Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 5, 2016

Just out of curiosity, and because I’m not that technical, do the highrises along the Gold Coast cause issues with AM reception?

AM reception wouldn’t be great in the high rises, but it would be fine in the suburbs and on the road, which is where the majority of listeners would be.

All those retired pensioners sitting in their high rises could be wanting to hear NewsRadio :smiley:

Oh yes, when I retire, I’m gonna move to the Gold Coast and listen to News Radio!

Lol!

Seriously, fair point :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not judging by the ratings :slight_smile:
And interestingly the demographics on the GC have really shifted with median age now 37 compared to Sydney and Melbourne 36, Brisbane 35. Adelaide and Hobart are the oldest both around 38 and 39 respectively.
Anyway News radio booms into GC on FM from northern NSW :slight_smile:

Life goals :beach_umbrella::older_man::radio:

Same thing in Canberra where News Radio got moved from AM to 103.9 MHz. This affectively stops Canberra from getting a third Comnercial Fm station.
I beleive this is a complete waste of spectrum considering the few people that listen to News Radio.

News Radio needs to be moved back to AM in Canberra and the Fm 103.9 licence offered to 2CA to convert to Fm, or auctioned off to let a new player such as Nova Entertainment to enter the market.
Canberra Fm would love News Radio to stay where they are as it protects them from any new competition.

3 Likes

Or give SBS and 1CMS an ultimatum to get their Tuggeranong services on air (on 103.1 and 107.9) respectively OR those frequencies would be made available to a 3rd commercial FM (107.9 from Black Mt, 103.1 from Tuggeranong, though SKY Sports Radio at Yass and possibly 2WG Tumut would need to change frequencies).

I think 103.1 is on air as I picked something up on that frequency in Canberra last weekend about the same strength as the rebroadcasts from Tuggers, could be wrong.