Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 4, 2021

DAB+ ratings: http://www.radioalive.com.au/RA/media/General/Documents/Surveys%20for%20DAB/GfK_DAB-Only-Summary-Report-National_S4-2021.pdf?ext=.pdf

5 Likes

In Sydney, 2GB remains at #1 with 11.8%, but KIIS’s Kyle & Jackie O takes the #1 spot in breakfast with 15.5%, pushing Ben Fordham to 2nd place with 13.3%. As a result, KIIS is #2 overall with 10.6%, followed by Smooth with 10%, ABC Sydney with 9.6%, WS with 8.3%, Nova with 6.7%, JJJ with 6.3% & 2MMM with 5%. 2Day fell below ABC Classic with 3.3%, with 2UE not far behind at 3%. SEN remained fairly steady at 0.6%.

In Melbourne, 3AW remains at #1 with 15.5%, followed by ABC Melbourne with 11.1%, Gold 104.3 with 10.4%, Smooth with 7.8%, Fox with 7%, Nova with 6.7% & KIIS with 5.5%. JJJ outrated 3MMM, 4.9% to 4.7%. Of the AM music stations, Magic rose 0.3 to 1.3%, whilst 3MP rose 0.1 to 1%.

In Brisbane, Nova remains on top with 10.8%, followed by 97.3FM with 10.2%, 4MMM with 9.9%, 4KQ with 9.3%, B105 with 9.2% & ABC Brisbane with 8.2%.

In Adelaide, Mix 102.3 remains on top with 13.2%, followed closely by FiveAA with 12.3%, Cruise with 10.6%, Nova with 10.4%, ABC Adelaide with 9.8%, 5MMM with 9.2% & SAFM with 7.9%.

And in Perth, Nova remains on top with 12.7%, followed by Mix 94.5 with 11.7%, 96fm with 11.5%, 6PR with 9.1%, JJJ with 8.8% & ABC Perth with 8.2%. Triple M fell 0.8% to 7.1%, whilst 6iX rose 1.9% to 6.1%.

6 Likes

KIIS in Sydney:
No.1 with 18 - 24 year olds
No.1 with 25 - 39 year olds
No.1 with 40 - 54 year olds

One of Sydney’s all time iconic music stations with a broad appeal across the demographics. Even in a much more crowded market this station has managed to achieve what few stations have done on the past.

The power of Kyle and Jackie O and the strength of a damn good music log.

Wow.

9 Likes

Gold’s Christian O’Connell was once again Melbourne’s No.1 FM breakfast show. Fox, KIIS (the final survey to feature Polly “PJ” Harding) and Triple M all posted drops at breakfast but Smooth and Gold were both up.

3AW was largely unchanged from the last survey.

4 Likes

Terrible results for SAFM, almost in a worse position to when they were Hit107, it just isn’t resonating with Adelaide.

2 Likes

Looking at the Sydney ratings in more detail, the “Other Stations” ratings on among the 40-54s appear to be at an all-time high figure of 22.6%! :open_mouth:

Elsewhere, 2UE outrated Smooth in the 65+, scoring 8.3% in that demo, and ranked 3rd behind 2GB & ABC Sydney.

4 Likes

Marty Sheargold isn’t doing too great, despite a fairly large advertising campaign. I wouldn’t write it off yet, because Christian O’Connell started slow (and is now #1 FM breakfast). I hope ratings increase as I think that it is one of the better breakfast shows in Melbourne.

In fact, Triple M Melbourne as a whole isn’t performing too well.

4 Likes

I loved 2UW.

5 Likes

Melbourne:

No change for Ross and Russel on 3AW Breakfast, remaining at 20.1 points. Will be interesting to see if there’s any change in the next survey with a second producer having just left the program.

Neil Mitchell on 3AW has an unchanged share in Mornings, though Virginia Trioli on ABC has slightly closed the gap.

Gold FM remains on top in the afternoons, with Dee Dee on 3AW a close second, just 1.6 points behind.

Tom Elliott on 3AW Drive may have some cause for concern with Gold FM now only 1.9 points behind.

Denis Walter on 3AW Nights continues to lead in the Evening slot, posting a 0.9 point increase from the previous survey.

In regards to demographics, 3AW records an unusually high increase of 3.9 points in People 10-17, and Nova 100 will be disappointed to lose 4.2 points in People 25-39.

Sydney:

Only going to bother writing about 2DAY FM’s Morning Crew - no change for Hughesy, Ed and Erin remaining at 3.3 points.

5 Likes

SEN Track Digital Sydney gets a * in all sessions and demos. I knew the previous ratings that indicated a few people were listening was an anomaly.

3 Likes

No surprise with 9GB, where do the listeners go? They won’t move to ABC, so it looks like K&J are the next best option.

1 Like

I think now is the time for 2day fm to give up.
The morning Crew (Hughesy, Ed, and Erin) are flat at 3.3 which is probably around the stations average rusted on listener base 2-3%
Basically each recent installment of the breakfast show has ended up rating in this range before being axed.

2day fm best option IMO would be to rebrand to Hit 104 which would allow the following synergies to occur. They can then pipe in the regional Hit breakfast show from the Central Coast which will most likely rate around 3% too.
In return they are not paying for an expensive show that does not rate, salaries for talent and producers related to this show.

The rebrand to Hit may create a bit of interest.

Basically 2day and Nova cannot compete with KIIS while KIIS has Kyle and Jackie O doing breakfast, and full credit to them beating Ben Fordham to becoming Sydney’s #1 breakfast show.

4 Likes

But they tried moving towards that and it failed miserably.

2 Likes

Mornings, afternoons, nights and weekends…2UE is out rating 2DayFM

2Day need to do something different to what has been happening over the last six years. They’ve had seven different breakfast teams, three different logos and over ten significant tweaks to the music.

But it always sounds the same. Forced laughs at breakfast and music that can’t work out if it’s classic hits, dance hits, hot hits, love songs, 90s hits or R’n’B (because it’s a certain day of the week).

If KIIS were a person they’d be outgoing and fun. JJJ would would be edgy and probably vegan. ABC 702 would be the friend you go to for advice and they’d live in a nice house. WSFM would be a a good laugh and eat meat and three veg for dinner. Smooth would be a functioning alcoholic. 2GB would be the neighbourhood gossip. Triple M would be the person drinking beer in an airport bar at 7am.

2DayFM would be annoying and the person you don’t want to sit next to at the BBQ. Sure they are a nice person. But who likes nice?

14 Likes

Anecdotal evidence suggests some have gone to 2SM. I’d be surprised if they haven’t experienced a small jump in listeners since Nine dismantled the winning formula at 2GB. There’s no way of knowing for sure, of course.

5 Likes

I wonder if anyone who works at any of the Sydney stations has access to the data that would show what 2SM’s ratings are?

1 Like

I was thinking along the same line too, I could not see the old 2GB right wing listener becoming a KIIS and K&J listener. They probably don’t know how to switch their radio to fm!!! More likely to go to 2SM or switch off their radio and watch Sky News instead.

5 Likes

Was a good survey for 6iX. I can’t remember the last time I saw them pull a 7. Imagine what they’ll rate if they move to FM.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Has this ever happened before?

What an abysmal failure for 2Day. Perhaps Hughesy should concentrate on his failing show, not ranting about ‘Dictator Dan’ and ‘gyms can’t spread COVID-19’ on Twitter.

8 Likes