Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 5, 2016

That 9.0 is KQ’s largest share since S6/2006

1 Like

I agree with this, and it’s what most of us suggested when Rove was named as the host. A zoo format with regular comic contributors and a heavy hit music feel would lift that breakfast shift.

4kq should change to FM,then their ratings would go up more ,’

1 Like

If 4KQ converted to FM, knowing ARN it would probably become “Gold North” or “WSFM North” programing and music wise. Do you guys in Brisbane really want that? :confused:

No I don’t think we do,we can also listen to 4kq on digital radio which has much better sound than AM and just as good as FM

1 Like

Not to mention that 4KQ can’t change to FM anyway since there are no FM licences available and there’s next to no spare spectrum in South East Queensland to issue one.

3 Likes

I’m sure they could squeeze another FM in Brisbane if they really tried. They could move 4EB 98.1 back to AM for a start. Absolutely preposterous that a community TALK station occupies scarce and valuable FM spectrum in a capital city.

1 Like

Yes I agree

1 Like

A wasted frequency is 95.7 News radio on the Gold Coast which they don’t really need because they can hear News radio from the Northern Rivers ( I can hear it loud and clear in Logan) So shut down 95.7 and give it to 4KQ

2 Likes

Very true. Especially given ratings of 1 to 2% for Newsradio it’s a complete joke to waste FM frequency on it in metro or near metro areas.
Of course they wouldn’t just give it to 4KQ but auction it off with 4KQ or Smooth the likely bidders.
An adult format on FM and some $$ for the govt surely is a win win.

1 Like

Even put News Radio for the Gold Coast on the old 4SS frequency (828am).
I think the NIMBYs put a stop to that happening on the Sunshine Coast, probably less chance of that happening on the glitter strip, if they can find a suitable block of land.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, and because I’m not that technical, do the highrises along the Gold Coast cause issues with AM reception?

AM reception wouldn’t be great in the high rises, but it would be fine in the suburbs and on the road, which is where the majority of listeners would be.

All those retired pensioners sitting in their high rises could be wanting to hear NewsRadio :smiley:

Oh yes, when I retire, I’m gonna move to the Gold Coast and listen to News Radio!

Lol!

Seriously, fair point :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not judging by the ratings :slight_smile:
And interestingly the demographics on the GC have really shifted with median age now 37 compared to Sydney and Melbourne 36, Brisbane 35. Adelaide and Hobart are the oldest both around 38 and 39 respectively.
Anyway News radio booms into GC on FM from northern NSW :slight_smile:

Life goals :beach_umbrella::older_man::radio:

Same thing in Canberra where News Radio got moved from AM to 103.9 MHz. This affectively stops Canberra from getting a third Comnercial Fm station.
I beleive this is a complete waste of spectrum considering the few people that listen to News Radio.

News Radio needs to be moved back to AM in Canberra and the Fm 103.9 licence offered to 2CA to convert to Fm, or auctioned off to let a new player such as Nova Entertainment to enter the market.
Canberra Fm would love News Radio to stay where they are as it protects them from any new competition.

3 Likes

Or give SBS and 1CMS an ultimatum to get their Tuggeranong services on air (on 103.1 and 107.9) respectively OR those frequencies would be made available to a 3rd commercial FM (107.9 from Black Mt, 103.1 from Tuggeranong, though SKY Sports Radio at Yass and possibly 2WG Tumut would need to change frequencies).

I think 103.1 is on air as I picked something up on that frequency in Canberra last weekend about the same strength as the rebroadcasts from Tuggers, could be wrong.