Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 2, 2021

I looked at the logs on Lava, Nova is a complete rip off of Heart UK. Same positioner, almost identical throwbacks, as close as you can get to a cut and paste job for the playlist. Aimed at the 35-55 year old female.

Just shows how clueless the programmers are, first they copy capital fm, then they turn Nova into Heart.
If the ratings for Nova continue to suck will PJ rebrand Nova as Heart??? Everything they do is so original!!!

3 Likes

Sadly it seems to be a worldwide trend. Even the BBC has been accused recently of trying to target so called “mood mothers” on Radio 2.

5 Likes

720 hasn’t been any good since the late great Eoin Cameron retired. Getting beaten by 6iX in the afternoon!

5 Likes

I’ve never liked the name Nova, it’s not a readily identifiable English word. As it means a type of star, they should have just called it Star FM or Star 96.9 etc, something more easily identifiable.

Having said that, I’d be surprised if they rebrand it anytime soon.

5 Likes

Nova is Latin for new, I always took it to refer to that as a new radio station, especially coupled with “sounds dufferent”. We’re new and we sound different to the old stations.

4 Likes

Too bad the station itself sounds anything but new with all the throwbacks they’re playing these days.

6 Likes

It’s KIIS that is positioning itself as the home of fresh hits now and is dropping new music to radio. Nova just imitates them now with only the safe tracks.

2 Likes

I haven’t been out on a Saturday night for ages, but was driving last night and had Nova on the radio. Gosh it was bland radio. There used to be a time Saturday night FM radio was pumping with dance tracks and remixes. Nova was so far from that, it was almost like Smooth FM.

9 Likes

Same here Nova was playing castles by Freya Riding on a Saturday night while KIIS had dance mixes on.

Even Smooth and 2day fm had Saturday night shows with more upbeat music while Nova was on automation with their stock standard dull playlist.

Nova is suffering a slow painful death thanks to their programmers, are they purely focusing on the Smooth network?

3 Likes

Smooth and Nova both have “feel good” slogans going on at the moment, they’re getting so similar, only the musical eras are somewhat different.

4 Likes

I think Nova is trying to emulate Heart in the UK. Problem is there’s too much overlap with the Hit network here. Heart in the UK has more differentiation between them and their rivals Radio 1, KISS and Capital.

4 Likes

A new pop psych term? Is this long term post natal depression?

1 Like

And that’s the problem. Paul Jackson believes in copying a good idea rather than fitting to suit/grab market share in Australia. It’s very conservative, saves money and results in poor radio.

Nova appears to be suffering the problem SCA/Austereo have had since Village Roadshow became involved in the mid 90’s. They appear unable to ensure both brands are at/near the top of the market simultaneously.

Nova is at the point of cannibalising Smooth’s market share by being a younger version.

Seems Nova and Paul Jackson and Irene Hulme have an ill considered plan to ‘hand over’ audience from Nova to Smooth. Not a good way to operate.

8 Likes

That is why it is best for Nova to go back to its original sound in Sydney and Melbourne so Nova and Smooth have a clear point of difference. That is what the market needs.

5 Likes

I’d never heard of it either. Apparently it’s a term BBC have come up with to describe women 35 - 44 who are “time poor, family focused, and hard up financially”.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/tv/exclusive-bbc-radio-2-wants-to-lure-working-class-mood-mums-documents-reveal/ar-BB1ds318

3 Likes