Mock Schedules

My thoughts on how ten will begin the year.

JANUARY 2019 - FEBRUARY 2019 - I’m a Celebrity
FEBRUARY 2019 - EASTER - Dancing With The Stars/Changing Rooms
EASTER - MAY - Dancing With The Stars/Bachelor in Paradise

SUNDAY
6:00 Celebrity Name Game
6:30 The Project
7:30 I’m a Celebrity Get Me Outta Here/Sunday Night Takeaway
8:30 Sunday Night Movie/Sunday Night Takeaway Continued

MONDAY
7:30 I’m A Celebrity Get Me Outta Here/Dancing With The Stars
8:30 US Drama/Dancing Continued

TUESDAY
7:30 I’m a Celebrity Get Me Outta Here/Changing Rooms/Bachelor in Paradise
8:30 Hughesy We Have a Problem

WEDNESDAY
7:30 I’m a Celebrity Get Me Outta Here/Changing Rooms/Bachelor in Pardise
8:30 Australian Drama

THURSDAY
7:30 I’m a Celebrity/Changing Rooms/Show Me The Movie
8:30 SVU/Gogglebox

I am sure more will be announced but that is what I am thinking.

I was thinking Ten could try dropping Friday’s episode of Pointless (or whatever the slated game show is eg air it Sunday to Thursday at 6pm) and on Friday screen between 6pm and 8pm The Project Weekly - looking back at the best of the week on The Project) and a 1 hour game show. The Living Room could be bumped to 8pm to follow up with usual Friday viewing - I know this would make Friday different to the other days eg not having a 7:30pm start time, but it might be that point of difference Ten needs - after all Seven starts Better Homes and Gardens at 7pm on the same night - Thoughts? could something like I have suggested work or would it just flop?

I really don’t like how people keep suggesting a best of the project episode. If that is to happen it should be a daytime edition or multichannel edition not primetime edition.

Or even an earlier or later starting time for the Friday edition of The Project - noting in Central Australia The Project overlaps with NRL/AFL start times (where it screens between 6:30pm and 7:30pm)

A weekly edition of The Project could air on Sunday Morning (if Studio 10 is moved to a 8;30am or 9:00am start time) and perhaps move the Sports Tonight format to Saturday morning at 11am

Factoring in what we know so far, and a few slight fantasy adjustments / add ons – without major overhauls that I would personally like to see – here is how I would proceed with scheduling for Network Ten from 13th January through at least April (in some slots year round).

Weeknights

5:00 Ten News at Five – Local Edition.

5:30 Pointless new timeslot. (weekdays) Family Feud new timeslot. (weekends)

6:00 The Project new timeslot. Now 7 days a week. Sunday through Thursday team. Friday / Saturday team.

7:00 Ten Evening News – Local Edition. More live crosses. Different presenter to 5pm bulletin.

10:30 Ten Late News - Local Edition. The News at Five and Evening News presenter would alternate weeks in presenting the late edition.

Sunday

7:30 Show Me the Movie! (8 weeks) THEN Saturday Night Takeaway (8 weeks) THEN MasterChef (12 weeks) THEN Thank God You’re Here (8 weeks)

8:30 Sunday Night at the Movies (till ratings season) THEN 8:30 The Conners new US series / 9:00 The Kids Are Alright new US series

9:30 Sunday Night at the Movies (till ratings season) THEN 9:30 Single Parents new US series / 10:00 The Neighborhood new US series

Monday

7:30 I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here! (4 week season) THEN 7:30 Dave / 8:00 Mr. Black (12 week run each) THEN MasterChef (12 week season) THEN Survivor (8 week season) THEN The Amazing Race Australia new to TEN (8 week season)

8:30 Good News Week [Summer/Autumn] THEN Have You Been Paying Attention [Winter/Spring]

9:30 Murphy Brown new US series

10:00 I Feel Bad new US series

Tuesday

7:30 I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here! (4 week season) THEN Dancing with the Stars (8 week season) THEN Exathlon * new series* [adaptation of Spanish series] THEN MasterChef (12 week season) THEN Survivor (8 week season) THEN The Amazing Race Australia new to TEN (8 week season)

8:30 My Life if Murder new Australian drama As Yet Untitled Drama about 5 friends buying a house together

9:30 The Bodyguard new British drama THEN This is Us new timeslot

Wednesday

7:30 I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here! (4 week season) THEN Changing Rooms (6 week season) THEN Bachelor in Paradise (6 week season)

8:30 Drunk History: Australia THEN SuperNanny: Australia new season

9:30 God Friended Me new US series THEN A Million Little Things new US series

Thursday

7:30 I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here! (4 week season) THEN Changing Rooms (6 week season) THEN Bachelor in Paradise (6 week season) THEN MasterChef (12 week season) THEN The Bachelor (6 week season) THEN The Bachelorette (6 week season) THEN Come Dine with Me Australia (8 week season)
8:30 Hughesy We Have a Problem THEN Gogglebox (10 week season) THEN The Comment Section new series [based on US series of the same name, fronted by either Lee Lin Chin or Tommy Little] THEN Gogglebox (10 week season)

9:30 Taboo THEN Kinnie Tonight

Friday

7:30 Changing Rooms – MasterClass

8:30 The Living Room

9:30 The Graham Norton Show

Saturday

6:30 Secret Life of 4 and 5 Year Olds THEN Child Support new series [adaptation of US series of the same name]

7:30 Bring Back … Saturday Night.

9:00 Wanted new timeslot / revived

3 Likes

Awesome mock schedule. Many things I like, some I’m sceptical about.

1. Moving the 6-7.30pm schedule back half an hour could work out favourably. I do get the feeling that The Project may lose a little bit of that competitive edge by moving in line with Seven/Nine News though.
  2. Having Sunday night comedy blocks would be a great addition. Just a minor note though, I believe the rights for some of the US shows you mention, the main one being God Friended Me (Seven). It is a real shame that Ten were unable to pick it up, although the concept is god-awful it actually looks quite interesting.
  3. Some of the new shows you propose actually sound brilliant. Exathlon looks really interesting, sounds like it has a lot of parallels with Survivor while differing in its focus on physical challenges. SuperNanny, meh, might work for Eleven though. I don’t know whether a revival of The Amazing Race would work. Also unsure about bringing back Good News Week and TGYH! Had a brief read of the format for The Comment Section and it sounds like a great concept. Lee Lin Chin would be brilliant!

I really like some of your ideas.

• Not really sure about Show Me The Movie at 7:30 Sundays. Not sure why Celebrity isn’t airing 5 times a week. If its a shorter run surely ten will want it on every night bar Fridays and Saturdays.
  • I really like the inclusion of TGYH, just not sure ten will be able to bring it back.
  • Love the idea of The Amazing Race.
  • Love Good News Week coming back. I just wonder if Ten could air it on Fridays as a permanent thing for the year and maybe have Drunk History or something similar for Mondays until the beginning of Attention.
  • I think Tuesdays for Australian drama is a smart idea.
  • Not sure about your 8:30 Wednesdays. I wonder whether ten could go down the current affairs route in that timeslot. You mentioned a great idea in The Comment Section and perhaps something fronted with Lisa Wilkenson could go on Wednesdays?
  • Come Dine with Me Australia would be a great inclusion. Would love to see them bring this back and it would eventually provide content for Eleven.

Actually, I’ve just had a light bulb and thought this would be better:

Jan-May: MKR
May-August: House Rules
August-October: Australian Spartan/Take Me Out
October-December: The Wall (Revive it)/Instant Hotel

That is the best for them IMO. Nothing else is going to work, but this is probably their best shot.

If Ten can condense some content back to fewer nights or shorter instalments it could be beneficial - even more so if they could screen a popular show for 30 minutes followed by another reality vehicle from say 8pm til 9pm or 9:30pm

Its about the cost. Most of these reality shows cost a lot to produce so the hour episodes are needed to justify the cost.

I was just thinking program such as The Bachelor that run 2 nights a week could be cut in half and air over 4 nights instead of 2 nights a week. Yes I know there would be increased production costs to package it as 4 nights a week.

Don’t really know why you would change something that is working.

1 Like

I think people are happy with it airing twice a week.

I would be looking in the future to go reality free on Sunday, and either have 4 x 1 hour Monday through Thursday or 2 (2 x 1) as is the case with Survivor and The Bachelor.

I like this schedule (it is a very full schedule and I want to see a competitive ten to compete against 7 and 9). I have a couple of things that I would fix (in addition to some that others have brought up).

• I would fix is the length that Aus Survivor & Amazing Race Aus run for. I would go 10 weeks for Aus Survivor (20 episodes - shorter than the 26 eps that ten do currently but still long enough to be worthwhile given the cost of the show) and 6 for Amazing Race (12 episodes - equal to what 7 did for TARAu).

• Exathlon seams like a questionable programming choice (I had a look at the show’s website) , given that it looks very simular to Survivor. Unless Exathlon is dramatically different to Survivor, I would’t risk running these two very simular shows to minimise format fatigue (and even then I would run them as far away from each other as possible - example: Exathlon in Jan/Feb , Survivor in Jul/Aug)

Here is my daytime schedule for Ten. I know a lot will be against it, but here is what they could do

5:00am CBS Inside Edition
5:30am Entertainment Tonight
6:00am The Talk**
7:00am Ten Eyewitness News Early Edition**
8:00am Studio 10
10:30am Ten Morning News
11:00am Alive and Cooking
11:30am Good Chef Bad Chef
12:00am Dr Phil
1:00pm Afternoon Edition (possible host Jessica Rowe with male co-host - maybe Joel Hildebrande or Jonathon Coleman)
2:00pm Pointless
2:30pm The Price Is Right
3:30pm Sale Of The Century (encore)
4:00pm Judge Judy
4:30pm Bold And The Beautiful
5:00pm Ten News

** These options could be replaced with something like other forum member suggestions of “The Morning Project” or “The Morning Express” down the track if Ten can lure people back to the network with a quality offering - noting Sunrise started as an 1 hour 6am program

Saturday
5:00am Good Chef Bad Chef
5:30am Everyday Gourmet
6:00am Escape Fishing
6:30am Reel Action
7:00am Tales By Light
10:00am Foodie Adventure
10:30am Sammy and Bella’s Kitchen Rescue
11:00am The Living Room*** (encore)
12:00pm Weekend Edition
1:00pm 48 Hour Destination
1:30pm Healthy Homes
2:00pm Pointless^
2:30pm as per current schedule

*** The Living Room Saturday encore could be dropped if Sports Weekly (working title) were to be extended to 90 minutes or 2 hours

^ Assuming Ten retains Pointless 6 days a week

Sunday
5:00am Hour Of Power
6:00am Mass For You
6:30am Hillsongs Presents
7:00am The Living Room (encore)
10:00am Sunday Morning
12:00pm Weekend Edition
1:00pm Luxury Escapes
1:30pm The Cooks Pantry
2:00pm As per Ten’s current schedule

Late night/Early Morning - Monday To Thursday
Option 1
12:30am Late Show
1:30am Infomercials
3:30am CBS This Morning

Option 2
12:30am CBS This Morning (with Ten News Updates)
2:00am Infomercials
4:00am The Late Show

Friday Overnight
Option 1
12:30am The Late Show
1:30am Infomercials
3:30am CBS This Morning

Option 2
12:30am CBS This Morning
2:00am Infomercials
4:00am The Late Show

Saturday Overnight
Option 1
12:30am The Weekly Project**^
1:30am 48 Hours
2:30am CBS This Morning Saturday
4:00am Joel Osteen
4:30am Joseph Prince

Option 2
12:30am The Weekly Project**^
1:30am CBS This Morning Saturday
3:00am 48 Hours
4:00am Joel Osteen
4:30am Joseph Prince

**^ Assuming Ten produced a weekly edition of The Project, otherwise encores of programs throughout the week could air- some options could be RPM (assuming it is being produced at the time) or Have You Been Paying Attention.

Sunday Overnight
Option 1
12:15am Sports Tonight^^
12:55am Infomercials
2:55am CBS Sunday Morning
4:10am CBS Face The Nation

Option 2
12:15am CBS Sunday Morning
1:30am CBS Face The Nation
2:20am Infomercials
4:20am Sports Tonight^^

^^ Assuming Sports Tonight is renewed. Alternatively Fishing Australia (or other sports based lifestyle program and Studio 10 Extra as filler programs)

Ten have a healthy variety of content for the 7:30 slots to end the year. Which is a nice change.

Here is what I would do:

Sunday
7:30 Blind Date
8:30 How to Stay Married
9:00 The Conners
9:30 This is Us

Monday
7:30 Game of Games

Tuesday (older skewing night, the theme of which will continue with DWTS)
7:30 Ambulance (if 1 hour, otherwise paired with Secret Life of 4 Year Olds)
8:30 FBI
9:30 NCIS
10:30 NCIS: NO or LA

I will be watching commercial TV for the first time in a long time myself once Ambulance makes it to air. The promo was great.

4 Likes

There is no reason why a ‘Ten News: First’ morning program wouldn’t work. Give me a budget of $100k a week and I will show you how it is done.

Model it off ABC News: 24 and ABC News Radio mornings. 5:30 - 8:30. 30 minute blocks. Sport toward the half hour as per traditional bulletins. Pick presenters that aren’t cookie cutter. I would go completely left field and have Susan Carland (Waleed Aly’s wife) along with a respectable male presenter – perhaps even try and get Mal Walden in for a year or two. Base yourself out of Melbourne out of the news set. Interviews. Live crosses. No need for the jibber jabber gimmicky crap that Sunrise or Today serve up. Heck even have a podcast option on Ten Play / Ten Daily where people can tap into the program with audio only as they commute to work.

3 Likes

Given 9Extra is becoming 9YourMoney, there could be some infomercial content up for grabs. Given the bandwidth available on the from the previous Home Shopping Channel attempts. If Ten did want to create a mixed channel, now might be the time. A possible schedule might look like this, assuming this doesnt breach any licensing conditions

Monday to Friday
12:00am Dr Phil
1:00am Infomercials
7:00am CBS This Morning
8:30am Infomercials
11:30am Entertainment Tonight
12:00pm Bens Menu
12:30pm Good Chef Bad Chef
1:00pm Infomercials
4:00pm Reality TV Series** (Whatever screened the previous night on Ten at 7:30pm eg Masterchef, I’m A Celeb etc)
5:30pm The Talk
6:30pm The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
7:30pm The Late Late Show with James Corden

Monday To Thursday
8:30pm The Project
9:30pm Reality TV Series **(Whatever is screening on Ten at 7:30pm eg Masterchef, I’m A Celeb etc)
11:00pm International Reality TV Series

** Filers for this slot could be Bondi Rescue/Territory Cops/Gold Coast Cops

Friday
8:30pm The Project
9:30pm The Living Room
10:30pm Operation Repo

Saturday
12:00am The Doctors
7:00am Fishing Australia
7:30am Alive And Cooking
8:00am 48 Hour Destination
11:30am Foodie Adventure
12:00pm Reel Action
12:30pm Australia By Design
4:00pm The Living Room
5:00pm Bondi Vet
5:30pm Documentary Of The Week
6:30pm International Reality TV Series (encore, Sunday)
7:30pm International Reality TV Series (encore, Monday)
8:30pm International Reality TV Series (encore, Tuesday)
9:30pm International Reality TV Series (encore, Wednesday)
10:30pm Operation Repo
11:00pm 48 Hours (encore, Sunday)

Sunday
12:00am The Doctors
7:00am Luxury Escapes
7:30am Pooches At Play
8:00am Jamies 15 Minute Meals
11:30am Everyday Gourmet
12:00pm Documentary Of The Week (encore, Saturday)
4:00pm Healthy Homes
4:30pm Escape Fishing
5:00pm Whats Up Down Under
5:30pm International Reality TV Series (encore, Thursday)
6:30pm International Reality TV Series (encore, Friday)
7:30pm 48 Hours
8:30pm The Sunday Project
9:30pm Reality TV Series

you’re the only person I’ve ever seen advocating for more infomercials.

2 Likes

Tens advertising revenue is smaller than other networks - It could be a way to generate more revenue that could potentially be put into provide better quality programming.