Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 5, 2021

While these numbers are not high, would Radio TAB in Brisbane being a similar commercial station, feel compelled to follow suit and get back into the survey?

5 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if TAB was higher actually. My guess would be over 1%. I know a few people who like the breakfast show.

Also their FM signal isn’t bad on the south side.

5 Likes

For those who live outside of the harbour city and have never listened to the 2DayFM Morning Crew, here is a highlight:

They cannot even be bothered syncing the video with the sound. I have listened to the show and can confirm - that was actually a highlight. I am still trying to work out what they are laughing at. Is is that the ferry was going around the harbour? Was it that the ferry got to the last stop? Was it that he did not want to get off the ferry? Have they been smoking weed and everything is funny?

5 Likes

“Highlight”

Just wondering Ed is in Melbourne right?

2 Likes

2 Likes

They keep making bad changes to Nova 96.9 which keep sending ratings down.

3 Likes

Usually I’d talk about the ratings of all Sydney stations. But since it’s hardly a surprise that 2GB & ABC rose to the top as the city wanted the latest virus outbreak news, I may as well jump straight into the inevitable…

Horrendous.

Surely most people here can agree that what 2DayFM needs is a total relaunch of the entire station? OK, so all music stations fell in Sydney this survey. But at least KIIS, Smooth & WSFM still got respectable figures.

Usually I’d agree, but the ratings for 2DayFM’s Morning Crew breakfast program with Hughesy, Ed & Erin are now on-par (2.4%) with the figure that Grant, Ed & Ash received during the equivalent survey of 2019. You know, that one GE&A were pulled off-air at the end of due to bad ratings! :open_mouth:

Yeah. Although the DAB+ ratings are to be taken with a grain of salt, I can believe that ARN’s offerings do pretty well in Sydney while NTS and the extra SEN stations don’t have that many listeners!

No doubt SCA opts not to have “Australia Today” listed because that station would likely also rate appallingly if it were.

I’m pretty sure Erin is the only presenter based in Sydney, with Hughesy & Ed in Melbourne.

2 Likes

They are doing it to the whole Nova network look at the results

Perth #2 Mix 94.5 now the new #1

=#1 Brisbane three way tie in first place but beaten by 4KQ in dayparts and weekends. Breakfast and drive hold up the station.

Adelaide #5

Melbourne #6

The repetitive narrow playlist continues to be the issue, and repeats of Ben & Liam at 12pm will not help them next survey.
At least their ratings are not as bad as those of SCA!!!

5 Likes

Ed is based in Melbourne. Hughesy and his family now live in Sydney.

3 Likes

Nova 93.7 in Perth still increased though (+0.4). It’s just that Mix increased more.

3 Likes

Agreed. It’s not the personalities that need to change, it’s the music.

5 Likes

That is the story across the whole Hit network including in competitive regional markets where once dominant stations are in decline.
Plus Carie & Tommy are no Hamish and Andy.

2 Likes

I still don’t understand why 2day FM is playing country music (e.g. Shania twain), in an ultra-competitive market like Sydney. It just doesn’t work. Until they get the music right and look to similar markets like New York and London, or even Auckland, then it will continue to struggle.

Whilst it’s true that people listen to the personalities, the music is also important, so changing the breakfast show won’t do a thing if the music is still all over the place.

Smooth FM, KIIS and WSFM prove that if you get the music right, listeners will follow.

4 Likes

Not so sure about Hit stations in other markets, but from a Sydney perspective I don’t think there’s much (if any) potential for growth with Hughesy, Ed & Erin on 2DayFM…at least not while there’s still four considerably stronger brekky shows on rival commercial FM stations.

Both the music AND breakfast personalities of 104.1FM need to change IMO.

While the music is undoubtedly an important factor of those three stations, at the same time you can’t deny that they’ve got strong, long running breakfast shows:

*Smooth: Bogart Torelli & Glenn Daniel (industry veterans, notable for their years at ARN Sydney before their time on Smooth) have been presenting the 95.3 breakfast show for nearly a decade.
*WSFM: 16+ years and counting for Jonesy & Amanda, longest serving brekky show in 2WS/WSFM’s near ​43 year history.
*KIIS…well I think we all know about Kyle & Jackie O, 16 years+ across two stations.

Even Fitzy & Wippa have been presenting the Nova 96.9 breakfast show for about a decade now!

3 Likes

It’s an ultra-competitive market, like Melbourne so it will be hard for them but if they improve the music they may have a chance and getting higher numbers during the workday and weekends.

That is true, but the overall sound of the stations resonates with their target audience and their listeners are loyal. Strong breakfast personalities are important but only a part of the station. KIIS has targeted their audience brilliantly as has Smooth and WSFM. I think Nova has some issues with its music but overall they are in a better position than 2Day.

2 Likes

Had to turn 3AW off when I hear Neils voice, it is a trigger point and just makes me angry - Dee Dee and to a lesser extent Tom are all so negative when it comes to the Vic Government handling of COVID…not helpful. Maybe others are feeling the same. Ross and Russel do provide lighter moments and do not seem to criticise

4 Likes

I think there’s so much emphasis on the breakfast ratings because that is the most important timeslot of the day for radio stations: The people on-air between 5.30am/6am and 9 are essentially the main voices/faces of stations as a whole. It’s no coincidence that Kyle & Jackie O are in all campaigns for KIIS 1065 or that Jonesy & Amanda are in pretty much all WSFM ads! Smooth & Nova probably focus a bit more on music with their ad campaigns though, similar to the ARN ad campaign strategies of the past.

While breakfast isn’t the be all and end all for radio stations, those which can’t make a good impression as people are waking up generally struggle during the rest of the day.

1 Like

I wouldn’t disagree with that. I just think replacing Hughesy, Ed and Erin won’t help 2Day FM, as I think it’s the music that is the problem.

2 Likes

Besides removing any Country music, what else could they do without sounding like any other Sydney FM?

2 Likes

I think they should use 90% of The Edge’s playlist, but replace the more heavy hip hop tracks with dance/pop tracks on the other end of the spectrum.
That also means they can use The Edge’s handicap of not being a fully Sydney wide station to their advantage

4 Likes