Mock Schedules

essentially that was supposed to be Colin and Justins Home Heist or 20/20

Silly decision on Network Tenā€™s behalf scheduling a typically older skewing US program in Law and Order: SVU against another US show in The Good Doctor [even though it may do well in demos, it does have a high 55+ demographic as well].

In my opinion Network Ten would be better off sticking to ā€˜themedā€™ nights that have a proven record of doing decently.

Monday night for example should have been:

7:30 Iā€™m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here THEN Bachelor in Paradise THE MasterChef
9:00 Hughesy We Have a Problem THEN Have You Been Paying Attention THEN Good News Week

Thursday could have been something like with the ā€˜tag lineā€™ - ā€˜a night in with the familyā€™ (or something of the sort):

8:30 GoogleBox
9:30 This is Us

are they trying to provide a mix though.

If I was a programmer, Monday to Thursday I would provide an hour of comedy (on Tuesday and Thursday)/ General entertainment (such as Have You Been Paying Attention on Monday and Wednesday), an hour of reality, two hours of drama(Monday to Wednesday)/Movie ( or encore of new programs on Thursday) and news based programming

On Friday I would screen The Living Room, a movie , an hour of drama followed by a news based show.

On Saturday a reality based show (such as Bondi Rescue) , early evening 1 hour sports show, a documentary, a movie, 1 hour of comedy and an hour of drama.

Sunday I would provide a infotainment/reality show (Such as Bondi Vet or Territory Cops), two hours of drama and news based programming, with Sunday having a current affairs show and a reality game show plus a movie.

You need to provide something for everybody each night, to ensure they donā€™t go to a competitorā€¦ people are generally too lazy (or in some cases intelligent) to change the channel.

This would be my mock schedule for GEM (depending on rights and availability of the content I have suggested)

Monday To Friday
5:00am Creflo A. Dollar
5:30am Infomercials
7:00am A Current Affair
7:30am Hot Seat
8:30am Sanford And Son
9:00am Ellen
10:00am Harry
11:00am Informercials
12:00pm Movie
2:00pm General Hospital
2:55pm Heartbeat
4:00pm Hairy Bikers
5:00pm Sanford and Son
5:30pm Four In A Bed

With all the talk in the ratings threads over the last few days about where Iā€™m a Celebrityā€¦ should air/if it should return or not, I thought Iā€™d look at what I think Tenā€™s reality schedule should look like next year. Some of these formats might not be available to Ten, but its just a random idea.

Straight out of the Big Bash (assuming they retain the rights):
Sunday: The Hit - Shiny floor format/Family entertainment. Ten bought this format many years ago. If they could get a few high profile artists to sign on, get the songs played on the radio etc, I think this format could really create some buzz.
Monday & Tuesday: Ink Master Australia - Really ā€œMasterChefā€ the format. Should appeal to men with the large Big Bash promotional period leading up to it.
Wednesday & Thursday: The Amazing Race Australia - Seven has never quite been able to make it work. If Ten can do an ā€œAustralian Survivorā€ with the format they could be onto a winner.

Mid March - Start May
Iā€™m a Celebrityā€¦ Get Me out of Here! - I still think it has life in it. It seems like a waste to have this be the only reality show advertised during the Big Bash. Perhaps going forward Bachelor in Paradise could be on every other year.

May - End of June
MasterChef Australia

End of June - Start August
Sunday, Monday & Tuesday: Australian Survivor
Wednesday & Thursday: The Bachelor

August - Mid October
Big Brother - Back to the original format. Live streaming on CBS All Access (if/when it launches). Uncut version of the show every night on Eleven at 9:30.

Mid October - End November
Sunday: Hidden Hereos - Change the format slightly to look less like a news story and more observational/factual.
Monday & Tuesday: Hunted
Wednesday & Thursday: The Bachelorette

Thoughts?

1 Like

I like a lot of your ideas but I do have two minor criticisms.

• I think Ink Master is too niche for a Network. It seems like an interesting format but one I could only see working on 11 or some Foxtel channel. Even if you were going to have Ink Master in Tenā€™s main channel, I would have it later in the week (Wednesday/Thursday) to allow a more established franchise in TARAus to have what is generally a higher rating night (Monday/Tuesday).

• I also think that Aus Survivor should be limited to two nights a week (Monday/Tuesday) - three nights seams like an overload for casual viewers. Then fill the Sunday night slot with a weekly format (letā€™s say Julia Morrisā€™s Blind Date or Shark Tank).

1 Like

I really like your schedule. However, I do wonder how launching 3 new reality formats would go out of the Big Bash. Its a lot of new formats.

I like the idea of putting Celebrity in March. I would just wonder about availability of the set.

I wonder whether you swap Masterchef the Survivor timeslots. I think Masterchef could be pushed back a little next year to give it a slight break.

I like Hidden hereos and think it could be a potentially smart show - even if it was 8:30 and all year round. Could be something Lisa Wilkenson hosts.

I do wonder if Bachelor in Paradise does really well in the ratings where you would put that.

1 Like

I kind of agree, which is why I was thinking out of the Big Bash is the best chance it would get to snag viewers.

I really like it when itā€™s on three nights a week, but I see your point.

Yeah, it is a lot. I guess I just though the Big Bash is the best platform to launch from that Ten are ever going to get. Maybe one could be replaced with Shark Tank.

I would probably just replace The Bachelor one year, The Bachelorette the next, Celebrity the nextā€¦ really mix up the time of year these shows air. Could perhaps prolong their life if they arenā€™t on every year. I also really think all the Bachelor franchises would benefit from a break between each one.

Thanks for the feedback. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Seven schedule post-Commonwealth Games (didnā€™t expect the network to announce airdates for The Interview and Back with the Ex so quickly)

Sunday
07:00pm My Kitchen Rules
08:30pm Sunday Night

Monday
07:30pm My Kitchen Rules
09:00pm The Good Doctor season finale, then The Resident returns on 23/4

Tuesday
09:00pm The Interview

Wednesday
09:00pm Back with the Ex

Thursday
07:00pm Home and Away
08:00pm Modern Family
08:30pm The Mentor

Uh, Seven has already announced that Back with the Ex will be on Wednesdays at 9:00. And thereā€™s likely to be H&A triples, MKR and House Rules airing on Thursdays for the next month or so; H&A particularly since it needs to catch up on episodes missed from the Commonwealth Games periodā€¦

I thought Seven showed double and triple episodes of Home and Away before the Commonwealth Games so it would not have to show multiples when normal programming resumes.

Double episodes usually air on Thursday because there is no H&A on Fridays due to AFL screening on main channel in all states except NSW and QLD. I daresay there will be around 10 weeks of triple episodes (whether screening over successive weeks or just over the rest of the year), its unclear, I guess best to keep an eye on your EPG.

Those doubles & triples only made up for the Thursday nights where there were single episodes due to MKR or when it didnā€™t air at all due to those 2 weeks of Thursday night football. If you actually go back and calculate how many episodes have shown so far this year and how many should have shown on the basis that 5 episodes should be airing per week, youā€™ll find that it is actually behind already, not ahead of where it should be. Anyone who was saying otherwise is wrong; the episodes aired before the Commonwealth Games didnā€™t ā€˜make upā€™ any lost days in this period at all.

So yes @jb76 is right, there will need to be several weeks of triples over the coming months to get H&A back on track to where it should be, unless Seven leave them all to show in a heap of triples come non-ratings period at the end of the year in Decemberā€¦

If I were a programmer at 7, I would adopt the following approach Monday to Thursday in the weeks after the Commonwealth Games, I would screen double episodes each night (except where a conflict between doing this and AFL coverage occurs) until caught up to where H&A needs to be. So some weeks you might get a 4 night slate on doubles (others you might get 2 or 3 doubles).

Each program that would usually be slated for 7:30pm would screen at 8pm whilst this occurs and all programming throughout the night would also be 30 minutes later. Therefore, MKR would scree immediately after at 8pm on each night it is planned to screen, with possibly Modern Family at 8pm on Thursday.

However it this approach isnā€™t working throughout the first week, then revert to airing triples on Thursdays

Appropriate thread for this I think -

Network Ten

Early Evenings
5:00 The Project new time
6:00 Ten Evening News [state based editions]. Heavy promotional push. New sets. Tackle the competition head on.
7:00 Generational Divide. _New comedic game show taking elements from Talkinā€™ bout Your Generation, Googlebox, Have You Been Paying Attention, Chasers etc - 3 celebrities, 1 for each generation. Can change weekly etc. Then we have a member from a regular Aussie family from each generation. Discussing newsworthy events, doing mock skits, comedic questions, Googlebox style generation review of shows on occasion. Could work. Runs Monday through Friday. Rove / Kitty Flanagan / Shaun Micalef / Chaser boys all as potential hosts.
7:00 Saturday / Sunday Night in with Rove. Former Rove show-esque. Tighter format

Reality offerings to fill cricket ball sized hole in summer.
Mid November through December (6 weeks) - Come Dine with Me Australia Monday to Thursday. Christmas week could have a themed week being Come Dine with My Family.
January through early February (6 weeks) - Amazing Race Australia (stripped format) or Big Brother.

I also have an idea for a reality program to air mid year.

Title Changing Homes. For 8 weeks, each week we follow 2 families swapping homes. Renovating to the others tastes to the best of their ability a certain portion of the property. This is judge by family, and also a judging panel. Winner of each week goes to the knockout rounds 8 weeks later as we knock down to the final 2. It could run for just over 3 months.

How about no

No Big Bash for Ten this summer so they need to spend some money to combat summer. I have an idea for Summer and then the first half of next year:

**November 2017 - END JANUARY 2018 **
Sunday
6:00 Family Feud
6:30 The Project
7:30 Big Brother: Live Eviction
9:30 *Sunday Night Chat Show

Weeknights

Monday
7:30 Big Brother Daily Show
8:30 Big Brother: Nominations
9:30 US Show

Tuesday
7:30 Big Brother: Daily Show
8:30 Hughsey We Have A Problem - Repeats over summer

Wednesday
8:30 Cram
9:30 Big Brother: Uncut

Thursday
7:30 Big Brother: Thursday Night Games

Friday
8:30 The Living Room
9:30 Hughsey Rpt

Saturday
6:30 The Project: Saturday
7:30 Ambulance/David Attenborough
8:30 Graham Norton Show
9:30 Repeats/Encores

February - April
Ten brings The Apprentice and The Amazing Race back to Australia to 7:30.
Ten launches 9:30 News service
Iā€™m a Celebrity to launch after Easter
Bachelor in Paradise launches end of May
Masterchef launches in June

Sunday
6:00 The Weakest Link
7:30 The Apprentice
8:30 *Chat Show
9:30 Ten News

Weeknights
6:00 The Weakest Link
9:30 Ten News

Monday
8:30 Hughsey We Have A Problem

Tuesday
8:30 Shark Tank

Wednesday
7:30 The Amazing Race: Australia
8:30 48 Hours Australia

Thursday
7:30 The Amazing Race: Australia
8:30 Gogglebox

Friday
7:30 The Living Room
8:30 All Star Family Feud

Saturday
6:00 Weakest Link
7:30 Hughsey rpt
8:30 48 Hours rpt

I wouldnt quite do what you are doingā€¦ I would switch your 7:30pm and 8:30pm programs around each night (Monday to Wednesday and Friday and air Big Brother Daily Show at 8:30pm and on Thursday, straight after Thursday Night Games). I would make Big Brother Daily Show more of an adult focused content and the thing I would do when The Project goes off for 2 weeks over Christmas, insert All Star Family Feud repeats at 6:00pm, and air The Best Of The Project at 7pm til 7:30pm, prerecorded and maybe have a different panellist introduce it each night.

1 Like

Each to their own but I wouldnā€™t do that. I think we all know programs havenā€™t been ratings after 8:30. No reason to put the show that builds the story on at 8:30.

Who said Big Brother is coming back? I thought it was just David Knoxā€™s April Fools joke on TV Tonightā€¦