Metro Radio Ratings - Survey 2, 2023

So much spin, but the daypart ratings are shit house. Nova 969 was even beaten by 2UE in mornings, and even 2day fm is now giving it a run for its money.

All good getting the chemistry right at Breakfast and Drive, but the playlist sucks, and management don’t get this.

7 Likes

KIIS has a better playlist most of the time and the ratings reflect this.

4 Likes

As I’m not really in the demographic I’m curious as to how the KIIS playlist is better than Nova. Your insights?

3 Likes

They play a wider range of music.
KIIS plays more current music from the charts or newly released which hasn’t charted yet or may not.
Nova plays new music for a week or two then quickly drops it.

KIIS plays more Australian music like new music by Tones & I, Pnau, Amy Shark, Vance Joy (whether it charts or not) or older music by Jessica Mauboy, Guy Sebastian, Dean Lewis, Temper Trap etc.
Nova hardly plays any new Aussie music unless the artist has success overseas.

KIIS plays a wider range of throwbacks. A lot of it is stuff that Nova also plays but a lot more stuff like alternative/indi past hits that are not played by other stations.
Nova has a much smaller playlist and will play about 20/30 throwbacks almost every day whereas KIIS won’t play the same throwback as often.

Nova is obsessed with certain artists and plays them on high rotation like Pink, Usher, Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Justin Timberlake and certain oldies by Black Eyed Peas, Shaggy.
Not unusual for Nova to play the same new song every 2 or 3 hours. You can literally drive to the shops and hear a few songs and you you can guarantee that you will hear the same songs again on the trip home.

The hosts on Nova like Fitzy an Tim Blackwell will often bag the playlist about how repetitive it is. Tim recently had a go at Nova for still playing the same Taylor Swift every single day on his show for the past six months. He said that she had 40 other songs that they could play and even it took off once and played something else. It’s a running joke about not worrying if you missed a song because you’ll hear it again in a couple of hours.

I’m not saying KIIS is perfect. Far from it. But they are better than Nova now.

11 Likes

I’d have to agree. KIIS1065 and KIIS101.1 play a wider variety of hit music.

They’re not broad with their target audience, but they’re brilliant and keeping their music fresh with the better mix of hits and 90s/00s/10s tracks.

KIIS is definitely the better choice for hit music variety in Sydney.

This is where I’d wish Nova would go more dance/indie/alternate like they used to do so well.

8 Likes

If they did that I would listen again. Now it’s KIIS or Capital Dance / BBC R1.

5 Likes

According to The Sunday Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield, 2GB has maintained its top position on Sunday afternoons in the first NRL Sydney ratings survey of 2023. 2GB had 6.3% share, followed by Triple M on 5.8%, the ABC on 2.8% and SEN on 0.1%.

3 Likes

I’m surprised the ABC coverage doesn’t rate better… no ads and no egos.

No wonder why Nine pushed for 2GB to have exclusive commercial rights for the 4pm Sunday games as part of their new rights deal - the gap between 2GB and Triple M is closer than what they would like (and what I thought it would be).

2 Likes

Does anyone have the ratings for all stations on a Sunday afternoon?

I’d love to see how the NRL calls compares to the station who play music.

3 Likes