Mock Schedules

I didn’t say all the Studio 10 production staff would do ALL seven hours. I said they would be absorbed into the bigger block - 2 different things. And, yeah, some 5pm staff can do 9:30 news. Again, I’m not denying new staff needed but not massive numbers.

Alright Lex, what would you do then?

You don’t get how television news is produced. The 5pm crew, starting at 8am… cannot work for the 9.30pm as well. Not unless you want 4.5 hour old news.

Yes, you are talking about 150-200 new staff around the network.

Uh, yes I do. You don’t seem to get how stations the world over do early and late news. Show me where I said all 5pm staff would stay late.

What would I do?

05.30 - News. 4x 15 minute bulletins.
06.30 - Local News. 2 hours, like all those US local morning shows.
08.30 - Studio 10 (as is now)
11.00 - News
12.00 - General programming
17.00 - Local News
17.30 - Game show
18.00 - The Project
19.00 - Local News
19.30 - Tentpole Reality
20.30 - First Run Aussie Progam
21.30 - US show
22.30 - Late Shows

6 Likes

you just said that 5pm would file for 9.30.

And I have more of an idea than you think

Oh the irony. Your suggestion needs more staff than mine. Lol.

1 Like

Americans have millions of people in lots of states, so Local Morning news for most cities is sustainable for the US. Not sure if the current television market would be able to sustain that. here in Australia.

Ten definetly won’t be able to but I do like the idea. But I don’t see why Australia has to copy the US News, why can’t TEN be entirely different? I’m not sure what I would do I’m still mocking up mine. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Do you understand the different between some and all?

That’s what i thought too :stuck_out_tongue:

the difference being I never suggested how it’s staffed.

Nor do I expect staff to work regular 12 hour plus days.

Interestingly Global in Canada do local breakfast news in many small market cities, some smaller than Australian capitals, so local breakfast news is potentially achievable here, at least in principle.

Like Global you would need extensive use of studio automation, centralized control rooms and sharing of relevant national and international content amongst all programs.

Whether or not Ten should do it is another debate.

2 Likes

Would all the bulletins be called “10 News First” or would they be “10 News First at 5” or “10 News First @ 6”?

I guess use @5, @6, etc. People would get used to it. They need to sound confident.

1 Like

That schedule doesn’t sound too bad, but I’d probably still run the 5pm news for the full hour (followed by The Project’s “News Delivered Differently” during the 6pm hour) because it’s a bit more sellable than a gameshow starting around the halfway point of those on Seven and Nine.

I reckon the 7pm news sounds like a great idea if it was a more city/metropolitan-centric service aimed at the commuter market which isn’t home in time to catch the 6pm (let alone Ten’s 5pm) bulletin but finds ABC News to be a bit too slow, while WIN could easily opt out of Ten’s 7pm news to run their local bulletins in the timeslot like they did during the last 2-3 years of Nine affiliation.

I think come October 31 a lot of what Lexington has suggested as a ‘mock up’ will be announced as being a reality.

1 Like

Why would Ten axe one of their biggest shows for an obviously lower-rating one? Hands off The Project 7pm!

SydneyCity you should also know that 6pm needs to be local news, if they are doing information. 6pm Project would be slaughtered.

Having said that, I understand TMZ is eating up the ratings at 6pm in Los Angeles on FOX11 - so maybe an entertainment-focused Project at 6pm could… could work!?

Local breakfast news? Axing The Project 7pm for local news? As if!

My 2 cents:
3:00 - CBS This Morning
5:00 - 10 Early News
5:30 - The Early Show
9:00 - 10 Morning News
9:30 - Studio 10
12:00 - 10 News @ Noon (like Nine News Now)
1:00 - daytime programming

5:00 - 10 News (national)
5:30 - Jeopardy
6:00 - 10 News Sydney
7:00 - The Project
7:30 - normal programming

10:00 - 10 Late News
10:30 - The Late Show W/ Colbert
11:30 The Late Late Show W/Corden

The only part I really majorly disagree with you there is 5pm. Do it local and you rate much, much, much better.

And I would do a longer, or even much longer, late news. 60 or 90 minutes would be my preference, not 30 minutes. It’s too narrow a window in this day and age for such an appointment viewing.

1 Like