Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 5, 2018

MSR is sad :upside_down_face:

Breakfast with Ross and John first period in a long time they haven’t been on 20+ share.

Flip side Ray Hadley’s best share in 9 nearly years.

ABC not being listened to in either market anymore? Melbourne’s had major changes.

Interesting looking at MRN two powerhouses, 2GB and 3AW, neither seem to have the same outcome in a survey. As in when one increases, the other usually goes down.

I do think 3AW need a refresh, too much of the same across the week that was the same decade ago, part from Tom Elliott and one or two weekend programs.

It generally takes some time for people to get used to new programs, made harder in this case because very few people knew who Christian was before he came to Australia. Unfortunately the breakfast results seem to have dragged down the figures for the rest of the day.

I think Christian will be fine. His program is actually not too bad, it will just take a bit of time to build an audience. I think Triple M Hot Breakfast is the one that is going to continue to suffer because of their constant political discussions. Daniel Andrews even chose the Hot Breakfast to announce his new rail plan this morning. I’m happy with the sport discussion but the show is no longer funny when they’re constantly talking politics.

KIIS in Melbourne would be happy with Jase & PJ - 1.0 jump!

1 Like

On the topic of MSR and its poor performance, check out the MML press release today.

It says 2GB & 3AW are number 1 and then goes on to explain about TALKING LIFESTYLE.

Did you look at the date? That’s the release for Survey 7, 2017. Obviously Radio Today have made a mistake and uploaded the wrong one. The correct release is further down the page.

1 Like

That’s the largest share for WS since Jan/Feb 1997.

Wow, some rather interesting results for Sydney in Survey #5.

2GB remaining Sydney’s #1 station of course doesn’t come as a surprise, but what is rather interesting is the rise of WSFM in the ratings for most of this year and in particular, Jonesy & Amanda overtaking Kyle & Jackie O to become Sydney’s new #1 FM breakfast show! I’d imagine that we’ll probably be seeing Jonesy & Amanda celebrating with the champagne on Sydney’s 6pm TV news bulletins tonight!

Although despite the results for WSFM I don’t think ARN will be particularly happy that KIIS is now getting less listeners than Smooth 95.3, ABC Radio Sydney 702 and even Nova 96.9! :open_mouth:

Quite a poor survey for 2DayFM (those breakfast figures are quite alarming) and especially Macquarie Sports Radio. It’s bad enough they’re getting less listeners than Sky Sports Radio but for MRN to decrease to 0.6% while Sky Sports Radio actually gets a slight ratings increase? Absolutely pathetic! Macquarie Sports Radio surely has to be written off as a failure at the end of the football season?

So basically, WSFM is currently getting some of their highest ever ratings as an ARN-owned and operated station? Well I think the Wesgo > ARN ownership change happened around 1996/97 anyway, but not really sure about timing. Probably a question better asked for the Radio History thread! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There’s an extra 2 stations in the market now too, so lower shares are the norm - which makes beating their 1997 figure all the more impressive.

4 Likes

Less repetition has helped but maybe a wider variety of both fresh and greatest hits would be even better.

In other big news in Sydney:

From SMH
The ratings’ other big winner was Nova 96.9’s Kate, Tim and Marty, who – with the survey’s biggest jump of 2.5 per cent – earned a 12.2 per cent share of the afternoon drive slot, swiping the top spot from 2GB’s Ben Fordham.

2 Likes

Congratulations Fifi Fev and Byron, now Australia’s most listened to Breakfast show. Well Done guys!!!

1 Like

Completely agree with that.

1 Like

KTM not doing so well in Melbourne. 5th place there.

1 Like

The days of mix’s dominance in Perth seem to be over, first time they’ve lost 2 surveys in a row in a couple decades.

One wonders if they will continue branding independently of Triple M if they don’t get back to #1 in the near future, one of the last holdouts that isn’t branded in line with the network.

3 Likes

Yeah I can’t see that helping…at all.

2 Likes

Radio ratings coverage from Sydney’s 6pm news bulletins.

Surprisingly both networks only did an RVO with for the results (I would’ve thought a new #1 FM breakfast show would be worth doing a full report over), but I might as well still post the clips for what they’re worth…

Sharp observers probably noticed that some of Nine’s footage is likely to be at least five years old, with the old (circa 2004-14) WSFM logo on the screen behind Jonesy & Amanda and former Nine News Sydney Sports presenter Ken Sutcliffe being in the studio with Ray Hadley!

How can Smallzy still be #1 Nights when his show isn’t even number 1 in any capital city???

They performed some surgery on the ratings figures, the same as Macquarie thinks MSR is a success.

2 Likes

According to Nine, hits105 is Brisbane’s most listened to FM station - in Brisbane that means number one station. Also reported that 4KQ is the number one AM station - interesting take.

1 Like

Nova 106.9 Media Release:

“Brisbane’s most listened to radio station”.