Movies on TV

There’s a Hayden Orpheum that looks exactly the same in Cremorne, Victoria?

2 Likes

…and in true Channel Nine style, it’s not that far from either their old or new Sydney HQ! :slight_smile:

…and for television history buffs it’s across the road from where the outdoor location shots for Ten’s famed drama dud Arcade were done.

5 Likes

‘The Wonderful World of Disney’ 9Go! Promo:

2 Likes

Returning to Nine (last aired in 1990s).

Been on Seven for more than a decade (though only aired every few years, last in late 2017 after the AFL GF).

Was also on 10 in the 2000s (they also premiered the first two in the 1980s).

Thankyou to @Zampakid for some of this info too

FTA premiere, from Nine’s soon to be elapsing deal with MGM (I haven’t heard anything about if they will or have re-negotiated another deal).

2 Likes

If Nine’s deal with MGM is about to lapse, is there any chance Seven or Ten will get the rights to 007 movies once again? That is the only lucrative part of the MGM deal.

2 Likes

All I know for sure (100%) is that a stack of Nine’s MGM movie rights expire in June this year.

But whether it’s the whole output or incrementally, I’m not sure. And as mentioned unsure of any re-negotiations/extentions (which for some reason networks are notoriously secretive about and kept from public unless media get a hold of info).

And I guess yes (and again I’m sure nobody would know until we see it scheduled one day) Seven and/or 10 might go after MGM if they can? James Bond being the obvious lucrative pull.

2 Likes

Do you know when the James Bond movies will disappear from Stan?

1 Like
  1. the majority of the public and media don’t care about movies switching networks etc and renewing a movie deal for a FTA network in 2019 isn’t exactly something the media is going to investigate or Nine’s spin department is going to both release.

2. I imagine it’s probably not in the interest of either party to release too many details.

5 Likes

No, not movies switching networks, but about networks signing with studios.

It is always public or certainly media interest when any company spends millions of $$$ investing in something, is it not? Many members of the community love the business sections of the newspaper.

There were plenty of articles on this very thing back in 2013-2015 from such mastheads as The Australian and AFR such as on Seven restructuring Disney and picking up Warner Bros including TBBT, Nine forgoing Warner Bros, etc. Obviously with the focus on the fiscal and business aspect.

2 Likes

most of

There are still some Warner Bros movies and programs on Nine, though.

1 Like

I knew what you meant. Apologies if I phrased it wrong.
I’d be surprised if movies were worth millions anymore to TV networks, given most networks use them as fillers or multichannel rejects. Probably why we’ve seen so many distributors switch networks recently. I doubt there’s been bidding wars.

The supply of TV content to TV networks is understandable, plus it comes at a time when linear TV is under threat. Nine losing/renewing its MGM licence probably doesn’t fall into that category.

3 Likes

Oh all good :slight_smile: And a well worded reply.

(Wanted to give you a ‘thumbs up’ emoji but it isn’t working on mobile atm for some reason).

Edit
Used a different device and it now works, but now can’t undo the normal ‘like’. Never mind, you get a double like!

1 Like

Walt Disney-Marvel’s “Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2” (2017) FTA premiere on Nine

Anyone know if this movie has aired on Seven before?

I’m guessing it has, I know they struck a deal with Paramount about a decade ago for a string of movies (around the time they got “Indiana Jones”) but then gradually lost it to Nine, both still sharing with 10 who’ve had it for decades.

This movie has been on Nine in recent years, formerly on 10 in at least the 2000s.

Yes most recently 27/12/14

1 Like

Something I noticed, 10 Peach have scheduled the movies “Divergent” and “Insurgent” next week which are licenced here by 20th Century Fox TV.

They recently aired on 7flix last year.

So either that’s an error? Or Seven only purchased one run and 10 have become friendly again with Fox (who terminated their entire output in 2017)?

Ten has cherry picked some Fox content in the past twelve months. Money is money.

Divergent and Insurgent are distributed by Entertainment One in Australia. Not sure why 20th Century Fox has its hands on them.

Yeah, Entertainment One appears to have had the cinema distribution rights to Divergent in Australia, with 20th Century Fox distributing it on DVD and Blu-ray.

1 Like