Nova Network

They’ve had both male and female voices on Nova. They could use both but the point is they should be Aussie accents.

Also, the playlist needs to change. After showing some promise yesterday with new music, listening to Fitzy and Wippa this morning it was back to just more of the same. :weary:

Yesterday they had these throwbacks: Umbrella- Rihanna, Sorry - Justin Bieber, Pump It - Black Eyed Peas, The Way I Are - Timbaland.
Today they had two of the same artists as throwbacks: We Found Love - Rihanna/Calvin Harris, Let Me Love You - Justin Bieber/DJ Snake, Cheap Thrills - Sia, In My Head - Jason Derulo.

Also, back to playing the handful of songs every day by Loud Luxury, Miley Cyrus, Ava Max that should be on the way out by now and played a lot less often.

2 Likes

I agree with all the above.

Nova thinks by using an English accent they are being different to the others.

If Nova wants to “sound different” and send a big F.U. to the others, then stick with all Aussie V/O’s.

5 Likes

Go hard CHR, go hard with the Smallzy and Matt Tilley shows building off breakfast. Have a proper fucking identity, stand out.

6 Likes

Genuinely surprised KIIS aren’t pushing this hard in Melbourne where there’s such an obvious gap in the market

5 Likes

101.1 has never known what it’s doing since it went to Mix

3 Likes

While you’re not wrong, it shouldn’t stop them trying. We all thought 91.5 was destined to be a shambles forever, and now it’s #1FM.

2 Likes

I had a listen to Matt Tilley this morning and Troy Ellis joined him. Not sure if it was for the duration of the show?

1 Like

I noticed Troy didn’t do his 12pm shift so maybe they’ve combined to do mornings?

Nova sounds significantly worse this week IMO. I mean, good on 'em for trying something different, but the specific british VO is super jarring. Sounds like he’s the guy who does Heart London though, so with KIIS taking the Capital dude, it was surely only a matter of time before Nova took the Heart guy.

Matt Tilley in the morning sounds terrible IMO. Obviously Nova agree, giving him an anchor on day 3.
Smallzy is fine, but he fits nights much better.

I can’t think of a radio station in Sydney or Melbourne that genuinely caters for anyone under the age of about 35 other than Triple J now. Fox is the closest, but they’re still not ‘young/youthful’. Is that a sign of ageing trends and radio dying off as a medium for young people, or has radio created it’s own self-fulfilling prophecy…?

2 Likes

Totally jarring and it’s heard in almost every break. I keep thinking. Why is it British?

And now on Smallzy’s show there are American voiceovers too. They are suffering a massive cultural cringe. This is going to be a massive failure.

1 Like

From Radioinfo:

Nova have introduced a cross brand announcer role with Jamie Rowe from smoothfm Melbourne also presenting Nova 919 Adelaide Afternoons.

The move will give the Adelaide station a slightly older sound.

Read more at: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/novas-cross-brand-experiment-adelaide

That’s ridiculous. Crazy to let Cale go. They’re making all the wrong changes.

1 Like

Nova has been making poor decisions since 2016 when networking was introduced.

Since DMG was sold to Lachie is more like it.

Without the leadership of Paul Thompson, they lost their best staff and have been cutting costs since.

Who told Radioinfo that or is that their opinion?

Jamie Row is an evergreen < 40’s format announcer, very versatile.

What’s behind the sudden re-announcement about Cale? This was announced and discussed weeks ago that he’d left Nova and gone to Mix.

1 Like

So, yesterday on Fitzy & Wippa they played a Lady Gaga track as a throwback and then today they played yet another Rihanna throwback and another Lady Gaga throwback. :rolleyes:

These songs are still being played every day despite being down in the chart and having been out for months.

Meanwhile, they were offering tickets to the Billie Eilish Red Room and callers had to ring in when they played Bad Guy. Every time they teased it by mentioning it and playing a snippet, they were saying that the phone lines had exploded. they had to keep reminding people to wait until they played the song in full.

They’ve hardly played Bad Guy at breakfast but it’s a song that should currently be played every day on Breakfast and Drive. Goes to show how out of touch they are with the Nova listeners out there. They should be changing their playlist at Breakfast and Drive to feature more fresh hits and less throwbacks.

2 Likes

Nova is back to using Fresh Hits on the Smallzy morning show.

And they played the fresh hit from Dax project featuring Hailey Steinfeld. Only problem this is not a fresh hit, it has been on the playlist of The Edge and Nova 106.9 for close to three months.

Apart from that it is the best morning show they have produced for a long time.

1 Like

It’s still all over the place. Fitzy this morning was promoting songs you’ll hear later this morning on the “Greatest Hits Workday” with Smallzy. But later Smallzy wasn’t calling it that.

I agree, it doesn’t know what it wants to be it.

Apart from that the music this morning has been really good. With Smallzy adding new tracks that normally don’t get a spin.

Fresh Hits or Mouldy Oldies?

1 Like