Metro Radio Ratings - Survey 3, 2023

Even though it’s been reported that their Friday Night team is 4th out of 4 for that time slot. Largely carried by the Sunday Afternoon team.

1 Like

I always assume most weird 10-17 listening is kids in the car, there’s other stuff like 2GB jumped 4.9 in 10-17 to 5.9 and a 9.9 share for Smooth, that just doesn’t scream control of the radio.

5 Likes

Well established that 10-17 figures will often echo their 25-39 or 40-55 parents.

4 Likes

Does commercial DAB+ mean all commercial stations on DAB+ or just the DAB+ only stations? Similarly for ABC DAB+.

And what about SBS DAB+? Is it included in ABC DAB+?

2 Likes
1 Like

SBS stations don’t opt into for the survey so aren’t included in the public data release.

2 Likes

According to Herald Sun’s Scott Gullan, Triple M unexpectedly slumped to fourth on Friday night with 3.6, behind 3AW (10.2), ABC (4.4) and SEN (4.4). On Saturday, Triple M rated 7.9 (3AW 10.5) in the afternoon and 7.4 (3AW 10.2) from 6pm to 11pm. On Sunday afternoon, Triple M finished a close second to 3AW (7.5 to 7.8) then it was daylights to SEN (2.9) and ABC (2.8).

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/media-street-triple-m-friday-night-team-suffers-shock-ratings-hit-tumble-to-last-behind-sen-abc/news-story/58b04d61593378d9e7d9f100646f5325

2 Likes

I listen to 99.7 Bridge FM(Redcliffe),4BH or 94.1FM if I’m on the Gold Coast in the car,sometimes The Breeze though the reception around most of Brisbane isn’t great.
No stations from the main networks SCA,ARN,etc.
Or BBC Radio 2 from the UK radio app(Apple CarPlay )or my own tunes
I’m not surprised KIIS 97.3 aren’t rating as well as they used to ,it’s because they refuse to change their format similar to Gold or Smooth :-1:

2 Likes

Definitely agree with those selections. I find reception of The Breeze pretty good though in my car across most of Brisbane on 92.1, especially south of the river. But I’m over in Hamilton tonight and it’s fine in the car. I can also get it at home with my receiver hooked up to the TV aerial, but I generally stream it at home. 99.7 is great and Bay FM isn’t bad either.
Love BBC R2 as well and Rebel.

3 Likes

KIISing 97.3FM probably wasn’t a good idea.

2 Likes

Still waiting for them to change River 949 to Gold FM or something and have a Classic Hits type format as I think it would go well in SEQLD/ Darling Downs due to the lack of classics hits on FM in Brisbane and basically no classic hits station in Toowoomba

6 Likes

Yes I agree

3 Likes

Yeah I just can’t work out why they didn’t do it the next day after 4KQ ended. Surely it’s not that hard. And put it on DAB in Brisbane. It’s a no-brainer. But then I don’t really understand what ARN does. If I was them I would have Cruise on DAB nationally and own the 60s, 70s, 80s classic hits space. If they didn’t want to use River in Brisbane then surely beaming Cruise in would be a pretty good alternative.

5 Likes

It was a dumb idea in a 4x FM station market with 2 of the 4 already doing Hot AC/CHR.

3 Likes

KIIS Brisbane sounded to me more like a blended WS / Gold 104.3 with KIIS Sydney / Melbourne… eg they played some 80s music that KIIS Syd or Melbourne wouldn’t play.

So not a Hot AC station to the extent that Nova or B105 is.

1 Like

Regardless, ARN’s delay if/in transitioning River94.9 into a Classic Hits (or Pure Gold) station, has led to the recent success of 4BH.

The longer ARN leave this, the greater the loyalty will grow for new 4BH listeners.

IMO it would’ve been perfect to run promos towards the end of 4KQ promoting “Pure Gold River94.9” as the new station to listen to.

4 Likes

It is a blend, but a poor one. They only play the the most over flogged 80s songs and they are becoming less and less.

4 Likes

Yes it was just such a wasted opportunity. Even if they just wanted to pick up the 4KQ listeners in Ipswich/Logan on to River they should have been doing exactly that. There would have been many, many 4KQ listeners within the Ipswich licence area as the main population is also within the Brisbane licence area. Why wouldn’t they at least want to get those listeners rather than let them just go to 4BH? Crazy. KQ listeners were never going to go to KIIS, so why not scoop them up onto River.

3 Likes

My guess it has everything to do with advertising. It may be bad for the listeners, but better for advertising dollars.

Both 20 and 60yos would be listening to River and KIIS. They would be losing the purchasing power of a lot of people in their 20s and 30s if they changed music format.

Only their share continues to fall, then we may find out where their limit is to change things up

4 Likes