Movies on TV

FYI

Titanic finished at 12:50am in Sydney & Melbourne, including two delays totalling 7min overtime.

After starting at 8:38pm :sleeping:

1 Like

What were the delays?

1 Like

Behold…why watching movies on commercial TV is utterly pointless.

4 Likes

Prolonged Sydney-Hobart Seven News Updates during ad breaks.

2 Likes

Saw a promo for “Epic movies in 2018” for 7mate, with the female V/O and a new male V/O.

Gee, Seven really pushing movies hard, with two separate promos for movies for 7flix and 7mate respectively.

They do air the most movies of the networks and have the biggest rating movies, so I suppose justified + a movie channel.

1 Like

Another week with a movie every night :raised_hands:

What about the tennis? Was that just main channel for the first week?

But still, really boring, summer non-ratings programming.

I think that should read 2003

Why air a classic at that time of night!?

Network premiere, another Warner Bros pick-up from Nine.

An update on this:

I was correct, that the networks discovered the coincidental clash.

But Nine have decided to drop it (despite having it scheduled a day earlier - perhaps they thought they had rights, but actually didn’t).

“48 Hrs” (1982) remains on ONE Thursday night.

“Tango & Cash” (1990) [Warner Bros] now scheduled for 9Go! Wednesday night.

2 Likes

Weird. The Tasmanian tv guide in TV Week never had this on 9Go. They had Tango and Cash. And it was 2 weeks early!

1 Like

Nine’s advanced program guide (two weeks early) definitely originally had 48 Hrs for 9Go!

I saw what I saw on Dec 18. That’s what aired. Who knows? Maybe they changed it then changed it back, Networks do that all the time.

1 Like

It was freak programming, I supoose it can happen.

I don’t believe it Nine!

First movie I’ve seen without your bloody annoying ad break ‘bumpers’ :grinning: Thanks.

Watching a MovieMan fav on 9Gem, 1995’s “The Quick and the Dead”. A cult flick, disapppinted at the box office but received reasonable reviews.

IMO excellent direction and script execution from Sam Raimi, as well as the cinematography. Russell Crowe’s first US feature in a terrific performance, also fantastic work from Gene Hackman.

Nine has been doing that with movies forever … much better than Seven’s habit of not showing the credits.

2 Likes

And it’s terrible. Seven realised it years ago, Ten only do it with main channel (prime-time only) now.

Bad enough we have ads during movies, but to be shown a lame graphic with the movie title / poster shot and an overture before each one :expressionless:

Particularly a pain when I edit movies and put them onto a DVD-R if I want to keep them, so difficult, takes an eternity.

Being such a movie fan I thought you would support the movie industry by buying the titles instead of recording them off TV. No editing!

8 Likes

How does it take you any longer editing out the ads and the ‘bumpers’ from a movie vs just the ads?

Nine fade-in the bumpers very slowly (rather than just cut to black / ad), so have to get the exact frame, otherwise it’s noticeable.

Hang on, the Nine presentation fanboys @SydneyCityTV and @Zampakid should be telling you this, not me.

A bit harsh there?

I rarely do it.

I indeed tend to do it when it’s a title I haven’t seen in a long time, because I haven’t been able to find it to buy or it’s not in stock.

I have ~300 DVD films, I think I’ve supported the industry (via home entertainment) quite well over the past 20 years.

I personally only really care about the airing of movies on Channel Nine (or any TV network) if they’re old VHS recordings and have the ad breaks intact!

How many of the movies that air on TV are available on DVD or Blu-Ray at the likes of JB Hi-Fi or Sanity? Surely most of the mainstream titles?

1 Like

Good to see. Because just as the ad goes “You wouldn’t steal a car…”

7 Likes

Let’s not confuse licenced broadcast television with online download piracy.

“Conspiracy Theory” (1997) network premiere on Ch 7, Perth. Formerly Nine (another Warner Bros pick-up):

2 Likes