Mock Schedules

They did the same thing when feud launched…

Why couldn’t the format be tightened to 30 mins with a smaller number of contestants or time limits etc? Then strip it from Sunday-Friday at 6? A procedural game show won’t last long stripped at 60 minutes in core primetime. Seven originally overexposed Weakest Link and that killed it. ABC in America did the same with Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and NBC with Deal or No Deal.

Its all about cost. Its much more cost effective to produce 5 x 30 minute episodes rather than 1 x 1 hour.

The format would be half an hour like @turdall has proposed, but started at 7:30pm until 8pm under my proposal, then if it works the half hour show is moved to 6pm.

I personally, wouldnt air it at 6pm on Saturday or Sunday,

I think you like the idea of moving things around too much. Consistency is a key, if you ask me. There is no reason why a new game show couldn’t succeed with a promotional push. We don’t need gimmicks and tricks.

I agree Start it at 6pm. Family Feud is failing and they need something to fill the void. If Weakest Link airs at 7.30 are you proposing a continuation of floundering Family Feud at 6? Or Battle of the Sexes?

Although I get where you are coming from, I don’t see the point in filling in the schedule with big budget programming that might not rate due to sport. Over Summer you can run a 7:30pm promotional push…

Perhaps you are right, but what if Weakest Link rates worse???

I disagree, otherwise I would say move Ten News to 6:30pm over Summer,

PLUS

Obviously, you have no aversion to moving programs around to suit YOUR agenda

Are you talking about Big Brother? Well I don’t think that’s the right attitude to have. People are looking for an alternative. Not everyone wants to watch sport and you can’t just roll over and accept below 8% shares.

I don’t think you are understanding me. As I have said

It wouldn’t be ideal to change Lisa to that 8:30 slot but it would be less ideal to remove an episode of Celebrity or remove her from the schedule completely. Of course there are times when moving a program is necessary but when it isn’t something you need to do why do it?

But why waste money on a program that is almost 20 years old from its original carnation and lasting 8 seasons on Ten and only last 3 seasons on Nine. Why flog a dead horse. As has been pointed out by others on the past, often re-boots don’t work, so why put such a high priced production up against the sporting juggernaut that is that Australian Open tennis???

You reasoning for moving things after condemning me really baffles me.

Lisa’s transition from Nine to Ten hasnt been successful so far… Nine has tried Karl Stefanovic hosted programs post 8:30pm with The Verdict only lasting 5 episodes before being cancelled. Although This Time Next Year is also speculated to be on air in 2019, I wouldnt hold my breathe.

Again another instance of moving programs for your own agenda - Its Summer ffs maybe it could be “rested”

Also airing Weakest link 7 days a week, I think that would be overkill - This kind of programming mentality has potentially harms Family Feud with 6 episodes a week screening Sunday to Friday, with the WIN network not doing it any favours in WIN News bulletin regions dumping it from the schedule completely Monday to Friday

The Living Room would be in repeat mode over the Summer. Not really the same thing.

Another ridiculous comment. What has this got to do with anything I posted? Do you expect Ten just to not utilise or use her in any form because she has been on The Project? It has actually been quite successful anyway. The Sunday Project has seen significant gains. And I’m not going to even touch on Karl Stephenovic what that has to do with Lisa is baffling to me.

Fair point. I don’t see the harm in having 7 days a week. It wouldn’t cost much to produce another episode a week. But hey.[quote=“jb76, post:272, topic:574”]
But why waste money on a program that is almost 20 years old from its original carnation and lasting 8 seasons on Ten and only last 3 seasons on Nine. Why flog a dead horse. As has been pointed out by others on the past, often re-boots don’t work, so why put such a high priced production up against the sporting juggernaut that is that Australian Open tennis???

You reasoning for moving things after condemning me really baffles me.
[/quote]

Its not up against the Australian Open for the whole 3 months is it? Oh my god your logic baffles me sometimes. You do realise I have it on air from November-February, right? In November it wouldn’t be in direct competition against any sports during the evening. In December it would be up against a few weeks of Big Bash. Its only January where it will have to compete against the sports competitions. I understand its a 20 year old program but its not something we have on air at the moment, it fits a demographic and its completely different to sport.

What would you suggest? Ten roll over and say ok Nine and Seven you win? Call me crazy but I would like some healthy competition over the Summer. Its the biggest money spending time of the year and I am sure advertisers would jump on board over the Christmas period.

Anyway I think we should just agree to disagree and move on. I am not going to be for your idea of launching a game show at 6:30, keeping family feud and changing an identifiable program like The Project to a 30 minute segment or moving it around the schedule. And you are obviously not going to agree with having The Weakest Link or some new game show at 6pm. Fair enough.

Bachelor in Paradise is the answer to January scheduling woes. It could even help them spoil MAFS a bit because the target audience could have had enough of their love show fix.

Or better yet,give Celebrity one last chance and launch it in second week of January before the Australian Open starts.

Its probably too expensive to launch in January. The cost that goes into Celebrity wouldn’t be justifiable.

I know its a pipe dream to have programs over December 20 - Jan 2 but I do believe they need to fix the hole between November - Christmas more than they do say January - February.

But don’t households using television decline more rapidly in November-December before picking up again in Jan?

Do you think that has to do with the fact that networks don’t air anything during those months though?

As I have said before audiences spend the most money in December - the lead up to Christmas. Advertisers want shows that are going to bring viewers to the screen so they can advertise their product during the biggest spending month of the year.

The closest thing I have heard you say to a sensible comment of late. Perhaps tighter programming and not having holes in your reality schedule might help. As an example the gaps between Im a Celeb (admittedly for Easter), The Bachelor and Masterchef could be solved by either creating a new reality concept - potentially one that hasnt been tried before possibly for January to early to mid February.

You plan to end it early February - 2 out of your last 3 weeks will be up against the Australian Open - that is where my logic lies - If you have YOUR marquee event up against a sporting event like that, you might as well do nothing - Perhaps if you launched it a month early (just after the NRL/AFL finals series) and wound it up in late December - you might have a sporting chance, then early January maybe launch The Bachelor (or The Biggest Loser). This has a bit more potential to work and wouldnt have issues like people being away from their family etc.

I think you need to not screen reality TV in the Christmas/New Year period.

The past failings of her former co-host attempt at a move into prime time and the lacklustre ratings since Lisa Wilkinson has joined The Project. I am not saving that the proposed Lisa Wilkinson vehicle will fail, but given the tendency on reality programs to breach the 8:30pm scheduled conclusion time, I am not convinced about your argument for it to move to 8:30pm that is unless you are looking at content that would require a later slot, then maybe it could work

A good example of a successful move of a breakfast host to prime time is the one that hosts a program pre 8:30pm - Tracy Grimshaw hosting A Current Affair

I am not saying I wouldnt program a game show at 6pm. In the Saving Ten post someone listed a schedule something like this

5:00pm Ten News
5:30pm Pointless
6pm Ten News at Six
7pm The Project

I suggested that you maintain at 5pm News hour, screen Pointless at 6pm and iof you were to cut down The Project, the only logical successor would be a 6:30pm news.

Everyone has an opinion on this - ideally The Project would remain an hour program. Regardless Ten needs to build on its 6pm to 7:30pm slkot and the suggestion of moving things, changing schedules comes from the fact that all networks have done it in the past. When Family Feud was launched on 7 in Summer 89/90, it started at 6:30pm (in Home and Away’s timeslot) then moved to 5pm when Home And Away returned.

This belief I am opposed to it is just YOUR opinion

@turdall, why dont you stick The Biggest Loser into your schedule somewhere???

I’m sorry but I dont understand a vast majority of what you posted. Perhaps go back and reread and edit so i can respond accordingly.

Hey @turdall The more I think of your Big Brother proposal, the more I think it could work. More so if they adopt the original 85 day format, possibly starting it last week of September - screening the Daily Show 7 nights a week, instead of Thursday Night/Friday Night Games - Saturday Night Games starting in the last week in September . Trying to ensure the final show is in the third week of December potentially integrating it with a carols by candlelight type special straight after.

As an example if it started this year, it could start on 23 September 2018, with the first eviction show at 7:30pm on Monday 1 October, with the rest of the eviction shows each Sunday except in the week commencing 9 December 2018 where I would have an eviction show on 9 December and 12 December 2018 with the Finale on 16 December 2018.

Saturday Night Games finale would be on 24 November 2018 (with a Best Of Saturday Night Games Special airing on 1 December 2018).

2 Likes