Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 6, 2022

Can anyone prove anywhere where SEN actually wins in something?

Do we have any SEN clients in this forum?

5 Likes

Maybe this article would provide some evidence, at least for its flagship Melbourne station.

Head-to-head in the under-50 demo, 3AW narrowly leads SEN 272,201 to 267,000. However, when SEN adds in the smaller audience listening to its other brands SEN Fanatic, SENTrack (a racing brand) and even the digital feed of its Sydney SEN station, that audience grows by 6,714 to 273,714. That gives SEN a lead of 1,513 listeners under 50.

3 Likes

SEN should have just stayed in Melbourne where at least they have some traction due the sportsmad mindset down there. Delusions of grandeur have led to massive overreach by SEN as they have pushed north through Sydney and then Brisbane by steamrolling previously successful heritage AM stations and leaving nothing more than scorched earth and ashes north of the Yarra.

5 Likes

A good question but there isn’t versus 2GB in that space. Goes back to why Macquarie bought Fairfax stations to take 2GBs long time talk competitor (2UE) out of that market. ABC702 were more competitive years ago but have increasingly gone lefty (like whole ABC) so have dropped away. But all credit to Ben and i am a fanboy … to take over the 2GB breakfast seat after decades of dominance by Belford and now make it his own … hats off to you Benny.

3 Likes

Love the article TV-Expert. SEN are working overtime to turn their rating data into a success story.

So SEN is the No. 1 AM station for the under 50s in Melbourne on a cumulative reach - if you add in their three digital signals and steaming apps………

And they are taking cumes and not averages!

At least SEN now have an identified target market - under 50s who listen to AM radio. I suppose next they will target under 30 year olds who want to hire VHS video tapes. Or the over 90s who are trying to tune their analogue TVs into Channel 7.

Seriously, what marketing director targets their products at under 50s - who specifically listen to AM radio?

5 Likes

This is such a tired talking point from the 2GB/Newscorp/Sky camp mindlessly trotted out. Does anyone who says this actually watch or listen to ABC?

This is the ABC led by that famous lefty Ita Buttrose :grin: and a board stacked with Liberal Party connections.

7 Likes

For all those people saying that SEN should have stayed in Melbourne, you should realise that SEN wasn’t as popular in Melbourne as it is now. They took a long time to build up their ratings to where they are today.

1 Like

And actual lefties that some seem to bang on about complain that the ABC is far too right-wing. So in that sense isn’t the ABC is pretty balanced?

Some just can’t get off whatever the Telegraph and Australian spills on a regular basis about ABC which gets far more viewership in a week than they do in a year.

3 Likes

well yes if both sides think it’s biased that means its probably somewhere in the middle, which is what it should be

It was getting ratings into the 4s and 5s in past years but I think these days it’s settled more around the 2s

4 Likes

They were arguably more popular in the past than they are now looking at these results.

3 Likes
1 Like

That article was so weird.

“Sydney and Melbourne” and “Adelaide and Perth” headings but not a single mention of Brisbane or 97.3? Huh?

3 Likes

In Brisbane, ARN’s sights are on just having a station in that market.

And watching SENQ fail whilst checking their $12m profit.

6 Likes

I am looking forward to this. Not hard to forsee.

5 Likes

Me too.

I don’t normally wish bad things for people but I’m prepared to make an exception for this. Hope it implodes.

6 Likes

while losing the 4KQ audience to 4BH and 4BC (breakfast) and failing to increase 87.3’s audience.

3 Likes

Splitting an audience they weren’t making money off between two stations, one of which isn’t a format competitor.

This is the biggest missed opportunity, but simply moving the 4KQ format to FM would’ve left ARN in an even worse position if it pushed away 97.3’s younger audience to Nova, B105 and MMM.

4 Likes

That’s amazing clutching at straws.

NTS is back on air now, and in the last DAB survey I could find with it in - Survey 8 2021 - there’s a cume of about 8,000 for the under 50s - if even a fraction of those listeners have come back, then 3AW’s network beats the brands from SEN.

As an under 50 who occasionally listens to AM radio - amusingly the only SEN content I listen to is via their podcasts, where they strip out all the ad breaks, and have a fast enough turnaround that I can listen to Whateley’s show on the way home, given that experience I’d not want to listen via AM even if I could.

Even then, SEN pretty much only ever want to sell me power tools and sports betting.

4 Likes

Nobody was suggesting that. But moving 97.3 a bit more towards pure gold while keeping the newer music would have gained some of the younger 4KQ listeners. Broadening the playlist would have gone a long way. Do what BBC R2 does - ABBA to Harry Styles.

7 Likes