Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 2, 2021

Agree. It’s localism and connection to the community. There’s also a genuine warmth and rapport between the breakfast hosts and they are truly connected to Brisbane, especially Laurel. She’s a treasure.

The Easter countdown and Christmas lights competitions are institutions.

8 Likes

:rofl::joy::rofl:. Note to self, don’t type while walking… thanks Tom! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Probably a good thing changes are being made to KIIS Melbourne breakfast after that result.

2 Likes

Typical. Wouldn’t be surprised if Fordham’s predecessor who works for News Corp had some input or influence into that article.

4 Likes

That is exactly what I do now.

With the playlist changes (yet again) since the last survey, they have lost the younger demographics again massively, but failed to improve in the older demographics more than a tiny bit in a couple of demos.

Nova 96.9 seem to have really lost their way with their playlist and left listeners confused and turning away. Has Brisbane 106.9 dropped because they now closer follow the Sydney playlist?

3 Likes

Reported that the 4KQ breakfast team is the “longest running Australian radio team”.

7 Likes

I am assuming that is the case, probably not enough surveys last year due to COVID for trends to appear, but it seems the shitty Sydney playlist is having an impact now, considering Nova 106.9 got beaten by 4KQ!!!

The wheels fell off when Jay got fired from Nova 106.9, he knew the Brisbane market well and was able to give Nova 106.9 it’s unique sound from the rest of the network which Brisbane loved.
As management in Sydney / Melbourne started getting their hands on it and putting it on the network log the decline began.

I believe Nova will fall further in Sydney in future surveys, probably hitting rock bottom around 4.5-5.0 share, only staying a head of 2day because of F&W and KTJ. Workdays will continue to be embarrassing.
Sydney and Brisbane need to go back to the original Sound’s Different Format.

I only listen to F&W, I stopped listening to KTJ when Marty left. The rest of the time I stream BBC R1. Even my kids hate Nova now, and only want to listen to Capital fm, or BBC R1 on the Apple Car Play.

7 Likes

Yes. Sounds the same as KIIS and 2Day isn’t working.

3 Likes

Nothing special in the way of Radio Ratings Survey #2 coverage on Sydney TV news bulletins. A brief RVO from Nine (Wow at that poorly cut out KIIS 1065 logo! :open_mouth:) seemed to be the extent of it:

2 Likes

… At least 2Day can no longer say they’re being beaten by 2CH …

7 Likes

…or that they’re “Sydney’s #12 Hit Music Station” like they were a while back, with 104.1FM currently in 9th spot.

Still unless things improve soon, I won’t be overly surprised if we see ABC Classic 92.9 and/or 2UE outrate 2DayFM by the end of the year.

2 Likes

Longer than the 40+ years of Graham and Sandra Ross on 2GB?

3 Likes
1 Like

Nova has moved its music positioning to play more mainstream music for quite a few years and I don’t think this will change, despite the drop in workday numbers.

Coles radio and Nova 90s / Noughties / Throwbacks play some of the old dance/rock/urban anthems that Nova used to play when it launched on FM. Nova has a different sound these days but the digital channels play some of the old school hits that were heard in the ‘sounds different’ era.

4 Likes

The constant chopping and changing will see them drop further.

Doesn’t mean we have to like it.

5 Likes

They are obviously chasing a different audience, more female-skewed and mainstream, which means less edgier and a lot more safer than it used to be.

I agree, the music is not to my taste either but if you don’t like it there are plenty of other options to choose from on DAB+ or RadioApp or overseas stations on th web.

3 Likes

If I’m going to that much trouble then I’ll just stream music I like. The thing with radio is that you can have it on in your car, clock radio and at work, without having to muck around too much or drain the battery on your phone.

5 Likes

and if all 3 or 4 FM stations are targeting the same 35 year old mothers, it doesn’t give the audience many options, and only limits their market shares.

10 Likes

It doesn’t help when their music programmers are women that age. Fitzy and Wippa were taking the piss out of their music programmer a couple of weeks ago. Apparently “Jodie” has been working from home since the pandemic started and most days works from bed in her pyjamas. :roll_eyes: I guess Jodie is a Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift fan who can’t move on from Lady Gaga, Bruno Mars, Rihanna and Usher. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I guess that’s why F&W are still on air, they seem ‘cheeky’ and young to middle aged women.

4 Likes