Music

Youngblood by 5 Seconds of Summer is number 7 on the American Billboard Top 100 chart. It’s funny how slow songs make it to the top of the charts there.

Maroon 5/Cardi B are number one for the sixth week while here it was at the top of the singles charts weeks ago and has been dropping now. Meanwhile Juice Wrld, Post Malone and Khalid/Normani have been climbing the top 10 in the last few weeks when they were at the top of the charts here weeks ago and have already dropped right down.

1 Like

Short but interesting piece about why songs with masturbation as a theme do so well.

Backstreet’s back. :ok_hand::joy: They still got it.

1 Like

A parody song with sales going to charity has gone to number one in the UK.

We Built This City on Sausage Rolls. :joy:

1 Like

Christian MUsic is the best

Not for billions of Buddhists, Hindus and Muslims

6 Likes

Or atheists or agnostics or the multiple religions who aren’t Christianity based.

2 Likes

Mariah Carey’s Christmas classic All I Want for Christmas is You has finally reached No.1 on the ARIA singles chart, 24 years after its chart debut. Remarkable.

Unfortunately charts don’t mean much anymore given the way they are calculated (ie includes streaming as well).

Earlier this year I think Ed Sheeran had 16 songs in the Top 20. That’s saying something - it’s never happened before and I don’t think he’s all that good anyway.

1 Like

I swear i’m the only person on earth who is not a big fan of that song.

Wrong. It’s only an okay song, but I’ve got thousands of other songs on my phone I’d rather listen to.

1 Like

Well if that doesn’t prove that the charts are all completely stuffed up these days then I don’t know what does. The charts should be purely about sales. Streaming should be measured separately.

3 Likes

You have to wonder what percentage of that streaming is retail, offices, etc on top of that which makes the numbers even more dubious compared with the charts pre-streaming.

3 Likes

Indeed. A lot of Christmas songs from the past and some which have never charted. Ridiculous.

1 All I Want For Christmas Is You - Mariah Carey
5 Last Christmas - Wham
8 Do They Know It’s Christmas? - Band
14 Happy Xmas (War Is Over) - John Lennon
18 Santa Tell Me - Ariana Grande
25 Mistletoe - Justin Bieber
30 Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - The Jackson 5
35 Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee
37 How To Make Gravy - Paul Kelly
40 Winter Wonderland - Tony Bennett
42 A Holly Jolly Christmas - Burl Ives
44 Step Into Christmas - Elton John
45 What Christmas Means to Me - Stevie Wonder
47 Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - Sam Smith
49 Run Rudolph Run - Chuck Berry

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue::kissing_heart:

4 Likes

Someone missed December 21st…

What? A number of those songs were in the chart the previous weeks too. That’s not the point.

Your point is repeatedly that it’s ridiculous. But that is what people are consuming. You simply can’t make the chart on sales anymore - that isn’t how people consume music. Digital downloads are down heavily. Physical sales are virtually non-existent. (Mid-Year 2018: Streaming's Continued Growth Defies Mathematical Trends | Billboard) If you did charts solely on sales, the charts would be full of dad rock and old lady easy listening.

It might just be that a Top 40 chart is as much an anachronism as a CD or cassette.

And Chuck Berry, Brenda Lee, Tony Bennett, Burl Ives, The Jackson 5, John Lennon, Stevie Wonder are not?

Can’t see this being an accurate reflection of what everyday Aussies are streaming either. As @Squee said:

Really? You can’t see how well-known Christmas songs being played at Christmas isn’t an accurate reflection?

I don’t disagree with @Squee at all but what I am saying is it’s hard to police and adjust the chart to discount this.

2 Likes