Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 8, 2016

Also interesting that Perth listeners prefer a locally produced drive show rather than the networked shows which are broadcast on 2-3 hour delay.

Here are the Top 5 stations in the 25-39 demographic:

Sydney

1. Nova & JJJ
  2. KIIS
  3. Smooth
  4. WSFM
  5. Triple M

Melbourne

1. Fox
  2. JJJ
  3. Nova
  4. Triple M
  5. KIIS

Brisbane

1. Nova
  2. JJJ
  3. hit105
  4. Triple M
  5. 97.3FM

Adelaide

1. hit107
  2. Nova
  3. JJJ
  4. Triple M
  5. Mix 102.3

Perth

1. hit92.9
  2. Nova
  3. JJJ
  4. Mix 94.5
  5. 96fm

And for the 40-54 demographic:

Sydney

1. KIIS
  2. WSFM
  3. Smooth
  4. JJJ
  5. Triple M & 2GB

Melbourne

1. Gold
  2. Triple M
  3. Smooth
  4. 3AW
  5. ABC774

Brisbane

1. 97.3FM
  2. Triple M
  3. Nova
  4. hit105
  5. 4KQ

Adelaide

1. Mix 102.3
  2. Triple M
  3. Nova
  4. FiveAA
  5. hit107

Perth

1. Mix 94.5
  2. Nova
  3. 96fm
  4. 6PR
  5. hit92.9

Notice that Sydney is the only market where an adult music station is not #1 in the 40-54s.

At least it’s a good sign for the buyer of 2CH, it has gone up and beating 2UE.

Maybe this will teach you to stop being so parochial and prove to you that just because something is local it doesn’t necessarily mean it will be more popular with locals.

3 Likes

In fact, this survey’s 11.3 share is the lowest for 2GB in over nine years (since S7/2007)

A few thoughts:

• When Alan leaves 2GB the station is going to be in trouble. Ray is not enough. 2GB is Alan in the same way 2DayFM was Kyle.
  • ARN have screwed 96FM in Perth into the ground and 2GB in Sydney is now doing the same to 2UE. In case of 2UE there is a real chance that the management of Macquarie Radio are going to turn the AM 954 frequency into a worthless licence. 2UE is fast becoming the new 2SM of Sydney radio.
  • 2DayFM have no idea what they are doing with the breakfast show. None. Three years and the station is walking further into the wilderness. Dare I say the answer could be to have a show with one host - a host who is actually entertaining.
  • Triple M Sydney’s 3.3% audience share of an evening is only saved from being embarrassing by 2DayFM’s 3.2 rating for the same shift.
  • Smooth must make a fortune. Music, music, music - cheap to run and the punters are into it!
5 Likes

Talking Lifestyle is a mess, yet they will network it everywhere. Fools. A once great station in 2UE, is brought down the ancient brass at Macquarie.

4 Likes

Which is a win for 2GB by knocking off a competitor by buying it up and running it down. And with 2CH unlikely to rise too far from its position again 2GB are laughing.

That 3.8 could well be the final nail in the coffin.

Except when they are forced to sell 2CH for almost nothing.

2 Likes

And now 2UE is worth almost nothing.

How do you turn three commercial AM radio licences into one? Give them to Macquarie Radio.

1 Like

Because they’re not bad and get a massive advantage from being on the same station as Kyle and Jackie O.

Same reason for the Mix drive show in Perth.

A poor show on a strong station will rate a lot better than a good show on a weak station.

4 Likes

A big figure for AW weekends.

Press release says mainly due to morning line-up with Darren James, but I’d say the Weekend Break with Grubby & Dee Dee has a lot to do with it.

1 Like

Personality Talk with AC music format - I’m telling you it’d be a winner on AM or FM.

1 Like

Didn’t DMG/NE try that with Vega?

Triple M tried it years ago too.

Even the original top 40 format from 2SM/4IP etc was a bit personality talk based as well during some sessions - Bob Rogers in Sydney for example.

Works for BBC Radio 2. Which is what I’m listening to on my phone at work lately.

1 Like

Yeah Vega tried it. They just didn’t do it well. Same with Classic Rock. Fortunately they do Smooth very well.

I think a proper BBC R2 clone would work though, even on AM and DAB

More of what I’m thinking.