Mock Schedules

The Pre match starts at 7PM (AEST) And Adelaide and Perth viewers miss first 30 mins. Which would be quite unfair for rugby fans as they want the lineup of each teams.

Victoria cares of Rugby League. They have one team, Melbourne Storm who were the greatest team in this decade.

Half the fans at AAMI park week in week out are corporate types who grew up in NSW and english expats. When you see that the small AFL clubs (Dogs, North, Saints + Carlton) can regularly draw more than Storm, I wouldn’t say VIC cares.

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t mind the idea of moving The Project as long as its kept. They could always air at 8pm after the reality programs? Then at 9pm air things like Drama/HYBPA etc.

For example:
5:00 News
6:00 News
6:30 Reality tentpole
8:00 The Project
9:00 Drama/Light entertainment

I’m just not sure about the game show at 5:30. Feels too much going in the way of 7 and 9 and they have a successful news slot. Ideally, the best lead in for news is news.

Rugby league is growing in Victoria, south Australia, Tasmania and WA so some supporters would care of the sport.
Anyways: nine in July 2019 like this
SUNDAY
7pm - ninja warrior
8:30pm - 60 mins
9:30pm - crime show

MONDAY
7:30pm Ninja warrior
9pm doctor doctor
10pm - footy classified (Vic/Tas/SA/WA)/ 100% footy (in nrl states)
11pm Footy talk shows (afl states only)

TUESDAY
7:30pm Ninja warrior
9pm 20 to ONE (with Erin Molan and Nick Cody)

WEDNESDAY
7:30pm Ninja Warrior
9pm Seachange

THURSDAY
7:30pm Rugby League (for north states)
For southern states
7:30pm RBT
8:30pm AFL Footy Show
10pm adult shows

FRIDAY
7:30pm Rugby League (northern states only)
Southern states
7:30pm Vet On the hill
8pm Bondi Vet
8:30pm Movie

SATURDAY
7pm Movie time

NB. On 10 July Origin Game 3 will be played in Sydney. This will mean the ninja Warrior ep 4 be shunted to Thursday july 11.
Ninja Warrior Will have new eps on Wednesday, bringing 4 nights per week. Given that’s Britain’s got talent has gone from 9 to 7 this year, nine will allow ninja to air at 7:30pm Wednesday nights.
Ninja warrior to start on 7 July 2019 and conclude on 24 July 2019.
With Cricket World Cup final on 14 July, it will be on 9Gem in all markets.
(I do not want to see Ninja warrior final against Masterchef final as 10 will trump Nine easily.)

If Nine got the AFL rights in 2023 (and assuming they retain the NRL rights), this is what I think the weekend schedules should look like:

Thursday

NSW/QLD
Channel Nine
6:00pm Nine News
7:00pm ACA
7:30pm Thursday Night Football (NRL)
9:45pm Thursday Night Golden Point
10:45pm Late Movie

9GEM
7:00pm Thursday Night Football (AFL) - selected rounds
10:00pm AFL Post Match Show

VIC
Channel Nine
7:00pm Thursday Night Football (AFL) - selected rounds
10:00pm AFL Post Match Show

9GEM
7:00pm A Current Affair OR an American sitcom
7:30pm Thursday Night Football (NRL)
9:45pm Thursday Night Golden Point

SA
Channel Nine
6:00pm Nine News (1/2 hour only)
6:30pm Thursday Night Football (AFL) - selected rounds
9:30pm AFL Post Match Show
10:15pm Late Movie

9GEM
7:00pm Thursday Night Football (NRL)
9:15pm Thursday Night Golden Point
10:15pm Late Movie

WA
Channel Nine
5:00pm Thursday Night Football (AFL) - selected rounds
Nine News during half-time
8:00pm AFL Post Match Show
8:45pm Movie

9GEM
5:30pm Thursday Night Football (NRL)
7:45pm Thursday Night Golden Point
8:45pm Movie

Friday

NSW/QLD
Channel Nine
7:30pm Friday Night Football (NRL)
9:45pm Friday Night Knock-Off

9GEM
7:00pm AFL Pre-Match Show
7:30pm Friday Night Football (AFL)
10:30pm AFL Post-Match Show

VIC
Channel Nine
7:00pm AFL Pre-Match Show (ACA on 9Gem)
7:30pm Friday Night Football (AFL)
10:30pm AFL Post-Match Show

9Gem
7:30pm Friday Night Football (NRL)
9:45pm Friday Night Knock-Off

SA
Channel Nine
6:00pm Nine News (1/2 hour only)
6:30pm AFL Pre-Match Show (ACA on 9Gem)
7:00pm Friday Night Football (AFL)
10:00pm AFL Post-Match Show

9Gem
6:30pm ACA
7:00pm Friday Night Football (NRL)
9:15pm Friday Night Knock-Off

WA
Channel Nine
5:00pm AFL Pre-Match Show
5:30pm Friday Night Football (AFL)
Nine News during half-time
8:30pm AFL Post-Match Show

9Gem
5:00pm ACA
5:30pm Friday Night Football (NRL)
7:45pm Friday Night Knock-Off

Saturday

NSW/QLD
Channel Nine
7:00pm Normal programming

9GEM
6:30pm AFL Pre-Match Show
7:00pm Saturday Night Football (AFL)

VIC
Channel Nine
6:30pm AFL Pre-Match Show
7:00pm Saturday Night Football (AFL)

SA
Channel Nine
6:00pm Nine News (AFL Pre-Match Show on 9Gem)
6:30pm Saturday Night Football (AFL)
9:30pm AFL Post-Match Show

WA
Channel Nine
7:00pm Normal programming

9Gem
4:30pm AFL Pre-Match Show
5:00pm Saturday Night Football (AFL)
8:00pm AFL Post-Match Show

Sunday

All markets
Channel Nine
10:00am Sports Sunday
11:00am The Sunday Footy Show (NRL)
12:00pm The Sunday Footy Show (AFL)
1:00pm Sunday Football (AFL)
NRL Pre-Match Show during half-time of AFL match
4:00pm Sunday Football (NRL)

• in VIC/SA/WA the two footy shows are flipped; i.e. the AFL version is shown first then the NRL.
  • Please note the Saturday and Sunday schedules may vary depending on which teams are playing in the AFL.
  • The Sunday AFL match is to feature one of the non-Victorian clubs so as to not clash with another of their fellow teams in the 3:20pm match (which Foxtel would have the rights to). If the Sunday twilight match (AFL) features another non-Victorian club, it will be shown on 9Gem regardless of which teams are involved.
  • If a non-Victorian team plays in the 3:20pm match, and a team not from that same state plays in the other two Sunday matches, it will also be shown on Channel Nine and the 1:00pm match will not be shown on FTA in that market. In this case, the NRL shifts to 9Gem.
  • If two teams from the same state play in two different matches on Sunday, and they don’t overlap, the second match will be shown on 9Gem.
  • As is convention, local teams must be shown live (or near-live, or on three-hour delay) into their respective states.
  • Too much else to explain but you’ll get it.
4 Likes

Afl and nrl on channel nine? Na won’t work.
Why not like this:
7/9 get afl rights from 2023 to 2028. This will mean nine will end nrl telecast and a new telecaster 10 will get rights for first time since 1990.

Afl (AEST)
Thursday: 7pm on 7/fox (7:20pm start)
Friday: 7pm on 7/fox (7:45pm start)
Saturday: 2:30pm on 9/fox (3:15pm start)
Saturday: 4pm on Fox (4:20pm start)
Saturday: 6:30pm on Nine/Fox (7:15pm start)
Saturday: 7PM on Fox (7:20pm start)
Sunday: 1pm on Fox
Sunday: 2:30pm on 7/Fox (3:20pm start)
Sunday: 4:30pm on Fox (4:45pm start)

Thursday night football to be applied to all 22 rounds of home and away season. (Reduce to 22 round season- no byes)
Finals:
1st week: Thursday and Friday Nights on 7/Fox, Nine/Fox takes Saturday arvo and evening.
2nd and 3rd week: Seven/Fox does Friday, nine/fox gets Saturday
grand final: seven gets exclusive rights to grand final. The following year Nine gets afl gf. same vice versa.

2 Likes

Good proposal, but do note that Nine did juggle the AFL and NRL once when they had the rights to both sports between 2002-06.

Because this was in the era before multichannels, on Friday nights Nine would televise the primary sport into their states followed by the other (i.e. in NSW/QLD the NRL would be shown first, followed by a short news break and then the AFL; in VIC/SA/WA it was the other way around).

On Sundays the 1:00pm AFL match would be shown nationally, and then at 4:00pm in NSW/QLD the league would be shown, in VIC/SA/WA a second match would be shown (the 2:10pm match with pre-match and half-time omitted IIRC, and only first/second quarter highlights). This was dependent on which teams were playing on Sundays so the schedule was scattered.

1 Like

Nine having the rights to air both AFL & NRL matches seemed to work OK in the 2000s (especially compared to Seven who after loosing the AFL rights in 2001, struggled for a few years).

But of course, it again has to be said that the Kerry Packer-era Nine Network and the modern NEC-era Nine Network have very different budgets, ideas and philosophies!

not having the AFL between 2002-06 seriously hurt Seven in the long-term. Only the 2004 Athens Olympics and its loyal Perth audience saved them from massive ratings embarrassment that year (it was third in Melbourne).

It must be said, the rebuilding started in 2005 with Lleyton Hewitt reaching the Australian Open final and the network purchasing the rights to two massive US shows, Desperate Housewives and Lost. 2007 saw the AFL return to Seven, and the network enjoyed its most dominant year in ages (won the ratings year 38-2).

4 Likes

Of course it would work.

1 Like

And channel seven saw the prime time audience increase significantly in 2006 with new us shows how I met your mother, my name is earl, police files unlocked, the force. Seven’s dominance of Sunrise over today was The highlight of 2006. Seven won number of weeks while Nine won prime time share by a fraction. Who won in 2006?

2 Likes

I agree. The problem would be whether Nine (or any FTA network) would be able to afford rights to both the AFL and NRL in this day & age? Personally I suspect they wouldn’t.

3 Likes

Yeah they couldn’t afford both. However, they could pair themselves with 10 to split the rights.

1 Like

If ever Ten got the Australian Open rights, which won’t happen until 2025 at the absolute earliest:

Days 1-11
Channel Ten
8:00am Studio 10 live from the Australian Open (usually at 8:30am but brought forward to accommodate tennis preview show)
10:00am Australian Open preview show
11:00am Australian Open tennis
5:00pm 10 News First (tennis rolls over on 10 Peach)
6:00pm The Project live from the Australian Open - includes tennis preview (tennis rolls over on 10 Peach)
7:00pm-12:30am Australian Open tennis

10 Bold - First week only
10:00am Australian Open preview show
11:00am Australian Open tennis (uninterrupted; coverage ends at 10:00pm or thereabouts)

Day 12
8:30am Studio 10 (back to normal timeslot, and back in Sydney)
12:00pm Normal programming
3:00pm Australian Open tennis
5:00pm 10 News First (tennis rolls over on 10 Bold)
6:00pm The Project live from the Australian Open
7:00pm Australian Open tennis preview show
7:30pm-10:30pm Australian Open tennis - men’s second semi-final

Day 13
5:00pm 10 News First (national bulletin from Sydney)
6:00pm Best of the Australian Open (a highlights show)
7:30pm Australian Open tennis - women’s final and mixed doubles final

Day 14
5:00pm 10 News First (national bulletin from Sydney)
6:00pm The Sunday Project live from the Australian Open
7:30pm Australian Open tennis - men’s final

Also a few notes:

• Stephen Quartermain will be 62 at the start of 2025; he would be a great anchor.
  • Ideal commentators/presenting team would include Jim Courier, Todd Woodbridge, Anthony Hudson (returning to Ten), Sam Smith, Jelena Dokic, Mark Philippoussis, Lleyton Hewitt, Rennae Stubbs, Mark Howard, Matt Burke, Brad McEwan (if he returns to Ten), Matthew White, Mel McLaughlin (if she returns to Ten) and a few more.

Thoughts?

1 Like

I think Nine just won 2006 thanks to the Commonwealth Games which were held in Melbourne that year.

1 Like

If seven would have had the commonwealth games in 2006, this would Have been a lopsidedly victory over Nine in yearly ratings. Seven could have pushed nine to 2nd in ratings.
If 10 would have had The games, seven would have won the ratings year. It could have even been a close one in Melbourne’s market.
In fact if either seven or ten could have got the games in 2006, this would have been the end of an era for still the one on nine.

1 Like

Oh please no, Ten.
I’d rather see Australian open go back to 7 network by the time The tennis rights expire on nine in 2024.
Channel Seven should follow the recipe for 2018 Australian Open scheduling. Having first week on 7/7mate. Perth viewers to have first 2 hours on 7Two before switching to 7. In second week, first hour on 7mate before switching to 7. At 6pm, Perth viewers will switch to 7mate with news on primary channel. At 7pm, Perth viewers will have alternate programs while tennis is on 7mate.

1 Like

With, IMO, the success of Bachelor in Paradise airing at 8:30. I have come up with an idea of finding room for Big Brother on 10.

October - End December

Sunday
6:00 10 News
6:30 The Project
7:30 Big Brother: Daily Show
8:30 Big Brother: Live Eviction

Monday
6:00 10 News
6:30 The Project
7:30 Big Brother: Daily/Nominations
8:30 Have You Been Paying Attention

Tuesday
7:30 Big Brother: Daily
8:30 48 Hours Australia

Wednesday
8:30 The Bachelor/ette/Ex on The Beach Australia

Thursday
8:30 The Bachelor/ette/Gogglebox

Friday
8:30 The Living Room

1 Like

Wow. good imagination @turdall.

Anyway, I would think of a better schedule in early 2020.
SUNDAY
6PM - Celebrity Name Game (best of the week)
6:30PM - The Sunday Project
7:30PM - I’m a Celebrity
9PM - Bull

MONDAY
6:30PM - The Project
9PM - NCIS

TUESDAY
9PM - Law & Order SVU

WEDNESDAY
9PM - NCIS: LA

THURSDAY
9PM - Show me the Movie! (have as an M-rated timeslot)
10PM - Drama show

FRIDAY
7:30PM - The Living Room (Summer)
8:30PM - The Graham Norton Show
9:30PM - TBA

SATURDAY
6PM - COoking Lifestyle Show
6:30PM - The Project (best of the week)
7:30PM - Bondi Rescue (rpt)
8:30PM - Ambulance UK

There is a lot of US shows there that simply don’t rate.

1 Like