Metro Radio Ratings - Survey 2, 2023

But 4BC’s LG&M not getting the audience they used to at 4KQ, probably due to 4BH’s BBQ Bob.

I’m more interested in who is still stuck listening to 693AM? I’d love to hear from an ex-4KQ listener who actually enjoys SENQ’s format.

2 Likes

I don’t think there are any

2 Likes

To have an individual station listed in the survey you would need to pay the business that conducts the survey (GfK) a fee. This is why 2SM is not listed. Bill refuses to pay.

I believe the annual charge is about $100 000, although I stand to be corrected.

2 Likes

Another release from Nine

2GB is the outright market leader in Sydney, with a 11.8 share in Survey 2 2023 (up 0.8) and audience gains across all its programs.

Ben Fordham Live remains the number one talk show in Breakfast, with a 14.7 share (up 0.7). Ray Hadley has recorded his 148th consecutive survey win in Mornings, with 14.3 (up 0.3). Afternoons with Deb Knight and Drive with Chris O’Keefe were both No.1 in talk, posting 8.2 (up 0.5) and 6.8 (up 0.5) respectively.

2GB Content Manager, Luke Davis, said: “This is a great survey for 2GB, which is again Sydney’s No.1 station. In the nation’s toughest market, Ben has posted a stunning increase in Breakfast, resulting in some impressive numbers right across the day and into the weekend. Our live and local content is as important as ever and we thank the loyalty that Sydneysiders have shown us.”

Further highlights of GfK Survey 2 in Sydney were:

Money News with Scott Haywood recorded 10 (up 3.6) (Mon-Thurs 7-8pm)
Nights with John Stanley remains the clear No.1 with a share of 23.1 (up 4.3) (Mon-Thurs 8pm-12am and Friday 7-11pm)
2GB Weekends is No.1 with a share of 11.4 (up 0.5 points).

Source: GfK Radio Ratings, Survey 2 2023, Mon-Fri 5.30am-9.00am, Mon-Fri 9.00am-11.00am (4BC Mornings), Mon-Fri 12.00pm-3.00pm, Mon-Fri 3.00pm-6.00pm, Mon-Thurs 8.00pm-12MN Fri 7pm-12MN, Market Share %, Cume AP10+ unless otherwise specified

1 Like

There would be none. Seriously zero.

3 Likes

Agree, 4KQ and SEN Q are worlds apart product wise.

It would be like if KIIS or FOX chsnged its brand and format to Classic Rock FM. None of the current listeners would stay.

3 Likes

It’s even more different than that. Going from a 30 year consistent classic hits format to a niche sport format with no music at all. Nobody is staying for that after listening to classic hits for 30 years.

4 Likes

Wish they would! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

‘The Fox Rox… with brekkie with Fifi Box’ has a good ring to it.

4 Likes

to be expected, though. The venn diagram of 4KQ listeners and SENQ listeners would be two totally separate circles :wink:

2 Likes

Reminds me of this fantastic FOX FM ad from when it was Classic Rock… todays radio ads on TV are pretty bland by comparison

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s per station, especially for the DAB only stations, I think it’s per network, so ARN would pay to have all their stations, same with Nova & SCA, Bill doesn’t pay at all for anything so none of his stations are included?
The stations don’t necessarily pay to be included in the survey, they pay to receive the results from the survey, which is far more detailed than what’s publicly available to view.

4 Likes

Just a few notes from my Sydney perspective:-

• Great battle continues for no. 1 between KIIS and 2GB. Both stations are very Sydney centric and know their markets beautifully. Great fightback from Ben Fordham in brekky but still just pipped by K&JO. 2GB back to #1 overall however. This is a titanic battle between the two heavyweights…
  • Both SCA stations excellent gains this book. Finally some consistency is starting to pay off.
  • ABC SYD down to 5.5 … cannot remember when they were this low … must be a long time. In fact all of the various ABC stations dropped here this book. Wokeness is brokeness in Sydney.
  • SEN a well deserved 0.5. Such a success after blowing up 2CH which was pulling 10x this figure.
6 Likes

The battle between KIIS1065 and 2GB reminds me of the days when it was a battle between 2DayFM and 2UE.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Yet Bill’s NewFM in Newcastle is in the GfK survey.

I am sure that you need to pay to be included survey - otherwise you become part of the “other AM or FM” statistic.

I am not sure if I am correct but is 2SM the only commercial AM or FM station to not be included in a capital city ratings survey?

1 Like

No, there’s also RadioTAB in Brisbane.

5 Likes

WSFM ratings continuous to grow slowly on Breakfast and across the day and on the weekends.

4 Likes

The late great Shane Warne would be proud of the amount of spin SCA produce on the survey.

Of course, they fail to mention that they are still last and 2nd last commercial FM in Sydney, and hold the last commercial FM place in ALL markets.

7 Likes
2 Likes