Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 4, 2021

I am more impressed that Triple M on a frequency of 105.1 managed to rate 9.9%…they’d love that at 3MMM.

6 Likes

I’ve only regularly listened to George Moore’s weekend show on the station and I’ve dipped in and out of the afternoon shows over the years when I’ve wanted a hit of news. My mother has the station on most of the day so it’s hard to avoid when I visit her. Never could stand Jones or Hadley but at least Jones had opinions and could argue his points well. Hadley gets worse with age and has always been a loud mouth oaf who talks over people that disagree with him and relies too heavily on regurgitating shit from newspapers. At least people know that he has the power to make change happen when slimy politicians try to pull a fast one.

Listeners knew to expect strong opinions and they don’t get that anymore with Fordham at Breakfast, Deb Knight’s lightweight, homespun knitting circle and Wilson’s fence sitting snoozefest. The station is now crammed with too many repetitive, annoying ads in stupid places, like before the news, that ruin the flow of the shows. Constant reference to Nine product also irritates the audience who turn to radio to get away from the drivel on their TV station. They also don’t take as many talk back callers as they once did. They should’ve realised they were in trouble when Stephanie stopped calling. They need to get back to engaging with their core audience instead of worrying about upsetting activist groups.

I really miss George Moore. I didn’t always agree with some of his more strident views but he is a knowledgeable and professional broadcaster who produced a highly entertaining program. He was great when he filled in for Knight and took the conversation away from favourite ice creams and holiday spots. He outshines Knight with topical, opinionated talk and interesting guests. I guess that’s the reason they haven’t used him lately.

The station spent years grooming talent who could hold the audience in the absence of the stars but Nine install untested TV talent in slots they’ve dominated for years. I predict the ratings slide will continue.

9 Likes

Wow Mix 94.5 and 96fm are neck in neck. Well after the reshuffle this is not surprising that Mix has been relegated to almost equal No. 2. And the winner is unsurprisingly Nova, the only station with a clear demographic target and music format. But since most of these ratings are to do with the DJ “crew” what is the success story with Nova Perth?

3 Likes

Same breakfast team for over a decade when every other perth station has chopped and changed relatively consistently.

3 Likes

The ratings success of Kyle and Jackie O saw Kyle Sandilands making it to the front page of Wednesday’s edition of The Australian.

3 Likes

Well over a decade! Nat Locke has been with Nova Perth from the start (November 2002) and Nathan joined the show in early 2003. So that’s two of the three team members who have been there for 18+ years. That’s very rare nowadays.

6 Likes

Yeah @NewsWeary, I really miss George a lot. Like you I don’t always agree with him but he is a good operator. He probably enjoy his bushwalking these days. He never followed a script from management, more old school. I don’t really listen to 2GB these days at all. George & Paul was the only show I listen to on 2GB/2UE. John Stanley is also pretty good but the night show is a bit like talking lifestyle. I find it a bit boring when I listen. Steven Price is better now, as I think he controls the agenda of his program better with his role now on “Triple M” and “Australia today”. Still miss George & Paul. It would of been great if they got a slot on Australia today. Not sure if Triple M Sydney would want to go news talk at all like the regional station.

2 Likes

How long do we have to wait for FM Talk in the capital cities?

1 Like

It seems to limited to sport only for now and “morning crew” style shows for breakfast.

Triple M do it overnight and the Spoonman did it also back in the day. Pillow Talk on 2Day Fm back in the day. So elements are there but it has never been full blown talk. I guess it is an “expensive” format (even if it is only a perception) perhaps they don’t want to take a risk. Let us face if Alan Jones was to pop up on Triple M Sydney people would listen.

2 Likes

He pops up on Triple M Sydney Breakfast most Friday Mornings. One of the young male producers takes him up through the tradesman’s entrance to talk to Lawrence Mooney. He saunters into the studio in his pastel coloured suits to his “Gloria” theme music to make time calls, complain about “the f-ing dust in the studio” and attack Fordo and his enemies on the left. It’s one of the funniest segments of the week and the show’s anchor, Chris Page, often outshines Mooney with his impersonations.

5 Likes

Vega 95.3 was an attempt. But it was sort of ABC style news talk on commercial radio so it didn’t work. And it was boring.

3 Likes

yeah I forgot about that! It was forgettable. I think 40 years of music wasn’t too bad. Now 40 years of music would be from the 80s! It was from the mid 60s :slight_smile: .

3 Likes

Regarding 2Day, to quote a comment made by John Print on Radio Today;

“Honestly, the most alarming thing in this survey is the huge drop in cume across many stations. Competition is tight and the pool is shrinking !”

I think therein lies the problem the pool is shrinking, less people are listening to radio due to increased competition (podcasts, music streaming etc.) so of course only the strongest will survive. Maybe its time for SCA to start tinhking about turning 2Day into a niche station, it may not attract the huge ratings they seek but at least its a targeted market for advertisers. May I suggest dance music or R&B/ Urban (which they already have a name in with the R&B Friday’s CDs and tours).

7 Likes

I have no idea why Nine Radio decided that airing an ad right before the news and right after the weather before a show starts/resumes would be a good idea. The entire TOTH is so disjointed now it’s not funny

5 Likes

The Angry Ant (the nickname given to him by John Laws) is still upset with 2GB.

Of course the SCA station Price appears on wasn’t included in the ratings, probably because if it were the results would have been embarrassing.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised to see “Australia Today” pop up in the Digital Ratings during Survey #5, probably with results comparable to those of NTS and SENTrack.

5 Likes

Probably out-rates RSN Extra

8 Likes

Sure but ‘Australia Today’ is primarily a program for the Listnr app - the main metric is the numbers it gets through there rather than on digital radio

2 Likes

Late to this but spots close to news sell pretty high around the world. It’s a switch-on point for listeners, who will either turn it up near the top of the hour or turn it on.

Disjointed TOTH versus extra revenue.

There was one station in NZ who had a full 2:30 break before the news sting, headlines, another 30” ad (charged astronomically high), the bulletin, ads, sport, weather. But that TOTH format got gassed a few years back.

2 Likes

A new ratings survey period must be about to commence.

As tonight I’ve seen ads for Smooth, WSFM and 2DayFM on various Sydney channels.

3 Likes