Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 5, 2016

I think Perth is stuck in 1996, with Michael Tunn and the Request Fest adorning the station ;).

Interesting that “Other” tops the ratings- if you like- in Brisbane. I’m assuming a lot of folk are Rebelling against the main streamers, cruising by the River and enjoying the sea Breeze.

Adding Smooth in the mix would make your FM dial even more like your football team- a bit too successful!

I’m happy to see that Triple M in Brisbane have improved ,they are sounding great these days but River 94.9 are better.i get frustrated when I can’t get a good signal from them

Bianca68 - I love your memo idea and I am stealing it!

Memo to 96FM and 101.1KIIS FM:
You do not have Kyle. KIIS and Kyle go hand in hand. Go back to what you were doing before you tanked.

Memo to 2DayFM:
You no longer have Kyle. You are stuck below 4%. It’s time to give up on the CHR format. Notice that smooth is sounding like you did in the 80s. And smooth is killing it.

Memo to 4BC:
Alan and Ray only rate with Sydney’s style of angry white adults. You have peaked at less than 5%.

Memo to Magic882:
Time to switch the transmitter off and get someone from 4KQ or Cruise to show you how to run an AM music station. Try again in 2017. ’

Memo to 2UE:
Check out the ratings at breakfast. John and Garry are gaining traction. Don’t touch John or Garry. I am begging you.

Memo to smooth:
Who would have thought that music and jingles combined with more music and jingles would work so well? Your number 1 in Drive suggests that Sydney loves music, jingles and then more music.

4 Likes

And all significantly more expensive. Smooth is simultaneously the cheapest to run, and highest rating FM in Sydney, and is closing in Melbourne.

Insane.

I suggest it cements my theory that radio is the medium of the old. Young people don’t listen to radio (at least as much) anymore.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you see a Nova or 2DAY move to a cheap ‘more music’ breakfast show in the not too distant future. Reality is, if you can pull at least a 4% share in breakfast (and you might just do given it would be a point of difference in the ‘big’ CHRs if nothin else) you’re better off because your show overheads drop by hundreds of thousands.

Personally, I think 2DAY would be better off building a show around Rove only, with a zoo-ish format (regular guests and producers that join in), and have it as a vibey, friendly show that plays lots of music. I’d also ditch the old school because it’s not helping (IMO).
I know it’s so cemented across the hit/today/sea/star network that it’s unlikely to change for a while, but I think you’d have better luck running a Hot AC/CHR.

IMO, if you want to listen to old songs you’ve got plenty of options. Young people, if they’re listening at all, want to listen to the latest/‘freshest’ songs.

1 Like

It’s not too cemented though. Hits and old school is only the daytime strategy so it would be easy to go different within the Hot AC/CHR space between 6am and 4pm.
All the major networked content is pretty much just CHR.

I do agreed that Old School is getting “old”. It was cool to begin with but its no longer a cool novelty to hear the same old music all the time.
RnB Fridays is also getting old- it’s been going for so long now that they’re having to branch out into more obscure RnB to keep variety week to week.

The “Hits and Old School” format is one that would probably work very well on SCA stations in regional areas, where there’s little to no competition.

In major metropolitan markets? I can see the appeal in having a weekly show or two full of “Old School” music (which knowing SCA Hit Network radio, would probably include “flashbacks” from as recently as Late 2013/Early 2014 and callers who remember these tracks being played in the clubs “back in the day”! :stuck_out_tongue: ) but not so sure about having it as part of the regular format.

1 Like

IMO, old school at such frequency that 2DAY tend to play (particularly RnB Fridays) is the opposite of what anyone wants

Even Nova’s throwbacks are annoying and they’re not even as old, generally, as 2DAY.

The 10-20 year olds don’t know most of the songs (and will turn off when they hear something ‘old’) and anyone older than that only feels old when they hear it.

I’m in my 20s and whilst it’s kinda nostalgic every now and then to think ‘oh remember this song’, I generally don’t want to listen to the whole song, and certainly don’t want to listen to heaps of them across the day.

I don’t think hits n old school is a format with longevity, and there’s nothing in survey numbers to suggest it’s a hit (although we all know it’s the shows not the music that wins surveys).

Personally I think people would rather hear Kelly Clarkson or Train than TLC or Salt n Peppa… But maybe that’s just me

1 Like

It’s actually not a bad idea for a weekend night show - instead of running another dance show like the other CHRs, do a DJ mix show full of throwbacks and old Skool songs.

1 Like

Did anyone notice that WSFM is No.2 commercial FM for 18 - 24 year olds in Sydney?

Purely unexpected.

1 Like

That 9.0 is KQ’s largest share since S6/2006

1 Like

I agree with this, and it’s what most of us suggested when Rove was named as the host. A zoo format with regular comic contributors and a heavy hit music feel would lift that breakfast shift.

4kq should change to FM,then their ratings would go up more ,’

1 Like

If 4KQ converted to FM, knowing ARN it would probably become “Gold North” or “WSFM North” programing and music wise. Do you guys in Brisbane really want that? :confused:

No I don’t think we do,we can also listen to 4kq on digital radio which has much better sound than AM and just as good as FM

1 Like

Not to mention that 4KQ can’t change to FM anyway since there are no FM licences available and there’s next to no spare spectrum in South East Queensland to issue one.

3 Likes

I’m sure they could squeeze another FM in Brisbane if they really tried. They could move 4EB 98.1 back to AM for a start. Absolutely preposterous that a community TALK station occupies scarce and valuable FM spectrum in a capital city.

1 Like

Yes I agree

1 Like

A wasted frequency is 95.7 News radio on the Gold Coast which they don’t really need because they can hear News radio from the Northern Rivers ( I can hear it loud and clear in Logan) So shut down 95.7 and give it to 4KQ

2 Likes

Very true. Especially given ratings of 1 to 2% for Newsradio it’s a complete joke to waste FM frequency on it in metro or near metro areas.
Of course they wouldn’t just give it to 4KQ but auction it off with 4KQ or Smooth the likely bidders.
An adult format on FM and some $$ for the govt surely is a win win.

1 Like

Even put News Radio for the Gold Coast on the old 4SS frequency (828am).
I think the NIMBYs put a stop to that happening on the Sunshine Coast, probably less chance of that happening on the glitter strip, if they can find a suitable block of land.

1 Like