Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 8, 2016

And BBC Radio 2, with its music and personality talk mix, is by far the most popular station in the UK and has been for a number of years now

2SM in the 1970s with the likes of Ian MacRae on Breakfast, Gibson and Moore with talk in the Mornings, a proper news service with Brian White, Steve Liebmann (and Sandy Aloisi), and Top 40 music comprehensively topped the ratings. Even with Catholic and multicultural programs on Sunday nights, and 2SMā€™s tradition of going classical when the Pope (twice in 1978) or the Archbishop of Sydney (1977) died, they still were at or near the top.

If 2SM now was in the ratings I think Laws would rate above zero but the rest of the station would be an asterisk.

2 Likes

If both 2GB AND 2UE go down in survey, then what makes the Talking Lifestyle format ā€œcommercially viableā€?

Donā€™t put all your eggs in one basket MRN.

1 Like

Advertorials probably.

They had someone from a mobile phone compsny on their show tonight.

They probably paid to be on it.

1 Like

Thatā€™s my understanding of how Talking Lifestyle broadly operates. Outside of core shows like Breakfast and George and Paul, a company can essentially pay for a segment on air to promote its services

I wonder if it would be ā€˜lifestyle talkā€™ combined with some Magic like music once 2CH is out of the picture?

3AW issued a media release on Radioinfo, but thereā€™s nothing else from MRN, probably because itā€™s hard to talk up the results of 2GB, 2UE, Magic 1278, and Magic 882.

Ray Hadley on 2GB normally gloats over the ratings results and typically beats the 9.30am release by a few minutes. Yesterday listeners had to wait until around 9.40am and certainly not much excitement in his voice. I always thought that Jones & Hadley would never reach 5% in Brisbane but have been proven wrong. One would think they would actually broadcast from Brisbane from time to time but apart from Hadley doing the occasional show in conjunction with his football calling Jones has never done so apart from some years ago when he was doing a pantomime. Reminds me that John Laws would never broadcast from Brisbane except the day he did a show from the Ecca. He flew up in the morning and returned the same day.

4BC - Sydneyā€™s No.1 Talk Station.

That was actually what they said would happen originally. I thought it had happened a couple of times not long after they started broadcasting in Brisbane, but I could be wrong. It was obviously wishful thinking with talent that didnā€™t want a apart of it, or everyone just got too lazy and canā€™t be bothered.

1 Like

Magic sound quality in Sydney is great these days Itā€™s 128k. . I think they should just have 2ue Magic. Just give smooth and ws some competition. I donā€™t mind the morning DJ ,now Bob is have a break. :grinning: . It wonā€™t happen, talking lifestyle will stay.

The original promise was that Hadley would broadcast from Brisbane ā€œonce or twice a weekā€. That didnā€™t last long. He was in Brisbane on Day 1 amid a huge fanfare but his enthusiasm for presenting from 4BC quickly seemed to fade away

Just like his Saturday Morning show. Whatever happened to that?

I think it would have gotten too much for him.

I think he needed to cut backā€¦ he was known for working 7 day weeks during the football season.

Busy hands are happy hands

My hands are nowhere near as busy as that, but they are happyā€¦ :slight_smile: Everyone is different I guess