Mock Schedules

I think it’s about time we have a dedicated ‘Mock programs’ thread.

Sorry for the double post, but just want to share some of my ideas about Seven lately.

Ever since the launch of Ninja, Seven has been struggling with ratungs in general. TBH, they really didn’t have to be stuck in that kind of position since last year, if they put in some decent investment and quality into their programming. Their programs could’ve had the potential to hold up against The Block/Survivor/Bachelor/Bachelorette.

Personally, if I was Seven, I would try and inject some variety into the primetime slot after House Rules finishes. Some of their shows last year worked (LBS/The Wall/Good Doctor/Instant Hotel, whilst others had the potential (Hell’s Kitchen/First Dates). I would probably base my programming around this (based on some of this year, last year and 2016’s programming):

2nd half

Sunday:
Little Big Shots/The Wall
Sunday Night

Monday
Just Desserts with Rachel Khoo/Hell’s Kitchen with Gordon Ramsay
Wanted/Million Dollar Cold Case

Tuesday
All Together Now/Dance Boss
800 Words/The Secret Daughter

Wednesday
First Dates/Take Me Out
American/British Drama/Mini Telemovies that Seven are obsessed about.

Thursday
Instant Hotel
Factuals/Front Bar etc.

Friday/Saturday
Better Homes and Gardens (Fridays)
Big Music Quiz with Larry Emdur (Saturdays)
First Run movies

I know this is a bit of a fantasy. But if Seven injected some decent investment and quality into all of these shows it would all have the potential to fire, at least it would look more organised than the mess they have right now.

In addition, once a week airing will make sure that the viewers won’t be driven to fatigue and can easily be stretched out all the way until the end of the year.

There is no chance dance boss is coming back.

1 Like

Not bad idea for the most part - another possibility for Saturday could be a condensed version of Hey Hey or if they could obtain the rights to a concept like GNW (and possibly air a normal edition midweek and then a Saturday Night version on Saturdays). Ultimately, Seven won’t want to invest too much in something and given most states have AFL on the main channel until end of September, doing anything grand would be out of the question - BUT then again if they invested in something that could be on 7Mate in AFL states, it could stop people who dont like AFL from tuning into Ten or Nine or even ABC or SBS

@Tom_TV7 your idea in its entirety is one to consider, even if Dance Boss is gone, I am sure they could find something for that slot. Perhaps a Undercover Boss style program or try and negotiate for dual rights for Selling Houses Australia (currently on Foxtel) and bring it on closer to when it screens on Foxtel

@turdall If Ten were to obtain the rights to Big Brother (again), Ten could do this.

Launch a Celebrity edition of Big Brother and call it Big Brother Presents: The Twelve Days of Christmas - episode 1 could screen on 12 December, screening for 12 consecutive nights - evictions EVERY night from 13 December. 13 Celebrities - $1,000 000 Prize Money. Final episode on 23 December - which could be screen following Big Brother Games Night (instead of Friday Night Games etc) - Celebrities Versus in-coming Housemates.

Prize Pool $1,000,000
Winner $175,000
Runner Up $150,000
Third Place $125,000
Fourth $100,000
Fifth $90,000
Sixth $80,000
Seventh $70,000
Eighth $60,000
Ninth $50,000
Tenth $40,000
Eleventh $30,000
Twelfth $20,000
Thirtieth (first Evictee) $10,000

Big Brother Games Night - Celebrities Versus in-coming Housemates. This could be a opportunity for Celebrities to increase their donations to charities (if the win) or the housemates to increase the prize pool for regular Big Brother by $250,000.

Prize Pool $250,000
Winner $75,000
Runner Up $50,000
Third Place $25,000
Fourth -Thirtieth (first Evictee) $10,000

December 25 could be the launch of the regular Big Brother series - possibly screen Big Brother content EVERY night - Regular episodes of Big Brother Games Night could screen on Saturday nights for the first 9 weeks - also Ten could screen Big Brother Confidential on Sundays after the regular show - Having evictees talking about life in the house.

Big Brother could then screen til Early March

1 Like

I don’t think Ten will get Big Brother so this speculation is irrelevant. But if a network wanted to make BB work over summer that seems good. I just don’t ever think you should launch a new show on Christmas day.

1 Like

Generally speaking I agree with you on not launching on Christmas Day, but it is still something that could work if Ten (or any other network) secured the rights for BB.

Ten needs to look at concepts where they could run it to 23 December, then either continue with that concept from 26 December or launch a new reality concept from 26 December (but no later than 28 December) to keep the ball rolling for the network.

Yep I have suggested the exact same thing in posts above. I just don’t think launching the show on Christmas or the week of christmas is the a good move. I don’t think any network could make it work. Especially ten. They would have to have it launched weeks before and hope it can continue some momentum throughout the summer.

That’s why I suggested a celebrity based 12 days of Christmas style concept for BB with a Games Night crossover to enable a launch of a new series on 25 December (or 26 December) - Masterchef is another concept they could use in the same manner - Start with a celebrity edition - 23 December screen a “Special Children’s Christmas Party” style special - incoming contestants versus Celebrity contestants - maybe its not the best idea - but I think you get what I mean - try and establish a REAL TIME reality series starting in mid-December

As I said I like the idea of not just stopping over Christmas but I believe starting at that time of the year is going to be difficult.

I know a lot of reality programs are possibly filmed one or 2 weeks in advance - perhaps Ten could screen part 1 pre-Christmas (and given that production may be halted for 1-2 weeks over Christmas), perhaps have the second part be screened the same week it is produced - limiting the lag time between production and screening. So if they decide to invest in reality TV over the December-January period - whatever path they take - they need to ensure it is filmed in a way to ensure continuity.

Again a show like Masterchef could work as we won’t know the winner until late January/early February - and perhaps they could stretch it out enough to ensure the following reality show ends Easter week or the week after and not use filler shows Easter week

Clark Griswold owns Christmas Day primetime.

2 Likes

On another note, I think Channel Nine should review their 5pm to 6pm arrangements next year. Both Seven and Nine are offering drawn out versions of game shows, so its more or less the same offerings on each network. They need to look at a fast paced game show for 5:30pm (either something like Sale Of The Century or relaunch Hot Seat as a fast paced half hour format - although the execs at Channel Nine may have trashed the Hot Seat brand by dragging it out to 1 hour). The Price is Right is another concept they could re-launch or come up with another different concept altogether. From a personal perspective, a 1 hour format just bores me when it comes to game shows and I think they need something different to a “quiz show” if I am saying where my preference lies, not sure on other peoples viewers on this - even Wheel of Fortune could be a better option, maybe for the first half hour - yes its been tried, but different ideas, the networks come back to at the same or similar times - with the right host, any game show could work.

When Scotty Cam hangs up his hammer on the block - he could launch a game show, wait for it Blockheads… nah, just kidding, but he could host some sort of game show

1 Like

Blockbusters anyone…

Just a thought - and i daresay many would say it would be too much work, But any one of the networks, Ten, Nine or Seven could screen classic episodes of some of their variety shows. As an example, Nine could screen something like Classic Classic Midday Show or Classic Mike Walsh Show on GEM - edit out anything that may be outdated - eg competitions or outdated health advice etc. If the relevant hosts were unavailable, someone like David Campbell could intro and outro it - perhaps with edits maybe screen it for 1 hour between maybe between 12pm and 1pm

Just picking up on discussion in the Studio 10 thread.

What about something like this:

5:30 - 8:30 Good Morning Australia with Sarah, Narelda and Joe Hildebrand
8:30 - 11:00 Mornings with Kerri Anne
11:00 Ten Morning News

Also in relation to Christmas period 2 week programming. What about a program like ‘Random Act of Kindness - 12 days of Christmas’. Network celebrities make a dream of 2 everyday Australian individuals / families come true every night. Could run from 23rd December through 4th January, with 2019 programming commencing Sunday 6th January.

In relation to evenings, I feel Network Ten will be moving to position themselves differently to the alternatives when it comes to news.

5:00 Ten News First at Five - Local Editions
6:00 The Project - more current affairs and topical.
7:00 Ten Evening News - Hyper Local Editions (Lexington alluded to a possible 7pm bulletin some time ago).

I would add Ten Late News at 10:30 personally with a late show style program on at 11:00.

1 Like

5:00 10 News First - it’s more like Fox and Friends, not a boring news show
8:30 10 News First - a little looser, borrowing some of the best elements of Studio 10
12:00 Usual programming
5:00 10 News First
6:00 10 News First
6:30 Project
9:30 10 News First
10:30 Colbert
11:30 James Corden

ahaha, you expect a quintupling of the staff at TEN?

How do you expect that to be sustainable?

Well late news cam be staffed by 5pm news. 6pm news is a re-hash of 5pm, for all intents and purposes. Morning news, yes, requires staff. But, as you can see, all the current Studio 10 production team would be absorbed into (my) proposed 7 hour morning block.

No way you can use the same crew for seven hours of live broadcast.

You see how they cope with three and a half hours.

Also, no… late news can’t be done by the 5pm team.

1 Like