Movies on TV

Miramax is currently licenced in Australia by Roadshow, which Nine have a long-term agreement with. That contarct would have to end or be re-negotiated first?

Prior to the mid-2000s, Disney handled Miramax and its then subsidiaries. You may recall many of their movies on Seven before Nine.

2 Likes

Seen during the opening credits of “The Water Diviner” (2014) on 7mate tonight:

Seven West Media and its major stakeholder Seven Group Holdings were a co-financier of the Australian-Hollywood movie. It was distributed by Warner Bros (co-produced by their Ratpac-Dune) in the US and distributed by Entertainment One elsewhere including Australia (co-produced by their Hopscotch label) and home entertainment/digital/TV distributed by Universal (who have an agreement with E1).

An interesting case obviously, in that Seven as backers of the movie naturally gained rights and will have probably forever, I believe it’s also co-copyright to Seven too (the movie opened with “Ratpac-Dune and Seven Network Australia presents”). Rather than NBC-U licencing it, which they do for this territory, meaning Nine who now have a deal with NBC-U will be unlikely to get rights or even want them (seeing the Seven affiliation). In fact Seven’s program code for this movie in their Advanced Guide (available on TVT) lists the distributor as their own ‘miscellaneous’ code, instead of “NBC-” which is often seen on them, backing all this up.

1 Like

“Military Mondays” movie marathon Monday nights on 7mate from tonight, saw a long promo a few days ago.

From Here To Eternity (Oscar winning 50s classic) in its original 4:3 aspect on 9Gem. A rare sight on commercial prime time TV indeed and probably for that very reason (aspect ratio). This has usually been on during day time / late afternoon, but at the moment Nine are running a promotion.

1 Like

It is nice to have these classics running on GEM lately. Brings us back to a time until probably the ‘90s when they would actually air in prime time.

2 Likes

Nine will air The Bourne Identity for the first time Thursday week, from their NBC-U output. Previously aired on both 10 and then Seven (a lot!)

FTA premiere. Licenced to AU/NZ TV territory by Paramount. It was a box office disappointment and critical failure, plagued by a distribution change at the last minute in the US (Disney to Paramount) related to its studio DreamWorks’ distribution arrangement changing, no advance screening to critics nor proper marketing and the lead star going MIA and confusion around the complex sci-fi narrative.

2 Likes

Like how The Castle is permanantly on Channel 9 due to Nine programming referenced during the movie.

That means Nine is the first to air the entire Bourne movie series, having shown Jason Bourne last year.

I thought it had also been on Ten?

Saw a well made “Double Bat-Blockbusters Sundays on 7mate” promo airing (Batman and associated DC comics movie marathon).

The promos for Seven’s multi-channels seem to have more effort and look better atm LOL.

Contagion on 7 tonight. Might actually do well.

1 Like

Just saw the Contagion promo during Seven News. It described the movie as the one which predicted it all.

1 Like

:joy:

1 Like

The 10 channels have not put any movies on since February 23rd.
Last movie that was on any of the ten channels was “The Legend of Zorro” from 2005 on 10 peach.
Nothing ever since.

5 Likes

Totally bizarre

2 Likes

Anyone remember ten used to LOVE putting on air force one?

1 Like

No, I don’t remember that. I recall they’ve played it though. But wasn’t that actually an old Seven ‘go to’, from their old Disney days?

1 Like

Two whole months without a movie? Even on 10Peach or Bold at a graveyard timeslot of 2am?

I also find that quite bizarre.

2 Likes

What was that other movie ten loved to play alot?

1 Like

Devil Wears Prada, Con Air…