Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 3, 2022

We get the point.

1 Like

The Sydney Morning Herald noted that Triple J has fallen behind Smooth and 2WS in the 18-24 demographic.

In the last survey, Triple J dipped 4.6 percentage points in the 18-24 demo, from 20 per cent to 15.4 per cent, but has seen that number almost half in this survey, dropping 7.4 percentage points for an 8.0 per cent share. This places Triple J behind Smooth FM (8.5 per cent, up 2 percentage points) and WSFM (8.3 per cent, up 2.9 percentage points) among younger listeners.

3 Likes

An interesting table in this article showing cumes for breakfast shows around the metro markets.

2 Likes

Wow. So more young people are listening to stations which play music released before they were born :grin:

3 Likes

Says a lot about music today. My cousin was telling me recently that her 12 year old son listens to Coldplay, The Script and Muse. But neither her or her husband are into that music, so he has discovered it on his own.

5 Likes

I play a regular trivia team each week. One guy in the team is 21 and it astounds me how much old music he knows from the 80s and 90s but even right back to the 60s and 70s.

He knows the artists and words to songs that were old when I was 21.

8 Likes

Looks like getting Ali Clarke back on Mix 102.3 for breakfast isn’t going as planned. ABC Adelaide, 5AA and Nova all way ahead in the morning. The show isn’t that bad but the personalities is a weird mix of current talents like Erin Phillips and leftover talent from Ali’s ABC days like Eddie Bannon. It doesn’t skew young yet it doesn’t skew old either and it feels like they don’t know which direction they want to go down.

2 Likes

Is it too late yet to save 4KQ?with those ratings aren’t they worth saving,:confused:

4 Likes

the new buyer seems to think not

3 Likes

Probably says more about the type of young person still listening to terrestrial radio. Or just young people in the car with their parents, not listening by choice or responding to a survey.

The move by most stations to throwback playlists, from CADA to Nova to 2Day, reflects an ageing audience overall.

2 Likes

Agree.

4KQ has got to be the highest rating station in history ever to get blown up like this with a radical format change.

3 Likes

I might bring my DAB radio to work again from tomorrow and listen to 4KQ before they change over to SEN radio

3 Likes

I don’t agree. Based on the young people I know they are chosing to listen to a lot of older music not just via terestrial radio. A lot of it is YouTube, personal playlists etc. They’re not being forced to listen.

Also the throwback playlists on Nova and CADA aren’t the same thing, the music they’re listening to is much older than that.

2 Likes

So much for being the “youth” station.

6 Likes

I have always said that people who listen to FM stations don’t want to listen to “attempted comedy drive shows”. Smooth & Gold have announcers all day and concentrate on playing music. Young people want to jump in there cars and listen to music and catch the news on the hour. Fox, Kiss, Nova and MMM are all talking dribble from 15:00 onwards. I think Nova are even talking from lunch time.

Im 50 and my ideal station would be music and announcer based station on variety. 70’s to now. I think it would be a hit. Also explains why Coles is so successful On DAB. That’s my option anyway

9 Likes

Exactly. I think even WSFM doesn’t have enough older stuff. Add back the '70s tunes (and maybe even late '60s), and I might listen more often.

3 Likes

100% this. On the Central Coast, I always listen to Star 104.5 in preference to Triple M or Hit101.3. This is not necessarily because the music is better, but because they actually play music in drive time.

4 Likes

I don’t agree with that. A mix of comedy, some news, light news chat and banter is perfect for Breakfast and Drive.

Nova have Ben and Liam at lunchtime for an hour. But it’s music from 9am to 12noon and music from 1pm to 3pm.

They probably don’t need the chat at lunchtime but I suspect Ben and Liam might be part of a longer game they are playing. They are the most likely replacements for Fitzy and Wippa whenever they choose to give up Breakfast, so they are letting audiences get to know them this way.

2 Likes

Except that most “comedy” we hear on radio isn’t really very humorous and is accompanied with forced laughter which makes it a total turnoff (for me anyway).

3 Likes

I often stream star for that reason.

2 Likes