Metro Radio Ratings - Survey 3, 2023

5 Likes

Apparently you can get away with fat-shaming if youā€™re Kyle Sandilands, who certainly isnā€™t in a place to talk about fat himself :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Yes and not just in Melbourne. ABC Brisbane is struggling too with a 5 in front. Donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen it that low. Also JJJ is way below what it used to be and Double J is flatlining on DAB. How long before ABC actually do something meaningful to address their slide? They are good at doing ā€œreviewsā€ and making grand statements, but they never seem to make any fundamental changes. They just tinker around the edges. They need to really look at their fundamental radio offerings and also their perceived and real biases. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. They could really learn from the BBC.

2 Likes

Filth.

More than happy to continue with Global Player and Capital and Heart in the car.

3 Likes

Same, I listen to KJO, but other times it is Capital Dance on Global or BBC R1 on Sounds.
The music on Australian Hot AC / CHR is boring and repetitive.

I am actually surprised Novaā€™s ratings havenā€™t plummeted., everything is so poorly executed.

5 Likes

The new system seems interesting,

The mismatch between the Total DAB figure for DAB and Steaming suggests a lot of people stream their DAB station of choice when away from a DAB radio, but streaming only listeners to DAB stations seems to be low. That makes sense to me, if you listen on DAB you likely have a favourite station from there, while if you are native to streaming youā€™re not starting limited to those DAB choices so will explore further.

The ratings for streaming Nine Radio/ABC Local being so high also makes sense - AM stations are some of the first I can imagine people shifting to streaming for, Cruise also stands out in Adelaide on this metric. Not enough to save SEN though.

Average Qtr Hour Audience numbers are amazing - I canā€™t believe theyā€™d let them be published with how bad they make some stations look. I donā€™t think itā€™s particularly useful either - the normal shift breakdowns have some meaning, while the average is over such a big time window that you donā€™t really learn anything.

More generally, rare win for Triple M in Adelaide - is that anything they are doing format wise, or did all the ACs split too evenly and they Bradburied it?

Magic and 3MP not moving much yet, I wonder how long they persist before trying something new? Theyā€™d be within their rights to entirely focus on Brisbane and Sydney though.

4 Likes

SCA METRO SURVEY 3 RESULTS,

SCA Chief Content Officer Dave Cameron comments on the Metro Survey 3 radio ratings results.

"Another ratings day with more records broken for SCA, as both Triple M Adelaide and B105 Brisbane deliver outright No.1s in their respective cities, driven by record breaking best-ever results for both stationā€™s breakfast shows, Roo, Ditts and Loz and Stav, Abby and Matt.

"Both Triple M Brisbane and Mix 94.5 Perth delivered the biggest breakfast share increases in those markets, and The Fox continues to have the highest number of listeners in Melbourne with a weekly audience cume now of more than 1.3 million.

"Overall SCA continues to win the critical 25-54 All People commercial demographic nationally, with the Hit Network winning women 25-54 and Triple M winning men 25-54.

ā€œOn a milestone day for the industry where the release of streaming audience data becomes available, SCAā€™s intense focus on developing and scaling up Australiaā€™s only owned and operated digital audio platform LiSTNR now becomes a critical game changer as audience behaviour shifts at pace towards a streaming and on-demand world.ā€

METRO SURVEY 3 HIGHLIGHTS

SCA

• Delivering a total radio audience of 6.112m in metro, 8.821+m nationally
  • #1 People 25-54, DAB+ reaches 1.251M+ listeners
  • 1.9m+ monthly listeners via live radio streaming and LiSTNR music stations
  • The LiSTNR podcast network reaches more than 7.26M monthly listeners

HIT NETWORK METRO

• The #1 Network P25-54 and W25-54 (inc.DAB+)
  • The HIT Network nationally reaches 4.239m listeners every week (inc.DAB+)

B105

• #1 Share P10+ (inc. DAB+)
  • #1 Share P25-54 (inc. DAB+)
  • #1 Share Breakfast P10+, highest breakfast share EVER

THE FOX

• Biggest audience in Melbourne with 1.443M listeners (inc. DAB+)
  • #1 Share P25-54 and W25-54 (inc DAB+)
  • Carrie and Tommy #1 share P10+
  • #1 Share Breakfast P25-54 and W25-54

2DAY

• 1.072m people are tuning into 2DAY FM every week (inc DAB+)
  • 405k people are tuning into 2DayFM Breakfast every week
  • 384k people are tuning in to Carrie and Tommy every week

SAFM

• #1 Share W25-54 (inc DAB+)
  • #2 Share P10+ and P25-54 (inc.DAB+)
  • #1 Share Breakfast W25-54
  • Carrie & Tommy #1 Share W25-54
  • Hot Nights with Abbie Chatfield up 1.2 share points for P10+

MIX 94.5

• #2 Share P10+ (inc. DAB+)
  • #2 Share P25-54 (inc. DAB+)
  • #2 Share Breakfast P10+, P25-54 (up 1.7 share points) and W25-54 (up 2.1 share points)
  • Carrie and Tommy #2 Share P25-54 and W25-54

TRIPLE M NETWORK METRO

• #1 Share M25-54, Triple M Network reaches 3.017m listeners every week (inc.DAB+)
  • The Marty Sheargold Show 3-4pm, #1 Share M25-54 nationally
  • The Rush Hour 4-6pm, #1 Share M25-54 nationally
  • #1 AFL Broadcast in metro markets
  • Triple M NRL #1 P25-54 and P10-69

Triple M Adelaide

• #1 station overall, highest cume ever (inc DAB+)
  • #1 Share P10+, P25-54 and M25-54 (inc.DAB+)
  • #1 Share Breakfast P10+, P25-54 & M25-54
  • Rush Hour #1 Share M25-54 (4-6pm)
  • Marty Sheargold #1 Share M25-54 (3-4pm)

Triple M Adelaide AFL

• #1 Share for P10+, PU70 and P25-54
  • #1 reach for P10+, PU70 and P25-54

Triple M Sydney

• #2 Share M25-54 (inc DAB+)
  • 835k people are tuning into Triple M Sydney every week (inc DAB+)
  • 232k people are tuning into Rush Hour every week (4-6pm)
  • 288k people are tuning into Mick and MG in Breakfast (6-9am) every week

Triple M Sydney NRL

• #1 Share for PU70 and P25-54
  • #1 reach for PU70 and P25-54

Triple M Melbourne

• #2 Share M25-54 (inc DAB+)
  • Rush Hour #1 Share M25-54 (4-6pm)
  • 866k people are tuning in to Triple M Melbourne every week (inc DAB+)

Triple M Melbourne AFL

• #1 Share for PU70 and P25-54
  • #1 reach for PU70 and P25-54

Triple M Brisbane

• #1 Share M25-54 (inc DAB+)
  • #2 Share P10+ (inc DAB+)
  • Marty Sheargold #1 Share M25-54 (3ā€“4pm)
  • #2 Share Breakfast M25-54 (5.30-9am)
  • Rush Hour #2 Share M25ā€“54 (4-6pm)

Triple M Brisbane NRL

• #1 Reach for P10+, PU70 and P25-54

Triple M Perth

• #2 Breakfast (5.30-8.30am) M25-54
  • #2 Share Rush Hour M25-54 (4pm ā€“ 6pm)
  • Marty Sheargold #2 Share M 25-54 (3-4pm)
  • 403k people are tuning into Triple M Perth every week (inc DAB+)

Triple M Perth AFL

• #1 Reach for P10+, PU70 and P25-54

Source: Metro Survey #3 2023 Radio 360. P10+/P25-54/W25-54/M25-54. Mon-Sun ROS, Cume Reach (000ā€™s)/Share to All %/Share to Selected %.

2 Likes

Itā€™s accuracy is also being questioned yet again in the Radio Green Room on Facebook, SEN track DAB in Melbourne & Brisbane have seemingly high listenership in the 10-17 age group for what is essentially a gambling information station & that age group is too young to legally gamble? SEN Track in Sydney got a * for the 10-17 age group.

3 Likes

So we have 4BH and Cruise now vying for number 1 AM music station in the country/world. Of course DAB helps. How long before 4BH overtakes KIIS 97.3 or 4MMM the same way 4KQ used to on occasion.

3 Likes

Wonder what the relationship between this age group listening and the time of day is - does it align with when SEN have non-racing content on Track or not?

1 Like

Even though itā€™s been reported that their Friday Night team is 4th out of 4 for that time slot. Largely carried by the Sunday Afternoon team.

1 Like

I always assume most weird 10-17 listening is kids in the car, thereā€™s other stuff like 2GB jumped 4.9 in 10-17 to 5.9 and a 9.9 share for Smooth, that just doesnā€™t scream control of the radio.

5 Likes

Well established that 10-17 figures will often echo their 25-39 or 40-55 parents.

4 Likes

Does commercial DAB+ mean all commercial stations on DAB+ or just the DAB+ only stations? Similarly for ABC DAB+.

And what about SBS DAB+? Is it included in ABC DAB+?

2 Likes
1 Like

SBS stations donā€™t opt into for the survey so arenā€™t included in the public data release.

2 Likes

According to Herald Sunā€™s Scott Gullan, Triple M unexpectedly slumped to fourth on Friday night with 3.6, behind 3AW (10.2), ABC (4.4) and SEN (4.4). On Saturday, Triple M rated 7.9 (3AW 10.5) in the afternoon and 7.4 (3AW 10.2) from 6pm to 11pm. On Sunday afternoon, Triple M finished a close second to 3AW (7.5 to 7.8) then it was daylights to SEN (2.9) and ABC (2.8).

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/media-street-triple-m-friday-night-team-suffers-shock-ratings-hit-tumble-to-last-behind-sen-abc/news-story/58b04d61593378d9e7d9f100646f5325

2 Likes

I listen to 99.7 Bridge FM(Redcliffe),4BH or 94.1FM if Iā€™m on the Gold Coast in the car,sometimes The Breeze though the reception around most of Brisbane isnā€™t great.
No stations from the main networks SCA,ARN,etc.
Or BBC Radio 2 from the UK radio app(Apple CarPlay )or my own tunes
Iā€™m not surprised KIIS 97.3 arenā€™t rating as well as they used to ,itā€™s because they refuse to change their format similar to Gold or Smooth :-1:

2 Likes

Definitely agree with those selections. I find reception of The Breeze pretty good though in my car across most of Brisbane on 92.1, especially south of the river. But Iā€™m over in Hamilton tonight and itā€™s fine in the car. I can also get it at home with my receiver hooked up to the TV aerial, but I generally stream it at home. 99.7 is great and Bay FM isnā€™t bad either.
Love BBC R2 as well and Rebel.

3 Likes

KIISing 97.3FM probably wasnā€™t a good idea.

2 Likes