Movies on TV

I’ve inadvertently watched it 100s of times because when I worked in electronics retail years ago, it was one of the movies I had on loop on the media player we used because it looked so pretty regardless of whether you used a composite / component / HDMI output :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s got an M rating. What about younger children :confused:

Home Alone 7mate promo
(returns to Seven, but specially on 7mate in Melbourne only tomorrow night due to State Election coverage)

An old Nine favourite The Last Boy Scout network premiere on 7mate (I swear it aired on 9Go! just a month ago)

1 Like

Sean Connery in his final performance

NB/ I’ve actually never seen this, is it any good? Connery’s 90s films progressively got weaker, though soft spots for The Rock and Entrapment

Here’s Sevens version:

3 Likes

First time the movie airs on Nine. It is made by Disney and previously only aired on Seven.
BTW, Tim Allen was on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon this week and said the original plot of The Santa Clause was much darker.
https://celebrity.nine.com.au/2018/11/23/14/39/tim-allen-original-santa-clause-plot

It last aired on 7flix over a year ago (last night a year ago in fact - 25th Nov 2017).

All but confirms Seven have progressively lost rights to Walt Disney Pictures re-runs, that they once had exclusivity to for decades, only a few have aired this year anyway (most others have been FTA premieres including “The Finest Hours” on Saturday just gone).

Will be interesting to see if Nine have struck a deal or if this is a one off, maybe for Christmas, hasn’t been any others. We know Ten have had a deal for Disney re-runs (that aren’t Walt Disney Pictures titles) for over a year now.

Quick question, was anyone watching the pre credit sequence of tonight’s James Bond film? Hopefully the rusted on Nine fanboys (I’m looking at you SCTV and Zampa) can aid me there.

I could be mistaken and have tuned in after it, but caught the fight between Bond and the traitor in the atrium just then and cut to an ad break at around 8:55pm and then straight to M’s London apartment after the ad returned.

Did Nine skip the iconic opening theme? I think it was the one with Alicia Keys job thus entry “Another way to die” or whatever? Pretty groovy song for an otherwise weak as piss film.

For those interested, have a listen to the latest TV Blackbox podcast (after the 30min to go mark) and Rob McKnight talks about the “premiere” debacle when it comes to movies/shows.

Rob said when he worked at Seven promotions many years ago, they all cracked up laughing when they apparantly signed a new content supply deal and listed a 1980 movie as premiere and then decided on the phrase first time on 7, which as we know and Steve Molk pointed out, they still use today (as recently as a few days ago for “Avatar” cap shown above).

Remember the cap @TelevisionAU got when they called “Willy Wonka” a premiere a year or two ago? Though Seven have changed the EPG since then, as before any movie that hadn’t aired on Seven before got listed as “premeire”.

Rob also mentioned it was something to do with the way programming and promotions passed the details onto one another.

Never forget

3 Likes

I’ve mentioned this before but it’s completely meaningless to the average viewer when a network labels it ‘first time on 7/9/10’. Viewers don’t care. It’s network posturing at its worst.

Viewers might care if it’s a premiere, or a critics’ favourite or a box office success but they don’t care if this is the first occasion they can watch the movie with the 7 watermark rather than the 9 one.

4 Likes

Edit

Seven has “Paper Towns” (2015) as a FTA premiere.

It actually premiered last year in August on Ten, even though their 20C Fox deal was terminated, obviously were still able to run it. Whoops.

Nine and Ten do not do it. Only Seven for some reason.

Actually, Ten did say “first time on Eleven” for the movie “I Am Number Four” earlier this year, but only time I’ve seen.

Nine and Ten’s guides instead just don’t say “Repeat” and should be easy to figure out that it’s aired on another network before if it’s say a decade or more old.

1 Like

Speed - returns to Seven

1 Like

Glad to see them use the movies actual name in the promo.

3 Likes

Great use of cross-promotion there. :wink:

4 Likes

Yes and Duncan Fellows (the long time 7mate V/O) delivered it in his usual tongue in cheek, comedic way :wink:

Disney’s Pete’s Dragon FTA premiere

1 Like

The David Niven version would’ve been a bolder choice imo

3 Likes

Agreed. Classic.

‘The Santa Clause Movies’ Promo

2 Likes