Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 3, 2019

Once 2CH realise to completely differentiate themselves from Smooth, they’ll be fine.

Run some disruptor formats all for the cost of automation, consultant for a playlist that can be easily F10’d and some production to make it sound like a radio station even if not staffed.

Do that for a few months as say frequency on air ID only, then return with a great format once the extensive work is done.

All for the cost or less than what it is to pay numerous on air numptys per shift plus producer staff.

Gemma will be happy about that even if bfast isn’t rising up for her.

Brisbane is desperate for a Smooth/Easy Listening station. It is a real gap here on the airwaves.

I’m not surprised that KQ is No.1 on weekends. Everyone in Brisbane is tuning out from NRL talkback largely networked from Sydney on both MMM and the ABC. Doesn’t help the QLD teams are performing poorly. B105/973/Nova all sound the same - homogenous and safe. KQ believe it or not is the only station willing to play some unflogged and deep cuts occasionally. I think that’s resonating with audiences.

I hope that one day either 973 or B105 adopt a 80’s and 90’s only format playing lots of lost singles and poppy upbeat songs. A bit like what Mix In NZ used to be like. One of those stations needs to change to make a point of difference.

I myself now having a DAB radio in the car only listen to Smooth, The 80’s and 4KQ. Occasionally I’ll slip over to Classic Rock.

4 Likes

Correct.

The best opportunity was for innovation within the community radio sector.

For Logan 101 or BAY FM to run at least bfast through drive weekdays the Smooth format.

Yet despite all the supposed former commercial radio experience at both community stations, they bumble along with their dated all things to all people radio. It’s 40 years stale and sounds it.

Since the demise of 4BH, this has been their opportunity, yet it has been lost.

And largely automated and networked.

3 Likes

Aren’t 2CH already starting to provide a point of difference in the market with their Classic Hits format (generally playing tracks the FM stations - including Smooth - won’t touch these days) and a light talk element in some weekday shifts?

It’s one thing to be providing something different to the others, but you’ve also got to let people know that your product exists for there to be any chance of consumers trying it. Realistically, 2CH won’t beat Smooth 95.3 but if the station can do enough to help them get somewhere around 5-6% across the board, you’d consider that to be be moderately successful for a Sydney AM music station in this day & age.

2 Likes

What? :flushed:

1 Like

Prior to Gselctor, you could press the F10 key and it would do the day’s schedule for you.

Lazy MDs would press F10 instead of building their own log song by song and crafting their clocks. It relies on the rules entered but it doesn’t mean the rules get it right every time:

http://rcssupport.com/help/gs/Intro/GSelector_and_Selector_compared.htm

3 Likes

For Brisbane the answer is a Smooth format on 882. For Melbourne it’s a 4KQ type classic hits format. Sydney is the tricky one. BBC Radio 2?

3 Likes

Yep agree. I only listen to DAB also. Smooth, Easy Hits, The 80s, 4KQ, GHD and Classic Rock.

4KQ is excellent on weekends.

2 Likes
1 Like

If I’m going to listen to 4KQ I would prefer to listen to them on DAB instead of crappy old AM

3 Likes

Craig Hutchison should put both sen 1116 and sen 1377 in the Melbourne Ratings unless he too chicken to find out that no one listens to sen on 1377

3 Likes

7 News Brisbane report

1 Like

I watched Nine’s Sydney bulletin tonight and don’t recall the radio survey results getting a mention. They usually do.

2 Likes

Surely we’ll see more tinkering with 96fm in Perth eventually? Numbers have been consistently poor for a long time now, figure they’d have bit the bullet by now and turned it into a proper classic hits station as opposed to the weird KISS / Classic Hits hybrid it continues to be.

1 Like

Nothing on Nine in Brisbane as well.

1 Like

You’d think Nine would be talking up 2GB’s results

1 Like

Nine’s SMH was happy to lay the boot into the ABC for their bad book this afternoon.

2 Likes

Especially with the bulletin’s long history (even pre-merger) of generally covering 2GB in a positive light, likely because people such as Ben Fordham & Ross Greenwood are employed with both while there are a number of reporters at Nine Sydney who used to be on Macquarie National News.

Unless I’ve missed their report it’s also surprising that the Jason Morrison-lead Seven News Sydney didn’t have a short RVO on the radio ratings results.

Nah it would sound too much like 6iX. 96 needs a point of difference. More rock would be good.

3 Likes

Paul Murray program on Sky News

1 Like