Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 4, 2017

Yeah I think it’s one of those inexplicable dips that 4KQ has occasionally, and usually bounces back up in the next survey.

1 Like

Yes I agree. I think if they “smoothified” 97.3 even just slightly they’d be a clear No. 1.
That’s also what they need to do with Mix 94.5 in Perth IMO to stop its gradual slide.

Not really too much to note from thus survey except the disaster that is Talking Lifestyle. Not sure what the answer is for the Sydney and Melbourne stations, but surely it’s obvious that 882 in Brisbane should return to easy listening, given no Smooth FM in Brisbane. And by that I don’t mean a return to Magic 882 because that was too close to 4KQ which completely outclassed them. I mean a return to Easy 882/4BH when they actually rated well. Just copy the damn Smooth FM playlist! Before it’s too late and DAB starts to really take hold - if it hasn’t already. Still beats me why NE don’t actually promote Smooth Digital in Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth.

The only other notable thing is Nova overtaking Mix in Perth. SCA are in the doldrums a bit with their FM stations in most markets. Ironically their DAB stations are now awesome!

1 Like

I’m can see thinks slowly changing at mix94.5 that in 2018 tripleM perth is coming IMO

Hamish and Andy are a disaster. What a waste of money. Sydney numbers are terrible. KTM number 1 everywhere but Melbourne.

1 Like

I also believe that if 2SM participated in the ratings they would take a couple of percentage points from 2GB, particularly John Laws against Ray Hadley.

2 Likes

That’s not how it works. Figures for 2GB would remain the same. 2SM currently falls into the “other” category. You’ll notice if you add up all the numbers that they don’t make up 100. The difference is made up of others stations such as 2SM, community and any other station not listed such as those from outside the licence area.

3 Likes

If the regional radio station broadcasting in a major metropolitan market that is 2SM participated in the ratings, I really don’t think they’d get numbers all that much higher than the current figures for Talking Lifestyle 954.

2 Likes

The host of Second Career on Talking Lifestyle is claiming a ratings success.

[quote]https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/19883945_10209598880073364_3077168861113609038_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=ce1e597ce425684b3d41d3ab1d432fbf&oe=59FD7756
https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/19894778_10209598880473374_8324484945976797617_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=8d67f1ddd26bb389551f31a80272dec2&oe=59CD3A54[/quote]

also thinks it airs in “the west”? Does he mean Western Sydney?

The 4 performers i.e. John, Garry, George & Paul might as well go to 2SM with their shows. How much longer will Grant Goldman be working over there anyway, same could be said for Laws over there too?

In the last survey of 2015 2GB was rating 12.8%. 2UE was on a remotely respectable 4.6% (the 2UE newsroom had been shut down six months earlier).

At this stage there was no sign of anyone talking lifestyle.

Fast forward 18 months and Talking Lifestyle rates a 2.9% and 2GB is now on a lower 11.9%.

2GB removed a competitor in 2UE.The end result is that the 2UE licence is now losing value and 2GB now experiences lower overall ratings than it did when 2UE offered a news-talk option.

I would say that the acquisition of 2UE by 2GB has been a lose-lose situation.

And as for Talking Lifestyle in Melbourne and Brisbane? It makes MTR and vega look like raving successes. 3XY and Stereo 10 were shut down in those cities without ever plunging to a 0.6 and 1.2 rating.

8 Likes

Some are suggesting that they consider it as an investment for their own future rather than a loss. They could hand their worthless licence back and feel like they’ve won the war.

1 Like

Surely it’s best to have two licences that pull in the ratings than to have only one.

And stop calling my Shirley.

I remember a few years ago when 2UE tried to take on 2GB with David Oldfield and Jason Morrison. It failed. Partly as 2UE tried to be the same as 2GB - a right wing talk fest.

I wish 2UE would try to be what it was in the 80s to early 2000s - an entertainment and news station. Laws, Malcolm T Elliot, Ita Buttrose, Ian Parry-Okeden and John Pearce give Sydney a mix of opinions and a top notch news service. 2GB has the right wing angry station market cornered. 2UE should try to corner the market for Sydney-siders who want an alternative to the Abbott love fest. At the moment there is only 702 and it is more current affairs than entertainment.

Talking Lifestyle 954 is more like WTF 954.

4 Likes

i don’t even know your Shirley. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

but would that work 20 years later?

For better or worse, a revival of the “Late '80s to Early 2000s” style 2UE is highly unlikely to happen in the current media landscape. The money and resources to make such a station a success probably isn’t there anymore.

True. I think we are witnessing the end of the AM 954 frequency in Sydney. A vibrant 2UE is now a memory. I think that Talking Lifestyle may also be a memory soon.

Talking Lifestyle in Melbourne is already almost a *.

1 Like

The new owners of 2CH might be interested in the Melbourne licence?

The radio stations are supposed to provide a service. If the ratings show they have no listeners, then could ACMA ask Macquarie why they are putting out programs no one wants to listen too?

1 Like

Problem is, Smooth has stolen all the AM music listeners now, look at their 55+ demos, it’s massive. I’m 27 and listen a lot to Smooth, it works all the demos fairly well and is an engaging listen on weekdays (weekends, not so much).

1 Like

Melbourne’s SEN had a shocker of the survey with drops across every timeslot, especially breakfast.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/radio-station-sen-reeling-after-breakfast-show-slumps-dramatically-in-latest-ratings/news-story/853d0e955fff8fc2ec0f136a6871083c