Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 3, 2021

3 Likes

In Sydney, 2GB remains at #1, but fell 1.7% to 11.7%, whilst Smooth went up 1.5% to 10.8%, taking out the #2 spot, outrating ABC Sydney (10.1) in the process. KIIS is #4 (#2 FM) at 9.6%, followed by WS with 8.2%, JJJ with 7.1%, Nova with 6.5% & 2MMM with 4.9%. 2Day fell 0.4 to 3.5%, only 0.1% ahead of ABC Classic, whilst 2UE rose slightly by 0.1 to 2.4%, likewise for SEN at 0.5%.

In Melbourne, 3AW remains on top with 15.6% (-1.3), followed by Gold 104.3 with 11.1% (-0.2), ABC Melbourne at 8.8%, and a tie between Fox & Nova at 7.8%, both of them sharing the position of #2 FM. Smooth rated 7.6%, followed by KIIS at 6.4%, and a tie between JJJ & 3MMM with 5.2%. Magic remained steady at 1%, whilst 3MP went up 0.3% to 0.9%.

In Brisbane, Nova takes back the top spot with 11.1%, up 0.5% from the previous survey, followed by 4KQ at 10.3%, 4MMM with 10.2%, B105 with 9.9% & 97.3FM with 9.8%. ABC Brisbane rated 8.1%, followed by JJJ with 7.1% & 4BC with 6.4%. 4BH dipped slightly by 0.1 to 2.1%.

In Adelaide, Mix 102.3 remains on top with 13%, followed by Nova with 11.5%, Cruise with 11.1%, FiveAA with 10.8%, 5MMM with 10.1% & ABC Adelaide with 10%. SAFM took a big dive in the ratings, going down 1.5% to 7.1%.

And in Perth, Nova remains on top with 13.5%, followed by Mix 94.5 with 11.9%, 96fm with 11.1%, 6PR with 9.5%, JJJ at 8.8%, ABC Perth at 8.1% & Triple M with 7.9%. 6iX fell 0.3 to 4.2%.

8 Likes

Big movement for KIIS Melbourne in Breakfast and Evenings. Very positive.

2 Likes

Looking at the Sydney ratings closely, SEN got an asterisk in the 55-64s, which was where 2CH used to do well at when it was on AM.

In the 40-54s, Smooth is #1, whilst KIIS outrates WS in that demo, with JJJ ranking 4th.

5 Likes

Gold and Nova shared the top spot in Melbourne breakfast followed by Fox and a resurging KIIS. Whoever replaces PJ as KIIS breakfast co-host will have a hard act to follow.

Despite a TV commercial campaign, Marty Sheargold Show on Triple M dropped 0.4% from the last survey.

1 Like

Looking good for 4KQ. Still 2nd overall, 2nd across breakfast and mornings but fall flat in the afternoons and evenings.

Weekends KQ are going strong which is a positive.

3 Likes

At the bottom , yeah it is interesting ABC Classic beats 2UE (3.4) vs 2.5. SkySports (0.7 vs 0.5)radio only just beats SEN.

It is interesting Newsradio beats 2RN. I know ABC is not always about ratings but I do question having both networks. They are doing better than some commercial network. I’d imagine the running costs would be higher than the other networks? Maybe there should be 2 AM Government networks / 2 FM Music networks. Also you have SBS as well… Anyway a can of worms I should leave closed.

2 Likes

In Sydney breakfast radio, 2GB’s Ben Fordham is only 0.4% ahead of ABC Sydney’s Robbie Buck & Wendy Harmer, which comes after Fordham fell 2% from the previous survey. He’s also not far ahead of KIIS’ Kyle & Jackie O, who rated 12.9% after going up 2%.

The battle for Sydney’s #1 breakfast radio program is heating up for the first time in a very long time! :open_mouth:

3 Likes
1 Like

Yeah it is good. The Honeymoon is over for Ben. It is a shame 2SM don’t really try harder as I think Marcus Paul could also be part of this ratings battle. I’d love to see if 2SM would be beating SEN 1170 in its current form, or better still 2UE.

4 Likes

Alan Jones is no doubt waiting by the phone for Nine to call and beg him to return to breakfast radio. He’ll be loving watching the ratings for his former slot tumble.

Surprised by the negative reporting in a Nine masthead about Fordham’s ratings “dive”.

https://twitter.com/smh/status/1399519156874133506

3 Likes

I only came here for the comments on the 2DayFM Morning Crew, but so far no one has posted anything.

I’ll try again in an hour.

6 Likes

I’m actually a bit perplexed at RN’s ratings generally. I know it’s fairly niche but I would still expect it to be higher than it is. Of all the ABC stations it’s the one I’m most likely to listen to.

1 Like

Yes hopefully KQ has settled in with ratings above 10%. It doesn’t look like 4BH/2UE/Magic are going to go much higher. I must admit I do like to listen to 4BH though. Perhaps they need to promote it.

Cruise still going great guns in Adelaide too.

Ugh 97.3, when will the penny drop that something needs to change with the music.

3 Likes

What’s there to say, we all know what’s coming next :wink:

5 Likes

It’s now a year since there were posts on Mediaspy stating that 2SM would be back in the ratings. I wonder what happened.

2 Likes

yeah I am not sure if you can have News radio and RN as one. I don’t listen to RN so maybe I am oversimplifying it. There was a time News Radio didn’t exist it was just for Parliament. Now we have online and DAB maybe they can use that for Parliament sittings.

2 Likes

Bloody fantastic result for X Digital. I’d be pleased to have a cume of 3,000 despite ceasing transmission days before the survey period.

Unsurprisingly, these figures aren’t appearing anywhere other than Radioinfo…

5 Likes

Certainly not while News Radio is still legislatively required to carry parliamentary sittings on AM/FM

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarity didn’t know that … It is interesting the respective state Parliaments doesn’t have this rule. They are can make decisions which can impact people’s day to day life in some cases more so than the Federal Government especially with the current times.

1 Like