Movies on TV

Yeah first time on 10.

And unlike the past 2 years at least, both Chocolate Factory movies are not on the main channel. I remember in 2020 both movies were on at the same time competing against each other on Nine and Seven.

2 Likes

It was also added to Stan a few months ago.

And unlike last year and years preceeding, both will be on different networks/channels.

1 Like

Seven Sunday 24 April (7Mate in Melbourne and Adelaide)

I reckon this, Pretty Woman and Father of the Bride must’ve notched up some 200 combined airings on Seven over the past 25 years. Nothing fresh here.

3 Likes

At least 100 for Sister Act alone I reckon - Used to be on at least 3-4 times a year even back in the pre-digital days!

1 Like

Sister Act was also seen on 10 and its multis.

1 Like

It appears that the version of “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” 9Go! aired last night was the 2002 widescreen DVD version, compared to the HDTV/Blu-Ray version Seven has aired in the past few years (and possibly Nine, since their final promos used clips from that version).

I think this might have something to do with a particular video essay uploaded prior to the release of the 4K version (which is yet to see a TV broadcast, but is framed correctly):

1 Like

Three movies on three different channels on 10 tonight. My goodness, new programmers in the building, pop the champagne corks! :wink: But let’s see if it’s a new strategy or just the public holdiay / non-ratings week thing.

1 Like

I haven’t checked, but are any of them About a Boy or Mean Girls :rofl:

2 Likes

Turns out that is a furphy.

1 Like

Just checked a live site. Not sure what’s going on, LOL:

2 Likes

10 picked films that could reasonably go in that slot, even with commercials. Kinda sneaky if you think about it.

2 Likes

As it turns out, I don’t think it was about offering better alternatives or getting more network viewers, but to try to send viewers to the main channel for MC. However for whatever reason at the very last minute have got nervous and put MC across multiple channels instead. And don’t think it worked, at all.

It appears that no HD master exists for the non-US versions of Shark Tale (2004) with different newsreaders as Katie Current, so is 9Go! still using a DVD master of the Australian (Tracy Grimshaw) version or not?

1 Like

Noticed that Seven haven’t aired a Disney-Marvel title in a long time, last was in November last year (Avengers Age of Ultron) and before that in June (Thor). All other entries (including Iron Mans) not since 2020. Looks like those rights have finally lapsed. And seeing as Disney haven’t licenced any Walt Disney titles to Australian FTA TV since Disney Plus launched (and immediately stripped Nine and Stan), suggests they’ll only be available there, iTunes/Google and DVD/BluRay now.

May spell better news for variety to their movie line-ups, especially Saturday nights on the main channel and Sunday nights on 7mate.

Before Disney bought Marvel, the earlier entries had also aired on 10 (when they were handled by Paramount).

1 Like

Nine - late Saturday night 7 May 12:10 am, noted as a first broadcast by Nine.

Seven - Monday 9 May 9:45 PM

1 Like

Saw this at the cinemas, the last movie I saw right before the pandemic (Jan 2020 from memory - also a week or two before that brilliant Aus Open). It wouldn’t be until about this time in 2021 (“Those Who Wish Me Dead”) I’d be able to venture back. And last movie I went to, ashamedly now considering the months that have passed by, was “No Time To Die”.