Mock Schedules

Nine and Seven will be looking to figuratively keep their foot on Tens head to keep Ten’s head in the under the water - lets face it, no one wants to be the third ranked commercial station

No doubt. The aim of the game is to win in some respect whether it be in key demographics or total people, news and / or at breakfast (aka trash).

Otherwise Seven would not have gone with dating at this time of the year, while Ten have dating at the same time. They thought they could prove the spoiler. It was the case also when Seven launched MKR following the success of MasterChef.

All I am noting is the trend that I am seeing where a particular network is ‘known’ for programming a specific genre if you will at a specific time of year.

I do think Seven are in trouble - the weight of the AFL broadcast deal is starting to seep through.

As is Nine with the Today Show.

Once Ten show Beverley McGarvey the door, they will be in with a good chance especially with the investments they seem to have been making and what looks to be a complete presentation overhaul in the next month or so.

Some Ten ideas.
5:00 - CBS This Morning
6:30 - Ten News: Rush Hour (Bulletin, headlines every 15 minutes).
7:30 - Press Review * (casual review of the big news stories with a host and two journalists - Think Sky UK’s press preview)
8:00 - Sports Today* (Press Review but for sports stories with national and international headlines).
8:30 - Studio 10

5:00 - Ten News FAF (metro)
5:30 - Pointless
(WIN News Opt out)
6:00 - Bring Back 6pm on Ten (no idea what goes here really)
6:30 - The Project
7:00 - Ten Evening News (Metro) *
7:30 - Primetime

*streamed live on Facebook and uploaded in podcast form for commuters.

1 Like

Not sure if this can sustain 30 minutes: remember our print market is a lot more concentrated than the UK’s, so while you might have different local stories you’d have similar headlines for national events - and a smaller pool to choose from

The All New Simpsons.

3 Likes

I’d include online outlets like the Guardian/Buzzfeed/NYT in there as well, maybe starting serious and getting lighter (finish with the NT News).

With only 21 minutes of content to fill that shouldn’t be too difficult. Sky AU can pull out an hour of press reviews every night with just News Corp papers.

Ten needs this late night schedule imo:

9:30 Local News
10:00 Sports Tonight
10:30 Local News
11:00 The Project (rpt)
12:00 Late Show

They also need a bright and bubbly morning news leading into Studio 10.

1 Like

These shows are probably great for Thursday/Saturday night viewing. Maybe a new sport show (not Ninja or Spartan but still competition like) will work well.

Sorry for double posting, but in an ideal world, this is what Seven’s yearly schedule should revolve around (in terms of realities).

Seven
Jan-March: House Rules/Instant Hotel paired with a new drama or a top rating one like the Good Doctor
April-July: A new game show (that doesn’t involve winning money, but something similar to Vs Arashi in Japan) and/or a Sports Competition-style show stripped across 3/4 nights, paired with a family drama (like 800 Words) or sitcom (Modern Family style)
August-October: MKR
November-December: Family shows such as Little Big Shots/Take Me Out/All Together Now etc.

*All year round though there should be a new drama complementing every show. In this way Seven can go back to their roots and surge back into dominance.

My tip / How I would schedule:

I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here - Q1 February / March (personally I would can the program my-self)
Sunday Night Take Away - Q4 - October / November
Dancing with the Stars Grant Denyer & Amanda Keller Q1 - Feb / March (Has to be on a Tuesday but knowing the bozos that run Ten, this won’t be the case).
Celebrity Name Game Grant Denyer Q4 - October / November.

This is one of the only ways you avoid over exposure to the talent fronting the programs.

Ten, 6:00-8:30am Monday
The Monday Morning Eat In Hangover
Julia Morris and Chris Brown review last night’s show through bleary eyes and some hair of the dog.

I think, the fact they are announcing them now, means they will air early next year. I think Dancing will go in March after Celebrity and air alongside Bach in Paradise.

I think Sunday Night Takeaway will air with Masterchef.

Celebrity Name Game will probably air either 6pm Sundays or weeknights 6pm.

Both slated for early next year according to Ten’s press releases today, I’d probably have to agree with you on where they’re likely to be scheduled.

My thoughts on how ten will begin the year.

JANUARY 2019 - FEBRUARY 2019 - I’m a Celebrity
FEBRUARY 2019 - EASTER - Dancing With The Stars/Changing Rooms
EASTER - MAY - Dancing With The Stars/Bachelor in Paradise

SUNDAY
6:00 Celebrity Name Game
6:30 The Project
7:30 I’m a Celebrity Get Me Outta Here/Sunday Night Takeaway
8:30 Sunday Night Movie/Sunday Night Takeaway Continued

MONDAY
7:30 I’m A Celebrity Get Me Outta Here/Dancing With The Stars
8:30 US Drama/Dancing Continued

TUESDAY
7:30 I’m a Celebrity Get Me Outta Here/Changing Rooms/Bachelor in Paradise
8:30 Hughesy We Have a Problem

WEDNESDAY
7:30 I’m a Celebrity Get Me Outta Here/Changing Rooms/Bachelor in Pardise
8:30 Australian Drama

THURSDAY
7:30 I’m a Celebrity/Changing Rooms/Show Me The Movie
8:30 SVU/Gogglebox

I am sure more will be announced but that is what I am thinking.

I was thinking Ten could try dropping Friday’s episode of Pointless (or whatever the slated game show is eg air it Sunday to Thursday at 6pm) and on Friday screen between 6pm and 8pm The Project Weekly - looking back at the best of the week on The Project) and a 1 hour game show. The Living Room could be bumped to 8pm to follow up with usual Friday viewing - I know this would make Friday different to the other days eg not having a 7:30pm start time, but it might be that point of difference Ten needs - after all Seven starts Better Homes and Gardens at 7pm on the same night - Thoughts? could something like I have suggested work or would it just flop?

I really don’t like how people keep suggesting a best of the project episode. If that is to happen it should be a daytime edition or multichannel edition not primetime edition.

Or even an earlier or later starting time for the Friday edition of The Project - noting in Central Australia The Project overlaps with NRL/AFL start times (where it screens between 6:30pm and 7:30pm)

A weekly edition of The Project could air on Sunday Morning (if Studio 10 is moved to a 8;30am or 9:00am start time) and perhaps move the Sports Tonight format to Saturday morning at 11am

Factoring in what we know so far, and a few slight fantasy adjustments / add ons – without major overhauls that I would personally like to see – here is how I would proceed with scheduling for Network Ten from 13th January through at least April (in some slots year round).

Weeknights

5:00 Ten News at Five – Local Edition.

5:30 Pointless new timeslot. (weekdays) Family Feud new timeslot. (weekends)

6:00 The Project new timeslot. Now 7 days a week. Sunday through Thursday team. Friday / Saturday team.

7:00 Ten Evening News – Local Edition. More live crosses. Different presenter to 5pm bulletin.

10:30 Ten Late News - Local Edition. The News at Five and Evening News presenter would alternate weeks in presenting the late edition.

Sunday

7:30 Show Me the Movie! (8 weeks) THEN Saturday Night Takeaway (8 weeks) THEN MasterChef (12 weeks) THEN Thank God You’re Here (8 weeks)

8:30 Sunday Night at the Movies (till ratings season) THEN 8:30 The Conners new US series / 9:00 The Kids Are Alright new US series

9:30 Sunday Night at the Movies (till ratings season) THEN 9:30 Single Parents new US series / 10:00 The Neighborhood new US series

Monday

7:30 I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here! (4 week season) THEN 7:30 Dave / 8:00 Mr. Black (12 week run each) THEN MasterChef (12 week season) THEN Survivor (8 week season) THEN The Amazing Race Australia new to TEN (8 week season)

8:30 Good News Week [Summer/Autumn] THEN Have You Been Paying Attention [Winter/Spring]

9:30 Murphy Brown new US series

10:00 I Feel Bad new US series

Tuesday

7:30 I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here! (4 week season) THEN Dancing with the Stars (8 week season) THEN Exathlon * new series* [adaptation of Spanish series] THEN MasterChef (12 week season) THEN Survivor (8 week season) THEN The Amazing Race Australia new to TEN (8 week season)

8:30 My Life if Murder new Australian drama As Yet Untitled Drama about 5 friends buying a house together

9:30 The Bodyguard new British drama THEN This is Us new timeslot

Wednesday

7:30 I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here! (4 week season) THEN Changing Rooms (6 week season) THEN Bachelor in Paradise (6 week season)

8:30 Drunk History: Australia THEN SuperNanny: Australia new season

9:30 God Friended Me new US series THEN A Million Little Things new US series

Thursday

7:30 I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here! (4 week season) THEN Changing Rooms (6 week season) THEN Bachelor in Paradise (6 week season) THEN MasterChef (12 week season) THEN The Bachelor (6 week season) THEN The Bachelorette (6 week season) THEN Come Dine with Me Australia (8 week season)
8:30 Hughesy We Have a Problem THEN Gogglebox (10 week season) THEN The Comment Section new series [based on US series of the same name, fronted by either Lee Lin Chin or Tommy Little] THEN Gogglebox (10 week season)

9:30 Taboo THEN Kinnie Tonight

Friday

7:30 Changing Rooms – MasterClass

8:30 The Living Room

9:30 The Graham Norton Show

Saturday

6:30 Secret Life of 4 and 5 Year Olds THEN Child Support new series [adaptation of US series of the same name]

7:30 Bring Back … Saturday Night.

9:00 Wanted new timeslot / revived

3 Likes

Awesome mock schedule. Many things I like, some I’m sceptical about.

1. Moving the 6-7.30pm schedule back half an hour could work out favourably. I do get the feeling that The Project may lose a little bit of that competitive edge by moving in line with Seven/Nine News though.
  2. Having Sunday night comedy blocks would be a great addition. Just a minor note though, I believe the rights for some of the US shows you mention, the main one being God Friended Me (Seven). It is a real shame that Ten were unable to pick it up, although the concept is god-awful it actually looks quite interesting.
  3. Some of the new shows you propose actually sound brilliant. Exathlon looks really interesting, sounds like it has a lot of parallels with Survivor while differing in its focus on physical challenges. SuperNanny, meh, might work for Eleven though. I don’t know whether a revival of The Amazing Race would work. Also unsure about bringing back Good News Week and TGYH! Had a brief read of the format for The Comment Section and it sounds like a great concept. Lee Lin Chin would be brilliant!

I really like some of your ideas.

• Not really sure about Show Me The Movie at 7:30 Sundays. Not sure why Celebrity isn’t airing 5 times a week. If its a shorter run surely ten will want it on every night bar Fridays and Saturdays.
  • I really like the inclusion of TGYH, just not sure ten will be able to bring it back.
  • Love the idea of The Amazing Race.
  • Love Good News Week coming back. I just wonder if Ten could air it on Fridays as a permanent thing for the year and maybe have Drunk History or something similar for Mondays until the beginning of Attention.
  • I think Tuesdays for Australian drama is a smart idea.
  • Not sure about your 8:30 Wednesdays. I wonder whether ten could go down the current affairs route in that timeslot. You mentioned a great idea in The Comment Section and perhaps something fronted with Lisa Wilkenson could go on Wednesdays?
  • Come Dine with Me Australia would be a great inclusion. Would love to see them bring this back and it would eventually provide content for Eleven.

Actually, I’ve just had a light bulb and thought this would be better:

Jan-May: MKR
May-August: House Rules
August-October: Australian Spartan/Take Me Out
October-December: The Wall (Revive it)/Instant Hotel

That is the best for them IMO. Nothing else is going to work, but this is probably their best shot.