Mock Studio Designs

In light of the Newshub news tonight, Heres a new set I threw together that could work for AM and News (forgive the random colours and photo fillers) would require some building work to make it work but it would combine the existing AM Studio and the current News studio into one large studio space, Feedback welcome.

14 Likes

Is the soft set where the current AM Show set is now?

Would be great if they could open it up and make it one big studio with different presenting areas.

Nice idea.

2 Likes

Yes it is.

Not sure if it is structurally possible but would be so cool imo.

4 Likes

@theGradyConnell @killy06 In my own opinion, transforming separate Newshub and AM studios into one, through renovation, would cost Discovery New Zealand hundreds of thousands of dollars.

1 Like

Probably, but to create one multi-purpose set for all news based programmes wouldn’t be cheap anyway so it’s all relative - if it’s even possible at all.

3 Likes

Discovery is only leasing Flower Street these days as MediaWorks sold it so I am assuming they would be looking for new premises?

3 Likes

It would be nice if they could find a building near the Auckland waterfront and have the studio on the bottom floor like NBC Today

4 Likes

Definitely would be nice. But winter is dark in the mornings so you’d want a set that works well outside of that.

2 Likes

If Prime New Zealand had a morning show.

The on-air display

2 Likes

Love the layout. Looking forward to seeing it develop further.

3 Likes

Some minor tweaks to the new NBN studio in Honeysuckle. I’ve kept the structure of the set the same and simply moved the desk into a better position.

Essentially, the desk is rotated slightly so that both anchors sit evenly on the desk. The current sports screen would be used by Natasha, essentially moving each anchor one screen over.

Sport would then be done from the other side of the desk from Paul’s original screen, and the weather remains as is.

I’d also add desk risers that extend the width of the studio, with either accent lighting or painted white edges.

All combined I think it improves the space a lot with barely any additional cost.

(I didn’t have the time to source NBN specific graphics, so generic 9 will have to do)

19 Likes

AMAZING! The riser looks amazing, but what really makes the set pop is the wide angles that I assume aren’t possible if the studio space is small.

Although, the biggest improvement you made are ones that NBN can’t/won’t make since it would mean rebuilding the whole set: you made the blue strip lights thicker, and the set walls into one curved piece with the normal screens inserted into the curve instead of flat wall panels.

4 Likes

I actually only did the curved wall to build it faster, if I’m honest. Their current set would actually be totally fine in my book if the bulletin was a single header. I really wouldn’t be surprised if whoever designed the space only found out it was a double header after designing it - surely no set designer would knowingly put one half of an anchoring due off to the side :joy:

2 Likes

Guess I’ll now have to return to this and update it seeing Nine won the rights.

2 Likes

What I currently have for my Nine Olympic (Brisbane) Studio. I had this post as a draft for a few days so I’ve made a bit of changes since but it’s still currently mostly the same.

8 Likes

Long time no see, mates.

In my absence I threw Malichka into the bin and retired RTVM as I quickly found it unrealistic.

3 Likes

Hello again, hope you have been well since we last saw you.

I have some previous mock ideas that I abandoned as it felt they didn’t translate as well in practice, but it happens. Hopefully eventually you envision new ideas, but don’t be afraid to be adventurous with the concepts, take @PaddyTePou’s well constructed and detailed PTV Network New Zealand! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I also made these little mockups for TV networks in a hypothetical timeline where the Dutch colonial effort in Brazil succeeded. (Yep, the Dutch tried to rule Brazil at one point)

PPR (Polypotamian Broadcasting Network) news cast

2 Likes

Clarification: Mauritsstad is this world’s version of a real Brazilian city called Recife.

2 Likes

Just something I have been working on for the past few days.

Today graphics are just placeholders.

14 Likes