Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 3, 2022

Could also be a boost in “other” with Breeze, River, 99.7 , 101.1 and 100.3 picking up extra listeners.

4 Likes

Nova to go super hot/top 40 and breaking new artists back to “sounding different” like they were in 2005
Triple M active/classic rock and drop the talk and sport
B105 to take on the 80s/90s/00s variety
973 to move towards Smooth
Leaving 4BH to go the full on 60-80’s classic hits path.

Then you’ll have a station for everyone in Brisbane. And still tight ratings wise to keep it competitive.

Evenings on Triple M Brisbane a disaster. Bring back the Cold 30. I also wonder where the large weekend ratings for 4KQ will go (currently number 1)

6 Likes

And to prove not everyone likes talkback, Steve Fitton on WSFM now No.1 overall for Sydney drive.

5 Likes
2 Likes

The ABC Local Radio Perth bashing undertaken last year by both Fairfax/Nine and SevenWest is starting to look a bit silly.

4 Likes

Has it changed? I gave up listening to the podcast - it was too repetitive and formulaic (and frankly not very funny)

1 Like

That’s a pretty significant drop for Triple J. Although I can’t say that I’m surprised.

I’m admittedly at the upper end of their core demographic (24), but I never listen to it. Double J has way better music as far as I’m concerned, and less talk.

4 Likes

The Triple J playlist has definitely been adjusted this year to play more mainstream pop, they seem to quite aggressively focus on what is trending on Tiktok to decide on playlists and I feel like this is resulting in the audience it doesn’t target (25+) switching off more than usual. Unearthed alumni like Kid LAROI and G-Flip are also trying to go big in the US pop scene, and in the past JJJ would not follow their unearthed alumni in this direction, but clearly they have no issue with doing so now.

I suspect if Labor fulfills its promise to get Double J on FM, that this trend is going to continue.

8 Likes

Yep, I’m really looking forward to that, especially since I’m on the Central Coast (therefore no DAB+). If that happens, it’s goodbye to commercial music radio for me.

4 Likes

TBH I can’t see them following through on this one

2 Likes

A lot are going to go elsewhere too, like Breeze, River and community radio. I can’t see many 4KQ listeners going to Triple M or 97.3. Some will give up on radio altogether

4 Likes
1 Like

I’d predict SENQ does better than SEN Sydney - I think Sydney listeners were already well served by 2GB and to a lesser extent 2SM and 2KY’s wider sports content, whereas I think given 4BC’s relative lack of Brisbane specific content, a strong “Queenslander” tilt to their programming, being basically a Broncos host broadcaster like you get with the US Sports Radio stations being all about one team, I think there’s a bigger niche to be had. Not amazing - 1.3% or so - but bigger than Sydney.

Horribly strategy from ARN on how 4KQ whimpers out - the lost chance for a DAB migration of listeners - everyone will just vanish and disperse to the other stations, hopefully 4BH can be ready. 4MMM would have had an amazing opportunity, especially given SENQ will come along to be a ‘sports’ station, cede that ground to them and be a bigger music station and pick up the 4KQ switchers.

8 Likes

Well done to Mike E and Emma who’ve overtaken CADA in the Sydney DAB+ ratings.

It looks like Sydneysiders have made the switch to RnB Fridays Radio on DAB+ from 96.1FM.

3 Likes

I think you might be onto something here. If they go a Broncos focused broadcast I’m sure the obsessed Queensland fans would tune in.

2 Likes

Regarding the stunning SEN Sydney ratings today … i just posted this a bit earlier on the SEN thread …

Magnificent ratings from SEN Sydney 1170 for the latest survey 3 reported today … 0.4 (down from 0.6 last survey). Oh yeah a really great connection from The Mexican SEN with Sydney listeners. Great use of heritage frequency AM 1170 to boot 2CH into the weeds (who was rating around 5.0 before the SEN takeover). I guess now BrisVegas can look forward to the same high quality SEN experience now that 4KQ has been flattened by the SEN crusher. What a joke SEN is north of the Yarra.

7 Likes

I’m not sure there are that many Broncos obsessed fans in Brisbane these days.

5 Likes

I predict that SENQ will be a monumental flop like SEN Sydney. SEN is a great example of a deluded business with misguided visions of grandeur. If only they had stayed in their little Melbourne market and left us northern folk alone …

7 Likes

Most Sydney community stations could beat SEN Sydney. Its the lowest of limbo bars.
It’s a race to the bottom for anything SEN north of the Yarra … magnificent business model to trash good rating AM heritage stations and replace them with 0.*** rating SENs.

5 Likes

Micro micro niche … soon even the Hubble telescope won’t be able to see SEN Sydney’s ratings …

5 Likes