Metro Radio Ratings: Survey 2, 2019

Ok, interesting.

When Nova began ‘sounds different’ their positioner, they had a high level of urban along with dance and rock and alternative - anything but pure pop really. It was a wedge to JJJ and The Edge.

2 Likes

Which helped it hit #1 in FM and stay there for ages. It was arguably when Nova was at its best.

1 Like

Agree.

Exactly, why doesn’t Duncan try harder with 101.1? What of 96? Gary’s back as GM - good. Now need a PD that Gary likes.

1 Like

ARN needs to let a local run the station not the shots being called from Sydney, since that started in lead up to Mix days the station lost its identity and place in the market.

Since KIIS hasn’t been rolled out nationally, I’d roll it back to TTFM and go hard into CHR, switch drive and breakfast teams over and get a proper mornings and Arvos announcers and dump the awful pick up show at 3pm.

8 Likes
3 Likes

Brilliant spray from Glover, well said!

It reminds us how poor the newspaper coverage is of radio matters.

Remember when Stan Zemanek used to mercilessly admonish Sue Javes (Kerry O’Brien’s wife) of the SMH for her articles?

2 Likes

What should be done about Triple M Sydney?

It’s ratings have been low for quite some time now. A lack of promotion from SCA hasn’t helped however.

I’d like to hear less sport and comedy and a wider variety of rock from the 70s to now, play a bit pop slanted music if needs be.

But perhaps they should consider targeting an audience somewhere between WS and Smooth, which would mean a significantly softer music mix.

3 Likes

2GB gave up on 2UE last year. I have sort of thought that the owners of 2MMM gave up on the station in about 2002.

They seem to be quite happy with Triple M being an FM talk station with a niche market of 100 000 bogans.

Nova and ARN love it.

3 Likes

They have got rocks in their heads to not try a Magic format on 954 (similar to what 882 Brisbane and 1278 Melbourne had).

Though we have been there, done that a zillion times on this forum.

2 Likes

And we will be again. It makes sense.

As does Smooth for 97.3. Would make life more difficult for 4BH to return to their format.

3 Likes

Congrats to MSR for finally rating * in Perth on digital, losing to NTS on 5.

Obviously part of that is promotion - I wonder if we’ll ever see a real push for a digital only station. Smooth in Brisbane/Adelaide/Perth are prime examples - stations that are doing so well on FM in Sydney/Melbourne - surely they shouldn’t be losing to Coles radio?

4 Likes

Completely agree. I simply don’t understand why there is zero promotion for Smooth DAB in the other capitals, when Smooth FM is the No 1 music station in Sydney and Melbourne. What are these people doing all day?

2 Likes

Nova was better back then, but whilst it was able to sustain #1 position for 13 surveys, it has never been back since. Nova 100 has never been number 1. And thats in full ‘sounds different’/‘no more than 2 ads in a row’ mode

I’m sure I read it went #1FM during this period, but happy to be proven wrong

From memory they went number 1# but it was only one survey. After that fox resumed their dominance.

1 Like

Sorry for bringing up an old thread. But I was listening to the Game Changers Radio Podcast from last year and they mention this very post from this very thread in there:

5 Likes

Glad you did.

At what point do we listen?

2 Likes

It’s toward the start, only a couple of minutes in where they look at Brisbane first.

2 Likes