Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 6, 2022

Probably boost by COVID news coverage?

5 Likes

This is absolutely impressive in Brisbane.

The 4KQ legacy lives on by seeing two other AM stations getting a healthy boost.

It just shows the powerhouse that 4KQ was.

As for SEN, this is worse than 2SM’s demise.

A tale of how to destroy a station in a matter of months.

10 Likes

Great result for 4BH,they are playing some great tunes

7 Likes

Agree. Yet there were SEN fan boys suggesting some listeners might stick with 693 - as if!! It’s clear none have, as expected. The 0.4% would be mostly new listeners IMO. The number of 4KQ listeners who stuck with SEN would fit in a phone box.

9 Likes

They are doing a great job. I actually prefer their Sunday Morning 60s playlist to 4KQ’s show, even if it does sound less local.

3 Likes

The funny thing is, had SEN been in the business of AM music stations, they’d have a much more successful product. They should’ve kept 1116AM Melbourne as the ONLY SEN station and had a music network for other cities.

Look at where 2UE (ex-2CH) and 4BH (ex-4KQ) listeners are going.

It’ll be hilarious if any SENQ sales reps tried manipulating todays results to potential clients.

… If it were me, I wouldn’t even mention 693AM and simply focus on selling digital & podcasts …

3 Likes

Pretty clear that the 4KQ listeners stuck with Laurel, Gary & Mark and then switch over to 4BH after 9 am. 4BH should have grabbed them rather than BBQ Bob. Should have also grabbed Brent James to do the Sunday 60s and 70s and themed weekends.

7 Likes

Sad thing is we all doubt ACE could’ve afforded LG&M.

3 Likes

But 3MP and Magic in Melbourne are both around 1%.

3 Likes

Worth noting it is the first time (in a while?) that Magic has overtaken 3MP.

Well deserved.

3 Likes

Got to spend money to make money, they’d have picked up all 4KQs ratings instead of part of it.

4 Likes

Classic hits seems to be more popular than Easy music.

4 Likes

It gets more interesting when you look at the DAB+ across Syd, Mel and Per where the top three stations are ARN 80s/90s and Nova Smooth brand, except in Syd/Mel it is Smooth Relax (from zero to hero?) and in Perth it is Smooth FM(*). It shows there is a real appetite from quality music you get with the Smooth format and from the 80s/90s (i.e. last century).

(*)Perth Smooth FM with 74,000 is amazing when you consider the Perth population size, no wonder Smooth FM is the most commercial sounding station on DAB+ which is not on FM (nor AM).

4 Likes

And potentially even improving on 4KQ’s ratings, judging by how well they’re doing even without L, G & M

7 Likes

Just a few quick observations from my Sydney local perspective…

• 2UE … the little old engine that could is still building very nicely. Laser focus by ACE on the Easy Music format keeps delivering. Now within 0.1 overall of knocking off 2Day : )) Surely next survey. And great to see breakfast with my old 2UW mate Trevor Sinclair starting to lift. Go get em Trev.
  • Smooth 10.9 and no 2 overall / no 1 fm. How its possible? I guess just churn out the muzak and keep ultra sterilised sound. It is the station you hear mostly in dentists, doctors, hairdressers, funeral home waiting areas. Can’t knock success.
  • 2GB … Ben Fordham continues to outperform in breakfast but the rest of the day falls away after 12.00 and a strange drop for John Stanley at night this survey.
9 Likes

Surprised we haven’t seen more triple j bashing out amongst the Murdoch and Nine media outlets today considering a decline in all markets except Adelaide.

3 Likes

I wonder how Ben and 2GB would perform if they had any strong competition in Sydney?

2 Likes

The previous two surveys (S5 and S4) were the only two surveys 3MP had ever topped Magic.

3 Likes

easy to say when it’s not your money :stuck_out_tongue:

But while what you say can be true, it’s still not licence to just wildly overshoot the budget.

2 Likes

According to Herald Sun’s Media Street column, Triple M Melbourne won three of the four football timeslots in Melbourne in the latest survey. It won Friday night with a figure of 9.9 to 3AW 8.5, Saturday afternoon (10.3 to 8.3) and Sunday afternoon (11.6 to 4.9). Saturday night was the only time 3AW had a win, 9.3 to 8.1. SEN finished last in three of the four timeslots, including 2.6 on Saturday afternoon.

3 Likes