for weeks and is at the top the charts but does not sell as much or much more.
G Strip That Down - Liam Payne Feat. Quavo (Highest Position 2)
P Sign Of The Times - Harry Styles (Highest Position 1)
P Slow Hands - Niall Horan (Highest Position 3)
P Green Light - Lorde (Highest Position 4)

• Your Song - Rita Ora (Highest Position 16)

Itā€™s all very suss.

1 Like

New Killers song is cringe and shithouse.

1 Like

I see 7 inch and 12 inch vinyl singles are making a comeback now too!!

But the pricesā€¦ OMG

JB Hi-Fi has 7 inch singles at around $17-20, and 12 inch at $25-35.
Which is 10 to 20 times the price of the song on iTunes.
Though you do get a B-side with the vinyl (usually).

Back in the 80s, 7 inchers were usually $3, and $6 for a 12 inch.
I know the low vinyl volumes are the main reason for the high prices these days.

A couple of years back I had a look at the JB HiFi collection of vinyls and they were all ~$40.

Had some good stuff on vinyl too - The Wombats and Bluejuice. Was tempted until I realised I didnā€™t have a record player.

1 Like

I was also kind of tempted to buy a vinyl LP just for the feel, smell and nostalgia, but yes, I donā€™t have a turntable either!

Sony Music is launching The ShareSpace in October, a project aiming to find the next pop star. It supposedly replaces X Factor as Sonyā€™s music talent contest.

Itā€™s a shame that the recent success of indie music hasnā€™t transpired onto the ARIA singles chart. Instead, we continue to be subjected to ā€œmasterpiecesā€ such as ā€œLook What You Made Me Doā€ and ā€œDespacitoā€. :roll_eyes:

Just on the topic of indie music, I think itā€™s ironic that indie music is often regarded as being one of the defining genres of this decade, but the genre actually achieved more mainstream success in the Mid-Late 2000ā€™s;

• ā€œForever Youngā€ - Youth Group (reached #1 in 2006)
  • ā€œOne Crowded Hourā€ - Augie March (#29 in 2006)
  • ā€œBetter Thanā€ - John Butler Trio (#16 in 2007)
  • ā€œLittle Lion Manā€ - Mumford and Sons (#3 in 2009)

Thereā€™s plenty more examples, but they are four noteworthy ones. Really, ā€œPumped Up Kicksā€ and ā€œSomebody that I used to Knowā€ are the only indie songs which have achieved mass success this decade.